GM Meetings Thread: MLB Rumors and Elaborate Boras Metaphors

bmags

31 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm assuming this?

Of course I can't find the article, but I remember at one point the Astros were heavily connected to him when he still had the "Cuban Ohtani" label.

If only we had a player development staff.

Did they instead sign more than one player and not take the rest of the year off?

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

Did they instead sign more than one player and not take the rest of the year off?

Probably, it was like, a year before the Sox signed Cespedes.

Then he got tied to the Sox and the Sox were like "just take BP at our Dominican academy for a long time"

24 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

When is the last time the Sox had a 2 WAR season from RF? haha

It has been a regular threshold, just not lately.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?lg=all&qual=y&ind=1&season1=1901&season=2023&team=4&type=8&month=null&pos=rf&sortcol=0&sortdir=default&pagenum=4&pageitems=30

• Avisail Garcia 2017
  • Adam Eaton 2016
  • Alex Rios 2012
  • Jermaine Dye 2005 - 2006
  • Magglio Ordonez 1998 - 2003
  • Dave Martinez 1997
  • Darrin Jackson 1994
  • Ellis Burks 1993
  • Ivan Calderon 1987
  • Harold Baines 1982 - 1986
  • Richie Zisk 1977
  • Bill Melton 1970
  • Floyd Robertson 1962 - 1965
  • Al Smith 1959 - 1961
  • Jim Rivera 1954 - 1955
  • Sam Mele 1953
  • Minnie Minoso 1951
  • Wally Moses 1942 - 1945
  • Taffy Wright 1940 - 1941
  • Dixie Walker 1937
  • Evar Swanson 1933
  • Red Kress 1932
  • Smead Jolley 1930
  • Carl Reynolds 1929 - 1930
  • Alex Metzler 1928
  • Harry Hooper 1921, 1922, 1924
  • Nemo Leibold 1919
  • Shano Collins 1912, 1914, 1916
  • Ping Bodie 1912
  • Matty McIntyre 1911
  • Ed Hahn 1907 - 1908
  • Danny Green 1902 - 1904
  • Fielder Jones 1901

Our new GM made the following statement to start off the winter meetings.....“I don’t like our team,” adding that it’s “not a well-rounded club” 

That's a great way to attract a potential trade partner. Hey let me trade for your great defensive shortstop, right fielder, 2b, catcher or starting pitcher for one of my underachieving, clueless, error prone players.

I have to hand it to Getz for being honest, but not when you're trying rid your team of that type of player you don't advertise their deficiencies. 

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Lourdes Gurriel Jr makes 0 sense because he has been exclusively at 1B/LF his entire career.  

Duvall could make sense because he can play all 3 OF positions

Gallo could play RF and hit 7/8 in the lineup. Sure

He played 2B 5-6 years ago, and our organization DOES like to go get guys 5-6 years after they SHOULD have tried .....

37 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

you don't advertise their deficiencies

He didn't do that. To say a club's "too right-handed", or doesn't have enough power, you're not talking down your trade chips. And it's not like you're going to call Gavin Sheets a potential MVP, and 29 dum-dums will line up to trade their top two prospects for him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He didn't do that. To say a club's "too right-handed", or doesn't have enough power, you're not talking down your trade chips. And it's not like you're going to call Gavin Sheets a potential MVP, and 29 dum-dums will line up to trade their top two prospects for him. 

We've seen how well the strategy of "loudly declaring that we intend to compete" has worked for the White Sox over the last decade. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

To say your team needs to "clean up it's defense" is not a compliment, especially when they don't show any true power other than Robert to overcome their defensive deficiencies.  If Eloy hit 40-HRs that would go along way to cover up his lack of speed and defense when he's allowed to play the outfield.  He hit 18 HR in 456 AB's, not exactly my idea of a power hitter.  Benintendii and whomever they put in RF is no better.  We have 1 true outfielder that can hit for power and play defense. One 3B baseman who can play defense but if I believe all the stories is still experiencing long COVID, or maybe that's just all the energy he brings but it seems as if he could care less. There's not much else on this team to like, maybe Vaughn but he runs with a piano on his back and the Sox screwed him up by playing him and Sheets out of position.  Cease is great, and then he's so-so but he's about the only one who can attract a trade partner.  We have no other players worth mentioning or anyone else would want.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/getz-aims-to-strengthen-white-sox-defense-need-to-become-more-athletic/

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

To say your team needs to "clean up it's defense" is not a compliment,

I'm guessing that other GM's don't spend their time listening to 29 other sports radio shows to see if another GM tips his hand by giving an honest assessment of how their team is put together. If one of us can sit down and break down the Sox' outfield, any other GM has 20 times the information we have, and a team to evaluate the player they have interest in. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I'm guessing that other GM's don't spend their time listening to 29 other sports radio shows to see if another GM tips his hand by giving an honest assessment of how their team is put together. If one of us can sit down and break down the Sox' outfield, any other GM has 20 times the information we have, and a team to evaluate the player they have interest in. 

SoxTalk Scouting Dept<=>Handful of Sox actual scouts

• Like 1