Getz goes into detail...

Lip Man 1

14 hours ago, Chimpton said:

“These last couple of weeks of the season, I need to spend more time with Pedro, the coaching staff and the players just to learn more about areas that we need to get better,” Getz said.

Learn more about areas we need to get better, that would be pitching, hitting fielding, trading, drafting, player development, have I missed anything?

Why does he have to spend time with Pedro or anyone else? Just watch this team for 2 or 3 games and you'll see what's wrong. You're right. Weaknesses are everywhere.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wegner said:

Just a thought, but I would say a smarter team would have traded Vaughn for a AA pitcher and moved Burger to 1B. Jake would have hit for more power and played better defense than AV.

Now we have Getz relying on this crappy coaching staff to evaluate talent? That's nuts.

Exactly what team wanted Andrew Vaughn as an upgrade at the trade deadline? Teams that make deadline moves are trying to get better or to tear down. Who needs a middling 1b? If I did, I’m not giving you a decent AA starter for him, he’s one step away from being nontendered or available on waivers.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Exactly what team wanted Andrew Vaughn as an upgrade at the trade deadline? Teams that make deadline moves are trying to get better or to tear down. Who needs a middling 1b? If I did, I’m not giving you a decent AA starter for him, he’s one step away from being nontendered or available on waivers.

Sorry but the jury is actually out on us getting a decent AA pitcher. That trade sucked ass.

• TLR 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A fair point, but I can’t imagine why anyone would think Vaughn has any trade value either way. He’s burned that.

My point actually was that they should have kept Burger over Vaughn. I just mentioned a AA pitcher cause that was the return for Jake. I agree if Vaughn has trade value, it's not much.

• TLR 1

56 minutes ago, wegner said:

My point actually was that they should have kept Burger over Vaughn. I just mentioned a AA pitcher cause that was the return for Jake. I agree if Vaughn has trade value, it's not much.

Since he was traded, third baseman Jake Burger was batting .305/.359/.516 with six homers and an .875 OPS in 34 games for the Marlins through Saturday. Between the Sox and Marlins, the former Sox first-round draft pick has 31 homers, 25 doubles, 69 RBI and an .827 OPS.

Left-hander Jake Eder, the Double-A pitcher the Sox got in return, is 0-3 with an 11.42 ERA in five starts at Birmingham.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Since he was traded, third baseman Jake Burger was batting .305/.359/.516 with six homers and an .875 OPS in 34 games for the Marlins through Saturday. Between the Sox and Marlins, the former Sox first-round draft pick has 31 homers, 25 doubles, 69 RBI and an .827 OPS.

Left-hander Jake Eder, the Double-A pitcher the Sox got in return, is 0-3 with an 11.42 ERA in five starts at Birmingham.

I kinda hate Kenny Williams 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Eh, Burger had trade value. If he had a bad second half with the White Sox or had an injury, that could have gone to zero really fast. From my perspective where the next 3 years are basically written off already, I get the concept of moving him and holding Vaughn. Whether they did their usual quality on the return, I don’t know yet. But, I still won’t get bent out of shape about Burger being a difference maker for this flopped franchise, because he wasn’t when he was here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I'm Jerry I'm pissed not because who they received or did not receive in the Miami trade but that they dumped a viable salary controlled starter over the next few years. Especially since this was reported to have nixxed at Tim Anderson trade, so cost Jerry $13M net (Burger vs. Anderson), was likely the last straw in his eyes to dump both Kenny and Rick, who also keeps on giving with the Benintendi debacle.

$X - Arb / FA Estimates

Estimated 2024 Payroll $125.7M

Lineup (9) $59.2M: C Lee ($0.7M); 1B Vaughn ($1.3M); 2B Sosa ($0.7M)' 3B Moncada ($24.8M); SS Gonzalez ($0.7M); LF Benintendi ($17.1M); CF Robert Jr. ($12.5M); RF Colas ($0.7M); DH/3B Burger ($0.7M).

Reserves (4) $3.1M: C Perez ($0.7M); INF Remillard ($0.7M); 1B/DH G. Sheets ($0.7M); OF Thompson ($1.0M).

Rotation (6) $24.9M: Greinke ($8.0M); Cease ($7.5M); Kopech ($3.5M); Urena ($2.0M); Toussaint ($2.5M); Patino ($1.2M).

Bullpen (9) $28.0M: Hendriks ($15.0M); Bummer ($5.5M); Shaw ($2.0M); Crochet ($1.5M); Lambert ($1.2M); Santos ($0.7M); Banks ($0.7M); Padilla ($0.7M); Ramsey ($0.7M).

Buyouts $10.5M: $5.5M Leury; $4.0M Clevinger; $1.0M Diekman.

Trade away ($0.0M): Eloy ($13.8M).

On 9/10/2023 at 7:09 AM, Texsox said:

We have a front row seat to a guy who threw away a long term baseball career on a couple years as GM. You can't recover from this organization.  He needed to get out not up.  

I hope he saves his money. 

This is crazy talk; Chris Getz is set for life in the baseball world and he owes it to Jerry. What a break.

Jim Bowden still has a job in the baseball space and he is about as toxic as you can find.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is crazy talk; Chris Getz is set for life in the baseball world and he owes it to Jerry. What a break.

Jim Bowden still has a job in the baseball space and he is about as toxic as you can find.

*vaguely gestures at Dayton Moore*

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Eh, Burger had trade value. If he had a bad second half with the White Sox or had an injury, that could have gone to zero really fast. From my perspective where the next 3 years are basically written off already, I get the concept of moving him and holding Vaughn. Whether they did their usual quality on the return, I don’t know yet. But, I still won’t get bent out of shape about Burger being a difference maker for this flopped franchise, because he wasn’t when he was here.

But a 1:1 trade for Burger wasn't good. I was consistent in my views leading up to the trade, given how cost controlled he was, I didn't like the idea of moving him, unless you got real value for him.  Because if Burger actually was able to develop and get better (which is not crazy given how little MLB exposure he has had) - than you are talking about a pretty valuable guy given the years of service.  When I say better - I mean, improve the walk rate a bit, improve the contact rate a bit, maintain his power, and continue to refine his defense at 3B (where I think he's definitely serviceable).  

I got the concept of trading him - I would have rather traded Eloy or someone else and If I were to trade him, I get trading him for pitching, but a 1:1 for deal like this puts a ton of risk cause you are giving up a cost controlled major leaguer for a minor leaguer with injury issues, albeit with a draft pedigree.  

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

But a 1:1 trade for Burger wasn't good. I was consistent in my views leading up to the trade, given how cost controlled he was, I didn't like the idea of moving him, unless you got real value for him.  Because if Burger actually was able to develop and get better (which is not crazy given how little MLB exposure he has had) - than you are talking about a pretty valuable guy given the years of service.  When I say better - I mean, improve the walk rate a bit, improve the contact rate a bit, maintain his power, and continue to refine his defense at 3B (where I think he's definitely serviceable).  

I got the concept of trading him - I would have rather traded Eloy or someone else and If I were to trade him, I get trading him for pitching, but a 1:1 for deal like this puts a ton of risk cause you are giving up a cost controlled major leaguer for a minor leaguer with injury issues, albeit with a draft pedigree.  

Much like Vaughn, who is giving you pitching of any ability at all for Eloy Jimenez? Eloy is on the edge of not worth his contract, if you trade him you are hoping for at best salary savings, nothing that makes this team better long term.

Eloy for a 28 year old A ball reliever is a pretty fair deal, and frankly I’d probably have done that too, but again I think the next 3 years are lost anyway so I have no urge to pay Eloys remaining money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe it's just Sox managers that aren't given another look. 

So where will Hahn land?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Much like Vaughn, who is giving you pitching of any ability at all for Eloy Jimenez? Eloy is on the edge of not worth his contract, if you trade him you are hoping for at best salary savings, nothing that makes this team better long term.

Eloy for a 28 year old A ball reliever is a pretty fair deal, and frankly I’d probably have done that too, but again I think the next 3 years are lost anyway so I have no urge to pay Eloys remaining money.

That is where I think about what the Sox traded in Burger vs. what they traded for in Eloy.

For Eloy to be a player worth his contract - he needs to be healthy and an elite hitter. He has the tools to do so, but has not shown the availability and more recently the power necessary to overcome. So if you could get financial savings for him and a raw flyer, done.  

Vaughn - I put him similar to Eloy, other than they don't have a major contract. But for Vaughn to be a very good player - he has to be an elite hitter because he has ZERO positional value.  Again - I would trade this player all day long, especially if there was a team who thought more highly of him. At this point - I get if the Sox didn't want to because he's at least cheap and cost controlled for a while.  

For Burger - he plays a position and is adequate at it, does not have a huge contract, but does have durability concerns, largely stemming back to early in his career, but they were a series of devasting injuries. This makes him old for his age, but he's still young in terms of developmental time.  Contract wise he's got a ton of service time and no major LT cash risk at this point.  For him - slight improvements in walk rate and contact rates, while maintaining his defense and power - would make him a pretty valuable player (say a 3-4 WAR kind of guy).  Downside is - he's a platoon player who can backup at 3B / 1B against righties. Still has a value given his service time, etc.  

On 9/10/2023 at 1:54 AM, SoxAce said:

I believe Getz WANTS to do it. But I still believe Reinsdorf will be the one who WON'T let him do it. Then the backlash will begin people saying Getz isn't doing anything. That's the issue.

maybe? I think reinsdorf's number one goal was to keep a best friend.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 5:45 AM, Dick Allen said:

Our guy who was hired because he was supposed to know the team, is talking to reporters in Detroit trying to figure things out. Meanwhile, other teams’ execs are scouting in Japan. 

this has been a Mickey Mouse operation. Nothing changes with Getz.

ha that is funny. 

The defensive abilities of sox players have been so bad for almost 15 years now. We have several examples now, with Semien and Narvaez, of players that were more naturally capable of better defense that this org couldn't tap into.

We also have players like Castillo, who had a plus defensive skill that regressed on the sox.

And we hired the player development guy and he thinks it's a player problem not a coaching one. 

I'm skeptical!

• Like 3