"Sell the Team Jerry" Game August 24th

palehose1

3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Can the White Sox go to Arlington Heights?

Eventually they could. Create Jerryland. A stadium with the team (shareholders) being landlords to multiple shops, bars, restaurants, hotels, parks, fitness centers, and other businesses. Renting space, developing buildings. All in a master planned community benefiting Jerry and his investors. Bwahahaha but he'd be stupid to leave the city. 

The Rangers generated about $40,000,000 this year from the businesses surrounding their new suburban stadium and sit atop their division. Winners all around. 

• Like 1

As someone who actually worked Arlington Heights Race Track and lives adjacent to the UPNW Metra line that will service it, let me tell Arlington Heights and the area around the track was a clusterfuck each year when they attempted to host the Arlington Million and “record crowds” of 25k-30k people. They had to thousands of people for miles and shuttle people for miles.

I understand there would be infrastructure improvements to add road capacity, and they ask do bought the adjacent hotel and additional land. That said, I don’t see either a football or baseball stadium happening there. I pity 80,000 fans trying to go there 10 times a year, and also the residents who are staunchly opposed to spending a penny of taxpayer money on this idea. The Bears are already hemming and hawing about having to pay property tax. Must be nice to get everything free for a century if your a billionaire.

As far as the Sox moving there, they would have trouble beating the Wolves attendance. There are few Sox fans in that area, and not many more from the South and West suburbs or Chicago willing to regularly make the trek there.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

So the idea is for people to fill the stadium to tell Jerry to sell the team. For some reason, I don’t think that is going to work. He will be laughing at people giving him money to tell him to sell the team. I’m pretty sure he already knows most White Sox fans wish he sold yesterday. It isn’t going to happen.

Yes, paying to watch a very bad team just to tell Jerry to sell isn't a great idea. Fans have been shouting at him to sell for a long time, and, as we all can see, it has had no effect. I don't understand how JR can watch this team sink to this level. But he won't sell, and fans taunting him will only increase his stubbornness.

8 minutes ago, Highland said:

Yes, paying to watch a very bad team just to tell Jerry to sell isn't a great idea. Fans have been shouting at him to sell for a long time, and, as we all can see, it has had no effect. I don't understand how JR can watch this team sink to this level. But he won't sell, and fans taunting him will only increase his stubbornness.

How about if the fans showed up outside the stadium and chant "sell the team". That way the point gets across with out the team making money off ticket sales.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

How about if the fans showed up outside the stadium and chant "sell the team". That way the point gets across with out the team making money off ticket sales.  

I don't think that will have any effect. JR's wife wanted him to sell, and that had no influence. Fans certainly won't have any influence. The most discouraging part is that public opinion, family concerns, and bad results on the field isn't changing anything. I don't think sinking attendance will change anything, either. We are stuck with things as they are. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is definitely a lot of truth to this. Every time they are good he has some sort of I told you so. The problem is , and what he won’t realize is there are way more I told you sos against him than with him.

One classic example came in 2000 when he showed up in the locker room in Minnesota after the Sox clinched and he said, 'I'm sure all Sox fans are now glad we made the White Flag Trade...'

And then of course this on national TV the night the Sox clinched in 1983:

"Harry and Jimmy wherever you are, eat your hearts out. I hope people realize what scum you are..."  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

One classic example came in 2000 when he showed up in the locker room in Minnesota after the Sox clinched and he said, 'I'm sure all Sox fans are now glad we made the White Flag Trade...'

"Harry and Jimmy wherever you are, eat your hearts out. I hope people realize what scum you are..."  

Don't forget signing Albert Belle, not to try to win a championship, not because he wanted to bring in a player fans could cheer and back. He brought him in to spite his fellow owners, and dumped him the first chance possible after he was done making a point.

58 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Don't forget signing Albert Belle, not to try to win a championship, not because he wanted to bring in a player fans could cheer and back. He brought him in to spite his fellow owners, and dumped him the first chance possible after he was done making a point.

That was always Jay Mariott's contention. And in fact the owners removed JR from the committee that advised the commissioner on labor issues over it. 

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I’ll always remember that night as I became a JR and EE hater and nothing has changed in these past 40 years to change my mind, even winning the WS. They showed their true colors that night and showed everyone that they were the scumbags.

• Love 1

On 8/20/2023 at 7:53 AM, Dick Allen said:

So the idea is for people to fill the stadium to tell Jerry to sell the team. For some reason, I don’t think that is going to work. He will be laughing at people giving him money to tell him to sell the team. I’m pretty sure he already knows most White Sox fans wish he sold yesterday. It isn’t going to happen.

I believe the rationale behind it would be that the entire stadium would be chanting to sell the team and would likely make national news. 

• Like 1