2024 Offseason Plan - "Try" to Compete Edition

ChiSox59

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I feel like at this point Grifol is just a sacrificial lamb. It is obvious we aren't competing this year, so why fire a guy and have to pay him to bring someone else in so this team can still lose 100 games because of the roster construction? 

For starters, he’s horrible with rookies, which we need to see a lot of this year 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I feel like at this point Grifol is just a sacrificial lamb. It is obvious we aren't competing this year, so why fire a guy and have to pay him to bring someone else in so this team can still lose 100 games because of the roster construction? 

When the Sox get off to a disaster start he'll be fired by Memorial Day.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Can’t wait to see a team that is last in homers next year.  Sounds like they’re going to focus way too much on base running and defense.

I like the focus on speed and defense.  Those skills show up every day and are cheaper to acquire.  We obviously have huge pitching needs, so I don't see the money to pay for those extra homers.

30 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I like the focus on speed and defense.  Those skills show up every day and are cheaper to acquire.  We obviously have huge pitching needs, so I don't see the money to pay for those extra homers.

Except we have one of the worst fields for playing that style….Old Comiskey, sure.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except we have one of the worst fields for playing that style….Old Comiskey, sure.

Hell, if they were good defensively, at least it would be an upgrade on something. Considering that they were the worst defensive team in the sport last year.

48 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I'll be honest, if they're going to have bring in a decent amount of free agents, please prioritize defense/athleticism and pitching. At least play sound fundamental baseball and pitch well. Playing good defense and having good pitching with little hitting is at least better than being poor in every aspect of the game.

Go sign DeJong, Adam Frazier, Kiermaier in a platoon in RF, Austin Hedges and 3 mid-rotation type arms. Sign like 3 relievers to one year deals.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'll be honest, if they're going to have bring in a decent amount of free agents, please prioritize defense/athleticism and pitching. At least play sound fundamental baseball and pitch well. Playing good defense and having good pitching with little hitting is at least better than being poor in every aspect of the game.

Go sign DeJong, Adam Frazier, Kiermaier in a platoon in RF, Austin Hedges and 3 mid-rotation type arms. Sign like 3 relievers to one year deals.

I mean, Frazier graded out as a terrible defender last year, but sure why not. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, Frazier graded out as a terrible defender last year, but sure why not. 

Alright someone else then. DeJong at 2B, Crawford at SS. 

(I’ll admit, Frazier was just added there as cheap, left-handed stop gap coming off a 1.7 WAR season, better than Whit).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

17 hours ago, poppysox said:

Vaughn and Eloy lack speed if you want a team built on speed and do not enough hit enough home runs if you want a power based line-up. Maybe keep them for another year since they are both mid-twenties and should be at the peak of their respective careers. 

Mistakes were made.  A few of us wanted the Sox to sign Cody Bellinger on a short term deal. Instead the self ordained multi-championship GM signed little Benny on a 5 year deal. Benny is a good player but did not hit enough HR for a corner outfielder IMO.  Same for Moncada at 3rd base, but he is also under contract and is too injury prone to rely on. Trading Burger for Eder was unnecessary.  That unnecessary trade undoubtedly pissed off Sox ownership and may have been the final straw for Hahn and KW.

I remain hopeful that things will improve for the Sox in 2024 on all fronts. Fresh faces and a new commitment to winning as underdogs will at minimum be interesting to watch.  Just a couple of pitchers that can stop the bleeding in late innings will work wonders to save games where we got beat in late innings or were walked off this year. Two set-up guys and a Closer minimally, and I am not talking about Bummer.  He was actually part of the problem walking the lead-off man in the 7th inning as Stone marveled at how unhittable his sweeper was.

Edited by tray

I have always wondered if Kopech would accept the Closer role. Yes on paper that makes no sense because the Sox need him for the rotation and that is where he wants to be, but  thinking outside the box, I wonder if he is durable enough to last a full year as a starter and feel that he could have a more productive, longer lasting career as closer.

14 minutes ago, tray said:

Vaughn and Eloy lack speed if you want a team built on speed and do not enough hit enough home runs if you want a power based line-up. Maybe keep them for another year since they are both mid-twenties and should be at the peak of their respective careers. 

Mistakes were made.  A few of us wanted the Sox to sign Cody Bellinger on a short term deal. Instead the self ordained multi-championship GM signed little Benny on a 5 year deal. Benny is a good player but did not hit enough HR for a corner outfielder IMO.  Same for Moncada at 3rd base, but he is also under contract and is too injury prone to rely on. Trading Burger for Eder was unnecessary.  That unnecessary trade undoubtedly pissed off Sox ownership and may have been the final straw for Hahn and KW.

I remain hopeful that things will improve for the Sox in 2024 on all fronts. Fresh faces and a new commitment to winning as underdogs will at minimum be interesting to watch.  Just a couple of pitchers that can stop the bleeding in late innings will work wonders to save games where we got beat in late innings or were walked off this year. Two set-up guys and a Closer minimally, and I am not talking about Bummer.  He was actually part of the problem walking the lead-off man in the 7th inning as Stone marveled at how unhittable his sweeper was.

Speed and defense are fine but you might give home-field to most of the visitors.

They have legitimate holes in at least 3 starting pitching spots, probably 2-3 reliable relievers are needed and then we're needing a catcher, 2B, SS and RF - that's not even addressing adding actual impact players as much as just filling holes.

Can they bargain shop on a few of these positions? That's probably what we're looking at if they don't want to compete in the market for top talent.

It's hard though to see them not moving Cease for 2-3 top minor league players who they think can contribute within the next year or so and help keep their payroll down.

I really don't see Jiminez being back either. He's a good hitter, but if he can't play a position and they are stressing defense....the only thing that can save him is his contract being more team friendly. Saying that, too many injuries.

I like the concept of having players play more than one position to win games. Moncada is an excellent 3B, but if they were to sign someone who can play 3B/SS, let's consider what helps the team win day to day.

39 minutes ago, tray said:

Well to be honest how much worse can they get? 

40 minutes ago, tray said:

I have always wondered if Kopech would accept the Closer role. Yes on paper that makes no sense because the Sox need him for the rotation and that is where he wants to be, but  thinking outside the box, I wonder if he is durable enough to last a full year as a starter and feel that he could have a more productive, longer lasting career as closer.

Right now Kopech isn’t any good as a starter or a closer.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is there a way to read this for non subscribers?

If you have an iPhone, click AA in the upper left hand corner and click show reader.

These restrictions disappeared briefly, but have returned. This is what in was referring to a few months ago @Balta1701or @Quin

I realize you don’t have to pay to register, perhaps give them an email and or log in, but most folks don’t want to deal with that to read a one off article.

• Like 1