8/30 GAMETHREAD Gibson v. Cease

Timmy U

22 minutes ago, T R U said:

It is what I am talking about. You can put me in the group that thinks if you didn't touch the ball it shouldn't be an error.

I think that official scorers have the capacity to assume that the catch or fielded ball should have been madeĀ 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think he's bailing out. It's not painfully obvious but he's terrible on pitches in the strike zone on the outer edge . Plus he doesn't have much of a stride I really dislike not having a stride be part of your timing and power mechanism. Has to be a transfer of weight from the back side to the front side.

Yeah I noticed that too. Awkward swings on the outer third against lefties - even if he makes contact it'd be a soft grounder or popup somewhere.

Jimenez is quietly having a decent year.Ā  HIs ground ball rate is atrocious, though.Ā  Even Jason and Steve were talking about how bad it is.Ā  His power numbers would be much better if he could start hitting the ball in the air.Ā  But, he's been surprisingly healthy, his average is up there, and he's been a DH for about 85% of his plate appearances.

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think that official scorers have the capacity to assume that the catch or fielded ball should have been madeĀ 

Correct an error can be charged even if the fielder never touched the ball.Ā 

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Jimenez is quietly having a decent year.Ā  HIs ground ball rate is atrocious, though.Ā  Even Jason and Steve were talking about how bad it is.Ā  His power numbers would be much better if he could start hitting the ball in the air.Ā  But, he's been surprisingly healthy, his average is up there, and he's been a DH for about 85% of his plate appearances.

I think they can fix the GB rate (well, SOMEONE can... who knows if these bozos can), so I'm cautiously optimistic with him.

33 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Jimenez is quietly having a decent year.Ā  HIs ground ball rate is atrocious, though.Ā Ā 

I could say the same about Vaughn. He's having a quiet, 'decent' year. Sort of. I thought the Sox would have a lot of games like today in the preseason. Lineup on paper indicated they might hit more than occasionally.

Fundamentals are an unknown word to this organization. But Grifol I'm sure is "working on it" to "clear things up".

šŸ˜†

Oscar ColĆ”s made an on-target throw to second, which shouldā€™ve nailed Anthony Santander, but Tim Anderson dropped the ball on the tag.

Cease ignored Ryan Oā€™Hearn at first base until Oā€™Hearn got a huge jump toward second. Thatā€™s when Cease looked back to second base, except he had to continue his motion home or accept a balk. He then fired a fastball into Cedric Mullins for a doofy-looking HBP.

Adam Frazier singled to right, and even though Oā€™Hearn held up, he still made it home unchallenged because Tim Anderson went to the wrong base.

Frazier stole second even though Cease picked him off, because Andrew Vaughn froze up out of fear of allowing Mullins to score from third.

Neither Lenyn Sosa nor Vaughn are able to catch a Jordan Westburg popup near the netting in foul territory, and Westburg hit a sac fly to center with his second life.

The White Sox were able to get the third out by correctly cutting the ball off and executing a one-throw rundown, although Orioles broadcaster Kevin Brown roasted them as the play unfolded, saying, ā€œLetā€™s see if the White Sox can figure this one out.ā€

51 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Says something when we give Kudos to the players for executing plays that they should have learned years ago, IE fundamentals

IE, isn't Getz in charge of fundamentals and player development in the minors? Ā I expect the announcement to come sometime over the Holiday Weekend. Perhaps Saturday afternoon. Ā This team is so predictable.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Fundamentals are an unknown word to this organization. But Grifol I'm sure is "working on it" to "clear things up".

šŸ˜†

Oscar ColĆ”s made an on-target throw to second, which shouldā€™ve nailed Anthony Santander, but Tim Anderson dropped the ball on the tag.

Cease ignored Ryan Oā€™Hearn at first base until Oā€™Hearn got a huge jump toward second. Thatā€™s when Cease looked back to second base, except he had to continue his motion home or accept a balk. He then fired a fastball into Cedric Mullins for a doofy-looking HBP.

Adam Frazier singled to right, and even though Oā€™Hearn held up, he still made it home unchallenged because Tim Anderson went to the wrong base.

Frazier stole second even though Cease picked him off, because Andrew Vaughn froze up out of fear of allowing Mullins to score from third.

Neither Lenyn Sosa nor Vaughn are able to catch a Jordan Westburg popup near the netting in foul territory, and Westburg hit a sac fly to center with his second life.

The White Sox were able to get the third out by correctly cutting the ball off and executing a one-throw rundown, although Orioles broadcaster Kevin Brown roasted them as the play unfolded, saying, ā€œLetā€™s see if the White Sox can figure this one out.ā€

wow.

• Like 1