Merkin teases possibility of a Clevinger reunion in 2024, Kopech in rotation next year as well

caulfield12

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-clevinger-records-quality-start-in-tough-luck-loss-vs-royals

“He gets his stuff done and he gets himself ready to pitch,” Grifol said. “This was a good outing, a really good outing. The ball is jumping out of his hand. He’s been really fun to watch this year.”

With a 3.61 ERA over 21 starts, Clevinger has been the most consistent member of the ‘23 White Sox rotation. The team has only Cease as a set starter for ‘24, although Grifol has said Michael Kopech is a starter moving forward despite currently working out of the bullpen.

So, could Clevinger be a fit in Chicago beyond this one year? The White Sox have a $12 million mutual option, the sort of options not often picked up with both sides needed in the mix, with a $4 million buyout.

“We’ll see. They haven’t talked to me about anything,” Clevinger said. “I’m definitely open to talking with them. We’ll see where it goes. Right now, my body is in a great spot and everything is coming out nice.”

Edited by caulfield12
  • TLR 1

• caulfield12 changed the title to Merkin teases possibility of a Clevinger reunion in 2024, Kopech in rotation next year as well

If Clevinger is back on this team next year, I'm done. Sometimes for a player it isn't about stats. This isn't an A.J. Pierzynski situation and if Reinsdorf thinks that, then he's even more clueless than I can ever imagine. Clevinger is a grade A piece of s%*# and a cancer. The type of guy I'll never root for in any circumstance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

If Clevinger is back on this team next year, I'm done. Sometimes for a player it isn't about stats. This isn't an A.J. Pierzynski situation and if Reinsdorf thinks that, then he's even more clueless than I can ever imagine. Clevinger is a grade A piece of s%*# and a cancer. The type of guy I'll never root for in any circumstance. 

I think I'm out until JR is no longer the owner, anyway, but this will certainly only help in that decision.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

On WSCR they were making fun of Pedro/Sox for apparently being literally the only team that wants him. Because they must be so much smarter. Last comment mine.

Consider the teams that are still hanging on that need a pitcher who has done well. There must be some quite insider stuff happening among execs that are not leaked to the public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only reason Clevinger went unclaimed is because he was owed the buyout, and he had just returned from injury. If the deadline was today, and he didn’t have that mutual buyout, multiple teams would hold their noses and claim him. Since he wasn’t suspended or anything, a team will pay him. I hope it’s not the White Sox. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The only reason Clevinger went unclaimed is because he was owed the buyout, and he had just returned from injury. If the deadline was today, and he didn’t have that mutual buyout, multiple teams would hold their noses and claim him. Since he wasn’t suspended or anything, a team will pay him. I hope it’s not the White Sox. 

Frankly this is nonsense. He was owed $5.2 million for the month of September and the playoffs. You don’t think a competitive team needing pitching would pay that right now? The Rangers and Astros both took on just about that much per month for Scherzer and Verlander and gave up serious prospects too. The Dodgers took on $9 million for 2 months of Lynn and Kelly and gave up a top prospect on top of it. Giolito got claimed. Yet suddenly $5 million has become too pricey, for a guy with an ERA in the 3s? Not a chance.

Put yourself in the shoes of the 2021 White Sox, if Rodon was hurting and Lynn was hurt and Keuchel was struggling in August and a pitcher with no long term commitment became available for only $5 million, how pissed would you be if they didn’t put in a claim?  That’s the number 2 seed and home field advantage in that wild card round.

The reasons he is still here are entirely non baseball related.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Frankly this is nonsense. He was owed $5.2 million for the month of September and the playoffs. You don’t think a competitive team needing pitching would pay that right now? The Rangers and Astros both took on just about that much per month for Scherzer and Verlander and gave up serious prospects too. The Dodgers took on $9 million for 2 months of Lynn and Kelly and gave up a top prospect on top of it. Giolito got claimed. Yet suddenly $5 million has become too pricey, for a guy with an ERA in the 3s? Not a chance.

Put yourself in the shoes of the 2021 White Sox, if Rodon was hurting and Lynn was hurt and Keuchel was struggling in August and a pitcher with no long term commitment became available for only $5 million, how pissed would you be if they didn’t put in a claim?  That’s the number 2 seed and home field advantage in that wild card round.

The reasons he is still here are entirely non baseball related.

No. That’s the equivalent of a 30 million a year deal at that point most teams can’t add to their budget, plus he had just pitched one time the previous month and a half, I love how you ignore that to fit into your new claim that all teams except the White Sox give legit interviews to minorities and don’t employ scum.

It’s weird you mention Gio. His payout for the month will be a third of Clevinger. But it’s stuff like this you throw out there when you are just wrong. And top prospect for Lynn. A 23 year old with a 5.00 ERA in AA? I think the Dodgers have better prospects than that.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No. That’s the equivalent of a 30 million a year deal at that point most teams can’t add to their budget, plus he had just pitched one time the previous month and a half, I love how you ignore that to fit into your new claim that all teams except the White Sox give legit interviews to minorities and don’t employ scum.

It’s weird you mention Gio. His payout for the month will be a third of Clevinger. But it’s stuff like this you throw out there when you are just wrong. And top prospect for Lynn. A 23 year old with a 5.00 ERA in AA? I think the Dodgers have better prospects than that.

The Dodgers gave up their #8 prospect.

you're right, Gio's payout for September will be $2 million. He got all the way to Cleveland, a team who is not currently in the playoffs, and who typically doesn't exactly spend money. In August, Lucas Giolito gave up more runs than Mike Clevinger gave up hits, and that's a gamble worth $2 million to Cleveland. But teams are crying poor about $5 million? Malarkey.

• Thanks 1

I actually think there is a solid chance Clevinger does return.  From the Sox perspective, picking up their side of the option is a no brainer.  They need minimum 3 SP and he's a net cost of $8M.  No way you find a better arm for $8M.

From Clevinger's perspective, he locks in $8M in extra dollars for 2024 and gets another year of the passage of time away from his DV allegations.  That at least has to be part of the calculus here, there are definitely teams that won't touch him with a 10 foot pole, we just don't know how many. The fact that he went unclaimed on waivers is at least some indication teams don't want his baggage, though obviously the price tag was significant with the buyout.

If I had to guess, Clevinger is pitching for the Sox next season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Dodgers gave up their #8 prospect.

you're right, Gio's payout for September will be $2 million. He got all the way to Cleveland, a team who is not currently in the playoffs, and who typically doesn't exactly spend money. In August, Lucas Giolito gave up more runs than Mike Clevinger gave up hits, and that's a gamble worth $2 million to Cleveland. But teams are crying poor about $5 million? Malarkey.

$5 million for a month is going to bust every budget in September Some teams will make exceptions and break the budget, but not for a guy with Clevingers recent injury history, and just missing a month and a half. Explain the Rangers trade for Chapman? Explain was Uriah was on the Dodgers roster after his 2019 problem. Explain Marcel Ozuna in the Braves line up? He punched his wife right in front of a cop.Explain Roberto Osuna being acquired by the Astros. Explain Domingo Germans continued employment with the Yankees. And those are guys that actually got suspended.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

This x1000.  Dude was owed like $5.5M for 8 starts.  Its no surprise he went unclaimed.  If he was just due $1.5M without the buyout, he wouldn't have made it very far, even with the DV stuff.  

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This x1000.  Dude was owed like $5.5M for 8 starts.  Its no surprise he went unclaimed.  If he was just due $1.5M without the buyout, he wouldn't have made it very far, even with the DV stuff.  

Dude, you personally said Clevinger was more likely than not to be traded at the deadline.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Dude, you personally said Clevinger was more likely than not to be traded at the deadline.

Underestimated the opportunity cost impact on upsetting clubhouse chemistry...apparently it sticks more with some players than others.

For example, not even the White Sox would dare bring in Trevor Bauer next year.

And that's basically if he was "free" contract-wise.

You also can't just dismiss the per game price tag for Clevinger when someone like Civale on the Rays is pitching to a sub 3 ERA still.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Underestimated the opportunity cost impact on upsetting clubhouse chemistry...apparently it sticks more with some players than others.

For example, not even the White Sox would dare bring in Trevor Bauer next year.

And that's basically if he was "free" contract-wise.

You also can't just dismiss the per game price tag for Clevinger when someone like Civale on the Rays is pitching to a sub 3 ERA still.

Bauer was suspended by MLB for 194 games. How are they comparable? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Clevinger was cleared by the league of all wrong-doing and hasn't had any issues while a White Sox, correct? 

No. He was not "Cleared", he was not suspended - that means that whatever "investigation" they did, it didn't meet whatever standard they are using to require a suspension. It is worth noting that MLB's investigation process certainly appeared questionable, as the CBA requires it to be done quickly (literally it requires decisions within days) and yet MLB was still interviewing the accuser in February of last year, which on its own raises issues since memory of events definitely is harder the longer you wait. The decision on a suspension I think is suggested by a panel including 3 independent experts, 2 MLB representatives, and 2 players union representatives, we do not know if there was a vote or anything like that. 

At the very least this year during the season, we had Clevinger coming out to the song "Gold-Digger", we had Colas seemingly stalking the accuser's instagram page for whatever reason, and we had the accuser suggesting that Clevinger was still calling and leaving her numerous messages. Thankfully this isn't the level of the stuff he was accused of last year, but none of it was good behavior and more than once we saw the team/organization dragged into his personal issues. No intelligent GM is going to look at this and be willing to stick their neck out for a guy behaving like this.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No. He was not "Cleared", he was not suspended - that means that whatever "investigation" they did, it didn't meet whatever standard they are using to require a suspension. It is worth noting that MLB's investigation process certainly appeared questionable, as the CBA requires it to be done quickly (literally it requires decisions within days) and yet MLB was still interviewing the accuser in February of last year, which on its own raises issues since memory of events definitely is harder the longer you wait. The decision on a suspension I think is suggested by a panel including 3 independent experts, 2 MLB representatives, and 2 players union representatives, we do not know if there was a vote or anything like that. 

At the very least this year during the season, we had Clevinger coming out to the song "Gold-Digger", we had Colas seemingly stalking the accuser's instagram page for whatever reason, and we had the accuser suggesting that Clevinger was still calling and leaving her numerous messages. Thankfully this isn't the level of the stuff he was accused of last year, but none of it was good behavior and more than once we saw the team/organization dragged into his personal issues. No intelligent GM is going to look at this and be willing to stick their neck out for a guy behaving like this.

So, there was due process, he was cleared by MLB, and you're upset about his intro song, something his teammate may have done on social media, and further claims by the person he was cleared of abusing? That's really bizarre. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

So, there was due process, he was cleared by MLB, and you're upset about his intro song, something his teammate may have done on social media, and further claims by the person he was cleared of abusing? That's really bizarre. 

Yes, each of those things was inappropriate and two of them directly brought the franchise into the matter. 

• Thanks 1