Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

2 hours ago, tray said:

If I had 2 Billion, I would never purchase an MLB team. Twitter would be a better investment.  Maybe if a salary cap  and other changes were agreed upon, and teams were able to gain a larger share of revenue streams beyond attendance. There are way too many variables with player contracts, injuries, and a few teams perenially outspending others.

You're out of your mind. Billionaires have that money for a reason. If a pro sports team was a bad investment they wouldn't be sold for billions and people wouldn't be lining up to get one.

Edited by T R U
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I was told a few times the Cubs privately were actually ridiculing Hahn for being willing to take Eloy in the trade. That they had inklings of his "injury" prone tendencies for whatever reason.

I was told Hahn would get really pissed when he'd hear about what the Cubs were saying from third parties. 

Every time you say this, it makes me think your source is either fucking with you or is a complete moron.

The "for whatever reason" is cause s%*# like this happened. He still hit the f*** out of the ball and the Cubs could have traded the Quintana package for something much more.

The Cubs got clowned for that trade, continued getting clowned for that trade, and their "revenge" for Eloy and Dylan Cease is Madrigal and Heuer. And according to Kaplan, Ed Howard was "revenge" for the Quintana trade. Take that with a grain of salt though, cause it was probably Kaplan running on copium.

If the Cubs were ridiculing Hahn for trading the #7 prospect in baseball (I believe that was his mid-season rank, he became #4 afterwards) and Dylan Cease for Jose Quintana (and I love Quintana), then the Cubs were ahead of the curve on marijuana legalization in the state of Illinois.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

Every time you say this, it makes me think your source is either fucking with you or is a complete moron.

The "for whatever reason" is cause s%*# like this happened. He still hit the f*** out of the ball and the Cubs could have traded the Quintana package for something much more.

The Cubs got clowned for that trade, continued getting clowned for that trade, and their "revenge" for Eloy and Dylan Cease is Madrigal and Heuer. And according to Kaplan, Ed Howard was "revenge" for the Quintana trade. Take that with a grain of salt though, cause it was probably Kaplan running on copium.

If the Cubs were ridiculing Hahn for trading the #7 prospect in baseball (I believe that was his mid-season rank, he became #4 afterwards) and Dylan Cease for Jose Quintana (and I love Quintana), then the Cubs were ahead of the curve on marijuana legalization in the state of Illinois.

Eloy was in the 20s when he was acquired, at least in BA. He then destroyed hi-a in august and was universally top 10. 

He also had a 130 wRC+ in 2019.

And you are 100% right on how people forget about opportunity cost in this. They lost a cy young finalist and eventual top ten prospect in baseball for a guy that didn't move the needle. It was Hahn's second best trade imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Eloy was in the 20s when he was acquired, at least in BA. He then destroyed hi-a in august and was universally top 10. 

He also had a 130 wRC+ in 2019.

And you are 100% right on how people forget about opportunity cost in this. They lost a cy young finalist and eventual top ten prospect in baseball for a guy that didn't move the needle. It was Hahn's second best trade imo.

A Silver Slugger nonetheless! He probably would have been an All-Star in 2020.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2023/8/22/23840480/the-value-of-a-stadium-entertainment-district

This is exactly what the Royals are selling...

A new stadium, entertainment district AND a likely extension to Bobby Witt, Jr., to build everything around.

The Sox don't have any of these three...except for a stadium largely based on Kauffman minus the OF fountains.  Upper decks are almost exactly the same...down to the rake/angle.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Quin: If I gave you the persons name you'd recognize it. And I don't think you'd think they were either fucking with me or is a complete moron. They were telling me what they heard and they'd be in a position to know.

I'm not saying it was a good deal or a bad one, if the Cubs were right or wrong. But it is a fact Eloy has missed time 19 times now by DVS's count in the Sun-Times.

They told me the Cubs privately in baseball circles were laughing at Hahn over Eloy, he found out about it and got pissed.

That's all I know, do with it as you wish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

Where, in the Sox territory of Chicagoland, could they realistically build a stadium and entertainment district? 

Roosevelt Road near the Chicago River. This would be southwest of the Loop.

With the recent shooting and of course we've always had an image probem, makes one wonder if a move might be the answer. WOuld this be our legacy? Will becoming a past tense be our idenitity? Down the road, will seeing a Sox hat remind you of the Montreal Expos or the Minnesota North Stars? Or Baltimore COlts? 

On 8/24/2023 at 7:59 PM, WBWSF said:

Roosevelt Road near the Chicago River. This would be southwest of the Loop.

If they stay in the city, this is the place. 
It’s exact location is just south of Roosevelt Road, east of the River and west of Clark street,

Edited by The Mighty Mite

29 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

If they stay in the city, this is the place. 
It’s exact location is just south of Roosevelt Road, east of the River and west of Clark street,

This whole situation is really odd. The old Comiskey Park had to be replaced. It was falling apart. There is nothing wrong with the present park. It is not falling down. There is no reason to leave it, none.  You would think at 87 years old JR would not concern himself with a new stadium.  I do know that if JR wants a new stadium and doesn't  get one he definitely has a backup plan. He would move the team out of state if he  received  an offer from some other city who provided him with a stadium.

36 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This whole situation is really odd. The old Comiskey Park had to be replaced. It was falling apart. There is nothing wrong with the present park. It is not falling down. There is no reason to leave it, none.  You would think at 87 years old JR would not concern himself with a new stadium.  I do know that if JR wants a new stadium and doesn't  get one he definitely has a backup plan. He would move the team out of state if he  received  an offer from some other city who provided him with a stadium.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the ballpark, even though the upper deck is steep I’ve seen some of the new parks with upper decks just as steep. The thing is that the Sox at 35th and Shields have never been a huge draw, they are one of the few franchises in MLB and the only big market team that has failed to draw 3 million fans in a season, true Sox fans will travel there to see a game but the casual fans and the out of towers will not. 
It’s location, location, location.

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

With the recent shooting and of course we've always had an image probem, makes one wonder if a move might be the answer. WOuld this be our legacy? Will becoming a past tense be our idenitity? Down the road, will seeing a Sox hat remind you of the Montreal Expos or the Minnesota North Stars? Or Baltimore COlts? 

Oh I love collecting old teams memorabilia. Hartford Whalers, Chicago Cardinals, Houston Oilers. Maybe soon the white so . If they move will they change the name like the Oilers did?

22 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

A shiny new stadium attracts casual fans, folks will come for a few years just to see it. The players won't matter as much. A sweet stadium deal makes the franchise more valuable. Marginally it may be a tiny factor on the decision of free agents.

It's bragging rights when he's chilling with the other owners. 

Who wouldn't want a new car if it was gifted to them no matter the condition of their old one. 

Just now, Texsox said:

A shiny new stadium attracts casual fans, folks will come for a few years just to see it. The players won't matter as much. A sweet stadium deal makes the franchise more valuable. Marginally it may be a tiny factor on the decision of free agents.

It's bragging rights when he's chilling with the other owners. 

Who wouldn't want a new car if it was gifted to them no matter the condition of their old one. 

I still don't understand some of it. Who's going to pay for the stadium? I know enough about JR to know he has a plan about a new stadium. I know he spent over $17 million on land by The United Center recently. Maybe the plan is to put a stadium there. We shall see.

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I still don't understand some of it. Who's going to pay for the stadium? I know enough about JR to know he has a plan about a new stadium. I know he spent over $17 million on land by The United Center recently. Maybe the plan is to put a stadium there. We shall see.

Politicians in cities without a MLB team line up to build stadiums with promises of booming entertainment areas and economic growth. 

https://scrippsnews.com/stories/billions-of-taxpayer-dollars-are-funding-sports-stadiums/

Out of the 124 teams in the four largest North American professional sports leagues, the vast majority play in venues either built using public funds or that were taxpayer-subsidized in some way. It can lead to large amounts of money paid from local governments to teams. 

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I’d say congrats to JR. He just found a location more dangerous than our current spot.

16 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

maybe JRs grand plan was to build a great team, Build a beautiful new stadium we deserve and then fade away with a grand legacy. Trying to make amends. 
or maybe not

37 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’d say congrats to JR. He just found a location more dangerous than our current spot.

I moved to Florida 30 years ago but I thought I read somewhere that the area around the United Center and the near West Side is the next hot spot in the city. 
Personally, I don’t think it’s that great as it’s a long walk from the Loop.

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I moved to Florida 30 years ago but I thought I read somewhere that the area around the United Center and the near West Side is the next hot spot in the city. 

There are a lot of quick buses from the loop. The trains aren’t that close though which is kind of annoying. But still I would rather go to the UC than soldier field at any given time. 

However…man when it is cold it sucks sometimes if you don’t have a favorable connection.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It is definitely going up, but I’d say it’s still in that transition phase. It will become safer as gentrification sets in more, but that will be an issue in itself.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

There are a lot of quick buses from the loop. The trains aren’t that close though which is kind of annoying. But still I would rather go to the UC than soldier field at any given time. 

However…man when it is cold it sucks sometimes if you don’t have a favorable connection.

I remember many times back in the day taking the Madison Ave bus out to Chicago Stadium to see Blackhawk games and remember many cold snowy nights. 
When I was 14 in 1960 a good buddy and I went downtown to see Mayor Richard J. Daley’s torch light parade for JFK the Friday night before the election, some pol gave us Vote For JFK signs and we marched out to the Stadium down Madison Ave and were able to see JFK make a speech, we sat in an aisle way up in the second balcony. After the speech we walked back downtown and the parade was still going on, that was Mayor Daley for you. BTW 14 year old kids could do stuff like that back then with blessings from our parents.