Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

19 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

People are hit all the time from guns being shot up in the air. Those bullets come down with the same velocity they went up. It's not implausible. 

the story said there was no muzzle flash. People didn't run, and the injuries would have been more severe had it come from the park. The crazy thing is how 2 bullets can travel around a mile , let alone how ever high they went up,and wind up so close together.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The crazy thing is how 2 bullets can travel around a mile , let alone how ever high they went up,and wind up so close together.

Every single person with a vested interest in this (Mayor, Jerry, CPS Teacher) benefits with the magic bullets theory. None of these same people benefit if what likely happened is confirmed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The crazy thing is how 2 bullets can travel around a mile , let alone how ever high they went up,and wind up so close together.

Not really "magic bullets". It's not infrequent. 

https://science.howstuffworks.com/question281.htm#:~:text=If you fire a gun,apogee%2C the bullet will fall.

There aren't good statistics on how often this happens across the U.S., but news reports describe numerous fatalities over the years. This 2015 article from The Trace, for example, describes two cases of children killed by falling bullets apparently fired during Fourth of July celebrations in 2011 and 2012. A 2004 study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day of that year, bullets from celebratory gunfire caused 19 injuries and one death. Thirty-six percent of the victims were struck on the top of the head, with feet (26 percent) and shoulders (16 percent) the next most common injury sites. A 2017 Miami Herald article cites numerous instances over the years, including at least 20 people killed in Iraq in 2003 by celebratory gunfire after the death of Saddam Hussein's sons Uday and Qusay.

the story said there was no muzzle flash. People didn't run, and the injuries would have been more severe had it come from the park. The crazy thing is how 2 bullets can travel around a mile , let alone how ever high they went up,and wind up so close together.

And I'm wrong. Reading another article, they only come down with about 10% of the velocity they went up with, but 300 feet per second (330 km/hr) is still enough to pierce a skull. 

https://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95523.htm#:~:text=A bullet is fired at,the downward suck of gravity.

With the distance a bullet can travel there really isn't any safe place in the city. 

We've discussed the possibilities of a long distance shot a few pages back. While I still believe it's entirely possible the shot came from outside it's like Rich Strike winning the Derby, the longest of long shots. 

Because they didn’t.

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

With the distance a bullet can travel there really isn't any safe place in the city. 

We've discussed the possibilities of a long distance shot a few pages back. While I still believe it's entirely possible the shot came from outside it's like Rich Strike winning the Derby, the longest of long shots. 

This is the best way to look at it. It is theoretically possible, I’m sure. But it absolutely did not happen 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

This is the best way to look at it. It is theoretically possible, I’m sure. But it absolutely did not happen 😆

I guess it's so much more plausible that one or more people stood up, sprayed bullets into the crowd in the left field bleachers, hit a few people, but nobody saw or heard them. Maybe somebody fired a couple shots 20 years from now, and it went through a hole in time. 

• TLR 1

My friend has a friend in the CPD.  Here is the story.  Makes this strange occurrence make more sense now.

“So she indeed snuck a 25 auto so just little bigger than a 22 handgun inside her fat. She went to adjust the gun at her seat when it accidentally discharged and grazed her and struck her friend in leg. Best part. All of them are CPS teachers.

Teacher appreciation night at the cell. Initial cop commander says to stop game. He's overridden by mayor and top cop to not say anything and the coverup begins with the outside bullet theory. Mayor has silenced all cops. They have them on video. Another teacher picks up the gun and runs out of stadium. This fat teacher is best friends with the mayor and is actually lives in suburbs which is illegal for CPS teachers to do.”

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

And I'm wrong. Reading another article, they only come down with about 10% of the velocity they went up with, but 300 feet per second (330 km/hr) is still enough to pierce a skull. 

https://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95523.htm#:~:text=A bullet is fired at,the downward suck of gravity.

That's only if it is shot literally DIRECTLY up into the air, without any angle. In that scenario you only have gravity pushing down and then the drag of the air pushing up and limiting it to terminal velocity. Basically impossible to shoot it directly up, and if you didn't would land close to where it was fired. If it is shot on an angle, it still keeps the horizontal velocity and would be much faster, depending on the angle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Even John Wick couldn't pull that one off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

That's only if it is shot literally DIRECTLY up into the air, without any angle. In that scenario you only have gravity pushing down and then the drag of the air pushing up and limiting it to terminal velocity. Basically impossible to shoot it directly up, and if you didn't would land close to where it was fired. If it is shot on an angle, it still keeps the horizontal velocity and would be much faster, depending on the angle. 

PhysicsTalk

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

My friend has a friend in the CPD.  Here is the story.  Makes this strange occurrence make more sense now.

“So she indeed snuck a 25 auto so just little bigger than a 22 handgun inside her fat. She went to adjust the gun at her seat when it accidentally discharged and grazed her and struck her friend in leg. Best part. All of them are CPS teachers.

Teacher appreciation night at the cell. Initial cop commander says to stop game. He's overridden by mayor and top cop to not say anything and the coverup begins with the outside bullet theory. Mayor has silenced all cops. They have them on video. Another teacher picks up the gun and runs out of stadium. This fat teacher is best friends with the mayor and is actually lives in suburbs which is illegal for CPS teachers to do.”

Your friend is wise. Occams Razor gang. Maybe ask if the controversial Shot Spotter (RIP) hit anywhere in the vicinity (all 009th district) WITHIN the time of the incident. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’d say there are probably some leaps made in this statement, but it’s likely pretty close to the truth based on the facts that have come out.

16 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I guess it's so much more plausible that one or more people stood up, sprayed bullets into the crowd in the left field bleachers, hit a few people, but nobody saw or heard them. Maybe somebody fired a couple shots 20 years from now, and it went through a hole in time. 

I know it’s a longer thread, but I’d suggest you read through it.

7 hours ago, Pal said:

Your friend is wise. Occams Razor gang. Maybe ask if the controversial Shot Spotter (RIP) hit anywhere in the vicinity (all 009th district) WITHIN the time of the incident. 

If I remember correctly, there was a Shot Spotter notification within about 5 minutes of the incident a few miles away (or more?). The trajectory the bullet(s) would have had to travel makes it ridiculous to think it’d hit more than one person. And if it were multiple shots, it’s just as ridiculous to think they’d land in such close proximity to each other.

I don’t doubt for a second that a report would be issued that would be politically and economically convenient. It’s disappointing though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

I know it’s a longer thread, but I’d suggest you read through it.

I have.

I've lived in Chicago my whole life, and have heard many rumors from people who "know a guy who knows a guy in the CPD", or "know a fireman", or whatever. Most of them somehow link to Jesse Jackson, Oprah, Harold Washington, or some other famous black person. Excuse me if I don't suspend all doubt and jump in both feet first on this one. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The dumbest part of the conspiracy is that Brandon Johnson is keeping the cops silent. If there was any evidence of that, that s%*# would have leaked out yesterday. 

And everybody jumping up to high five each other that it was a teacher who lived outside of Chicago. I'm shocked that the guy who knew the guy who knew the guy on the CPD didn't also know the teacher was collecting food stamps illegally, and sharing the money with Pastor Jeremiah Wright and the Jackie Robinson West Little League team. 

I don't remember people bending themselves into pretzel shapes to link up William Ligue to Mayor Daley, and hearing from a guy who knew a guy in the electrician's union that he was a 10th ward precinct captain under Vrdolyak. 

Edited by WestEddy

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The dumbest part of the conspiracy is that Brandon Johnson is keeping the cops silent. If there was any evidence of that, that s%*# would have leaked out yesterday. 

Awful and corrupt Chicago mayors that have no respect for law enforcement.  Where have we seen that before?  Crazy!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

And everybody jumping up to high five each other that it was a teacher who lived outside of Chicago. I'm shocked that the guy who knew the guy who knew the guy on the CPD didn't also know the teacher was collecting food stamps illegally, and sharing the money with Pastor Jeremiah Wright and the Jackie Robinson West Little League team. 

I don't remember people bending themselves into pretzel shapes to link up William Ligue to Mayor Daley, and hearing from a guy who knew a guy in the electrician's union that he was a 10th ward precinct captain under Vrdolyak. 

I don't recall William Ligue shooting two people at Comiskey Park, walking scot-free out of the park. No prosecution, telling the cops to go f*** themselves.

CPD bending the knee to Johnson and his CTU boss out in South Bend, Indiana.

And you're out of your element Buehrle-Wood.

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Awful and corrupt Chicago mayors that have no respect for law enforcement.  Where have we seen that before?  Crazy!

I think you're missing the point there. If BJ does indeed have no respect for law enforcement and tries to muzzle them about what really happened, well, then said law enforcement certainly isn't going to do that. They would have leaked that by now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't recall William Ligue shooting two people at Comiskey Park, walking scot-free out of the park. No prosecution, telling the cops to go f*** themselves.

CPD bending the knee to Johnson and his CTU boss out in South Bend, Indiana.

And you're out of your element Buehrle-Wood.

And I don't remember this woman assaulting people she didn't know. I'm pretty sure Ligue had some words for the arresting officers. I sure hope they bring this teacher to justice. She sounds real dangerous, and worthy of a lot of overtime.