A.J. rips Getz/Grifol...

Lip Man 1

Let us know when AJ has the episode about incidents this past season that he alluded to. Sox are a complete mess. Our favorite team has never had a worse outlook. Even Veeck who had no cash brought in a few stars that could carry a team to respectability like Zisk, Gamble, Soderholm, Spencer et all in 77 and a few others that failed like Bonds, Kessinger, Santo and Washington, etc. This team is void of the kind of talent it takes to win games and apparently has a bunch of losers in the clubhouse. Good luck Getz in fixing this mess of a team.

I hesitate to say we need Salvy and some other clubhouse guys cause Abreu was a consummate pro and he couldn't fix it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Let us know when AJ has the episode about incidents this past season that he alluded to. Sox are a complete mess. Our favorite team has never had a worse outlook. Even Veeck who had no cash brought in a few stars that could carry a team to respectability like Zisk, Gamble, Soderholm, Spencer et all in 77 and a few others that failed like Bonds, Kessinger, Santo and Washington, etc. This team is void of the kind of talent it takes to win games and apparently has a bunch of losers in the clubhouse. Good luck Getz in fixing this mess of a team.

I hesitate to say we need Salvy and some other clubhouse guys cause Abreu was a consummate pro and he couldn't fix it.

If ever there was a complete housecleaning job needed, this is it. You could see it on the players faces last season, they hated being a member of the White Sox while probably hating each other and the GM hates them too. I’d love to really know exactly how things deteriorated to this level. I would bet that every player is praying that they get traded and I’m joining in on the prayers, I can’t think of one guy that it would bother me if he was traded. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'd be happy if this team resembled the 1977 team. That was a good year to watch the Sox!  I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel to watch this team. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

All Good points and makes sense but I’m going to add that maybe these clowns weren’t wild about the firing of Renteria and being replaced by a guy who was past his prime and was just about brain dead in LaRussa. Not that it matters but I was incensed when JR hired TLR, JR has made tons of bad decisions in his 42 years as owner but the hiring LaRuusa is right up there as maybe the worst.

Nothing is worse than his being the main driver in cancelling the 1994 season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Nothing is worse than his being the main driver in cancelling the 1994 season.

Yep, that was bad especially as we probably would have won the division for 2 years in a row. It’s amazing that there are any White Sox fans left at all as JR has crapped all over us for 42 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

I'd be happy if this team resembled the 1977 team. That was a good year to watch the Sox!  I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel to watch this team. 

Veeck understood baseball, they had a solid GM in Roland Hemond. They made solid trades and created a great team. Gossage was the one piece of the future they sacrificed, but they assessed they likely couldn’t afford to resign him after he became a free agent post 1977.

In 2016, Hahn is clueless, but at least had multiple valuable pieces to trade.

Today, Jerry has Tony and Getz running the show, and only have Cease to trade (trading Robert is asinine) and a couple good prospects in a sport you have 26 players.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I can’t think of one guy that it would bother me if he was traded. 

Same with me. First time in a long time I have had absolutely no favorite player on the Sox roster. I used to stand up for some guys on the board who I liked who got ripped a lot. Now I don't like any of 'em particularly. No pitchers for sure are on my like list. I was starting to like Burger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Same with me. First time in a long time I have had absolutely no favorite player on the Sox roster. I used to stand up for some guys on the board who I liked who got ripped a lot. Now I don't like any of 'em particularly. No pitchers for sure are on my like list. I was starting to like Burger.

Why not Luis Robert Jr.?

Not to jinx it but the current roster is the first time since the end of the 2020 playoffs I don't have a personal dislike toward anyone in the clubhouse (players/coaches).

Favorite White Sox:

• 2024 Luis Robert Jr. (unless some unexpected acquisition or trade occurs, or Billy Hamilton returns :D )
  • 2023 Billy Hamilton
  • 2014-2022 Jose Abreu
  • 2013 Alex Rios
  • 2009-2012 A. J. Pierzynski
  • 2005-2008  Joe Crede
  • 1998-2004 Magglio Ordonez
  • 1996-1997 Harold Baines
  • 1991-1995 Tim Raines
  • 1990 Bobby Thigpen
  • 1982-1989 Harold Baines
  • 1976-1981 Chet Lemon
  • 1975 Wilbur Wood

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Why not Luis Robert Jr.?

Not to jinx it but the current roster is the first time since the end of the 2020 playoffs I don't have a personal dislike toward anyone in the clubhouse (players/coaches).

Favorite White Sox:

• 2024 Luis Robert Jr. (unless some unexpected acquisition or trade occurs, or Billy Hamilton returns :D )
  • 2023 Billy Hamilton
  • 2014-2022 Jose Abreu
  • 2013 Alex Rios
  • 2009-2012 A. J. Pierzynski
  • 2005-2008  Joe Crede
  • 1998-2004 Magglio Ordonez
  • 1996-1997 Harold Baines
  • 1991-1995 Tim Raines
  • 1990 Bobby Thigpen
  • 1982-1989 Harold Baines
  • 1976-1981 Chet Lemon
  • 1975 Wilbur Wood

Very good question. My bad but it's probably cause i didn't watch any games after all star break and didn't fall in love with Robert despite all the homers. Plus isn't Robert an all or nothing guy too? HR or strikeout. I'm probably gonna be done with baseball soon cause there are too many things about the modern game I hate. Sad. I also loved Wilbur Wood. i was at the DH where he started both games. I think he mita got a no decision in both or lost one of em and no decision the other. Didn't wilbur get bunted out of baseball? after knee problems teams bunted it to the left and right of him and he couldn't make the plays anymore.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Very good question. My bad but it's probably cause i didn't watch any games after all star break and didn't fall in love with Robert despite all the homers. Plus isn't Robert an all or nothing guy too? HR or strikeout. I'm probably gonna be done with baseball soon cause there are too many things about the modern game I hate. Sad. I also loved Wilbur Wood. i was at the DH where he started both games. I think he mita got a no decision in both or lost one of em and no decision the other. Didn't wilbur get bunted out of baseball? after knee problems teams bunted it to the left and right of him and he couldn't make the plays anymore.

Robert had 36 doubles to go with his 38 homers, plus 20 steals. I'd hardly call him "all or nothing," though I'd prefer if he improved his 5% walk rate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoeC said:

Robert had 36 doubles to go with his 38 homers, plus 20 steals. I'd hardly call him "all or nothing," though I'd prefer if he improved his 5% walk rate.

I'm sure if I watch games again I'll have him as a favorite. Doubles are good. Walk rate must improve obviously as u pointed out. Sox need to get rid of TA if he's one of the main 'problems' in the clubhouse. He's not that good to be a problem if indeed he is one. Ditto Moncada. Ditto Eloy. I wonder if Vaughn is a good clubhouse guy. I'd keep Vaughn and Robert and maybe Eloy and let the other position players take a hike. Maybe keep Elvis solely as a utility guy.

Edited by greg775

On 11/12/2023 at 3:29 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

Yep, that was bad especially as we probably would have won the division for 2 years in a row. It’s amazing that there are any White Sox fans left at all as JR has crapped all over us for 42 years.

It's been a pattern he likes to take away the joy oof being a fan.

• Thanks 1

This is one of those weird situations where I'm 100% on board and ready for them to rip the Sox...but then they choose something dumb.  I mean, Getz acknowledging that he doesn't like the team was the one encouraging thing I've seen this offseason.  It gave me hope he might make dramatic changes instead of just resting on the "we have a talented group" nonsense.  I guess Grifol could've been a little more tactful about agreeing with that accurate assessment, but this is like number 650 on the list of things to spend a whole podcast ripping the Sox about.

• Thanks 2

Jim ODonnell raises the possibility of the White Sox being sold to a group headed by Theo. The word is the group is going to buy something soon. Maybe the Nats. Maybe the Padres. He theorized the Getz hiring and keeping Pedro could have been made to keep things clean for a new group to clean house. I read that and it raised my eyebrows, but they came crashing back into place when I realized if JR was getting the team ready to sell, wouldn’t he have just kept RH and KW? 

JR doesn’t own a majority share of the team. If he was so scared of estate taxes, couldn’t he keep his shares, sell the majority of the team and give up his control, thus just making him an investor?

Edited by Dick Allen

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Jim ODonnell raises the possibility of the White Sox being sold to a group headed by Theo. The word is the group is going to buy something soon. Maybe the Nats. Maybe the Padres. He theorized the Getz hiring and keeping Pedro could have been made to keep things clean for a new group to clean house. I read that and it raised my eyebrows, but they came crashing back into place when I realized if JR was getting the team ready to sell, wouldn’t he have just kept RH and KW? 

JR doesn’t own a majority share of the team. If he was so scared of estate taxes, couldn’t he keep his shares, sell the majority of the team and give up his control, thus just making him an investor?

Wouldn't keeping powerless fugureheads in Getz and Grifol in place be the strangely counterintuitive way of essentially asserting we're running an open house and have no clue how to go about fixing things ourselves?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wouldn't keeping powerless fugureheads in Getz and Grifol in place be the strangely counterintuitive way of essentially asserting we're running an open house and have no clue how to go about fixing things ourselves?

Of course, but I think the point he was making it they didn’t make splash hires and if the team was sold they would have no issue telling them to take a hike.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can’t imagine it was the Padres he was talking about

Going to have to do a fire sale...they might be much better off dumping Bogaerts OR Machado along with a Soto trade asap.   All depends on what LAD SFG and AZ end up doing.

But they don't have enough pitching/bullpen to compete. 

Also wouldn't be shocked to see Quantrill go back there.

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

This is one of those weird situations where I'm 100% on board and ready for them to rip the Sox...but then they choose something dumb.  I mean, Getz acknowledging that he doesn't like the team was the one encouraging thing I've seen this offseason.  It gave me hope he might make dramatic changes instead of just resting on the "we have a talented group" nonsense.  I guess Grifol could've been a little more tactful about agreeing with that accurate assessment, but this is like number 650 on the list of things to spend a whole podcast ripping the Sox about.

Yeah, I can't tell if AJ was overreacting for the sake of content or if he really can't grasp that saying "We have talent" and "We currently don't have a well rounded team" are not contradictory statements.

• Like 1