Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure if you want a bunch of lottery tickets, so be it…but considering you guys feel you should get multiple top 100 guys and at least one in the top 50, the deal the Yanks could offer isn’t close to what you are hoping for.

Yeah, just kind of musing on the state of various farm systems. You brought up a quantity trade and that’s where the Yankees could do business, especially with pitching — see the Soto trade. I for sure would prefer a quality trade. Those are harder to come by as no one is trading you Holliday, Chourio, Caminero, Wyatt Langford etc.

7 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah, just kind of musing on the state of various farm systems. You brought up a quantity trade and that’s where the Yankees could do business, especially with pitching — see the Soto trade. I for sure would prefer a quality trade. Those are harder to come by as no one is trading you Holliday, Chourio, Caminero, Wyatt Langford etc.

No doubt..if a quantity trade is the way Getz goes, NY is definitely in the mix.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Don’t mind holding out for Cease, have to maximize the return as much as possible, if the guys like Kjerstad aren’t on the table don’t move him, as much as other fanbases may not agree, Cease is a top of the rotation arm and should net the proper return. Not saying he’s Sale but he’s gonna be a Cy young candidate next season 

No, Cease is a potential TOR arm.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Almost no Orioles fan I know thinks we are guaranteed a playoff spot next year — with or without Cease.   The O’s haven’t been to the playoffs in consecutive years since 1996-97.   

We don’t “sweat” the Yankees only because we can’t control what they do any more than we can control the weather.  They buy whatever they’re in the mood to buy, year in and year out, and O’s fans just have to live with that reality.   

That comment wasn’t directed at Orioles fans, but the broader baseball community.  Given the lack of AL teams that are actually competing and the fact the Orioles are coming off 101 wins, I think there is a general belief the Orioles are all but promised a playoff spot next year (I have even seen Sox fans here say this).  I just don’t think that’s the case if the Yankees return to form and in 2022 they had the second highest run differential in baseball.

5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

You keep saying this and then claim Baltimore has 2 for sure TOR arms.  It’s hilarious.

Exactly this, I guess both our and the O’s fanbase overvalue our pitchers, if it were up to me I’m taking Dylan Cease over Kyle Bradish and GRod 9 times out of 10, im sure SportsGuy and others over there will feel differently  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I have been saying that the whole time..you guys have this obsession with top 100 guys and you are wrong for having it.

I have this discussion on my board a lot too.

And btw, we know that some of those guys are available as much as we know Cease is available.

To be fair, I proposed a deal with only 1 top 100 guy (the Orioles #3 prospect at that) and you said that was too much.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Hangout loves themselves some Povich.  I figured he must of had Randy Johnson like stuff before I read Tony’s scouting report on him based on the way many of the posters over there were clutching on him (not you or Frobby).

The reason we’re reluctant to trade Povich is the simple fact that we don’t have a ton of high upside pitching prospects in the high minors.  We have a lot of bats, especially infielders.  Honestly I’d rather do Kjerstad/Cowser, Ortiz and Norby than use either Povich or Beavers as the third piece, even though Norby is ranked higher than Povich in most places and higher than Beavers in some, simply because we have less need for Norby.   

As to Povich, I see him as a guy who has a 25% chance of being a no. 3 or better starter, a 25% chance of being a back of rotation guy, and a 50% chance of being a AAAA pitcher.   When he’s on his game, he’s brilliant.  But he hasn’t found consistency and I don’t know that he will.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

You keep saying this and then claim Baltimore has 2 for sure TOR arms.  It’s hilarious.

The Os have 1 guy rhat was a TOR arm last year and also really the second half of 2022.

The have another guy who was one of the best pitchers in baseball for the second half of the season.

Cease has been a TOR arm once in his career and has been a borderline 2/3 starter the rest of it.

There are no sure things but the Os guys have been more recently and their trajectories are pointing up.  You can’t say that about Cease.

2022 exists which is why teams want him.  Take away 2022 and he isn’t close to fetching some of the names being discussed.

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Montas, Ryu, Lorenzen…Baltimore realistically can’t afford Imanata.

If they’re 100% sure about Bradish and Rodriguez, then no move is necessary.

Just like there was a time Michael Kopech had that type of buzz surrounding him.

The Os also have a luxury of knowing how to develop guys and they have a park that makes it easier to pitch in.

17 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I don’t think Sports Guy has said “for sure.”   Neither one has enough of a track record to say that.  But, they both have attributes you often see in a TOR arm.  I feel very good about those two.

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t think Sports Guy has said “for sure.”   Neither one has enough of a track record to say that.  But, they both have attributes you often see in a TOR arm.  I feel very good about those two.

He called them 2 frontline starters and 2 TOR guys the other day. I remember because I asked who the second was.  

He’s not saying “they have nice attributes” he’s penciling them in for Cy Young consideration! 

25 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

He called them 2 frontline starters and 2 TOR guys the other day. I remember because I asked who the second was.  

He’s not saying “they have nice attributes” he’s penciling them in for Cy Young consideration! 

Just because you interpret things poorly doesn’t mean that’s what I’m saying.

9 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Yes, but this thread is preferable to all the other threads about crappy AAAA and over-the-hill types the Sox are dumpster diving for. At least thinking about trades provides a glimmer of false hope.

Very true but I'm afraid Getz is going to end up letting Cease pitch for the Sox. Still a long way from that happening but the definition of getting a haul has shrunk . Other GMs are going to test Getz's resolve as long as they can on that high ask.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic