White Sox’s Romy Gonzalez Undergoes Labrum Surgery

South Side Hit Men

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/white-soxs-romy-gonzalez-undergoes-labrum-surgery.html

Didn't see this anywhere here. Romy is expected to be ready for Spring Training.

His last game was June 17, he is eligible for the MLB minimum through 2025.

What time is the White Sox Doomsday Clock after this injury @Texsox? 1 minute 'til midnight?

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Still had another option year. Doubt Sox cut bait yet.

They will need to reinstate him to the 40 man roster at the start of the off season. You are right, he's probably worth a spot for another chance. 

Rick Hahn (Probably) - "Romy is one of those guys who is critical to any success we hope to have in 2024. We had hoped we could just have him do some shoulder exercises and he'd be ok, but after that didn't work for 2+ months, we decided surgery made the most sense."

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wish him but if you’re serious about winning and building a sustained winner, Romy Gonzalez had no business being on your major league roster.

We know they aren't about that. Mid level finishes with an occasional first round exit. That's our boys. :gosox4:

10 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wish him but if you’re serious about winning and building a sustained winner, Romy Gonzalez had no business being on your major league roster.

I get that we're used to making this judgement after seeing guys struggle, but turning it the other way - when you have a 24 year old who hits 24 HR in 404 plate appearances between AA and AAA, has a 10.6% walk rate that year, an .896 OPS, goes 24/30 on stolen bases, and you can't turn this guy into a big league utility player so you wind up signing someone else who has no business on a major league roster for several million dollars, (most recent example: Elvis Andrus), then you're also failing to do what is needed to build a sustained winner.

• Like 3

It sucks. Romy made huge leaps in a professional baseball career and worked hard on being versatile, but he's been extremely injury prone. So much timing and luck here. That said, he's going to be squeezed soon by guys that did similar things, he needed to establish himself and he didn't.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I get that we're used to making this judgement after seeing guys struggle, but turning it the other way - when you have a 24 year old who hits 24 HR in 404 plate appearances between AA and AAA, has a 10.6% walk rate that year, an .896 OPS, goes 24/30 on stolen bases, and you can't turn this guy into a big league utility player so you wind up signing someone else who has no business on a major league roster for several million dollars, (most recent example: Elvis Andrus), then you're also failing to do what is needed to build a sustained winner.

You’re absolutely right. The Sox PD at the ML level has failed him but this year he had 97 PA’s, he struck out 36 times and walked only twice. In 2022, he had 109 PA’s, he struck out 39 and walked twice. OPS+ of 72 and 56. He’s not good.

Romy is the kind of player that the Sox need to rid themselves of in that he can’t get on base and he has zero approach at the plate.

There’s better end of bench guys out there. I mean Zach Remillard is much, much better than Romy and is the perfect end of bench guy. 

26 minutes ago, oldsox said:

And yet, Romy was the better minor league player, was he not?

Sort of. Remillards been pretty consistent and also I can’t even remember him being injured. He has less outfield versatility though, and less power.

Him being like the exact player he was in AAA is surprising, sorta, but it’s why I thought he should have been up instead of Sosa for spells last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NWsideSoxfan said:

I liked Remiilard's play last night. Putting down a bunt, steal second, score the go ahead then a few nice defensive plays. He has been a nice surprise and I am pulling for him. Fundamental baseball can be refreshing.

I don't think he's a starter but he seems like a quality bench guy.

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don't think he's a starter but he seems like a quality bench guy.

To me, he's just like Romy, and Yolmer and Saladino.... they are all basically the same. They each will have their moments, but in the end, they just weren't good enough.  The funny thing is, for the most part, these guys were pretty solid fundamentally, but they wind up getting exposed, and their careers are over before you know it.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me, he's just like Romy, and Yolmer and Saladino.... they are all basically the same. They each will have their moments, but in the end, they just weren't good enough.  The funny thing is, for the most part, these guys were pretty solid fundamentally, but they wind up getting exposed, and their careers are over before you know it.

They end up playing more than they should be.

• Like 1