Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re kidding me right? You can disagree with dumb column ideas and still recognize that he’s extremely well sourced with information. It’s really two different jobs. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Some info in Rosenthal’s latest about Sox and Orioles trade talks 

Also this nugget about the Dodgers and Cease

Before trading infielder Michael Busch to the Chicago Cubs, the Dodgers included him in some of their offers to the White Sox for Cease, according to sources briefed on the discussions.

The Dodgers’ interest in Cease was stronger before they signed Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto. They continued talking to the White Sox afterward, but their trade with the Cubs indicated they were looking for future value. They discussed flipping Cease to another club — the Orioles were one possibility — and acquiring prospects that way.

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

an update from Bob

I really want to know what these clubs have been offering.  The Orioles can’t be taken serious if their top five prospects are off limits.  The Yankees also can’t be taken serious if Spencer Jones & Chase Hampton are off limits.  

We at least have confirmation now that the Dodgers offered up Busch in their package.  And while Busch is a fairly divisive prospect, the reality is he still had legitimate based on the Cubs return.

It does feel like the Sox & Orioles are in a game of chicken.  I hate going full circle here, but it does seem like the compromise is a Kjerstad/Ortiz/Povich package.  Orioles give up one of their true high-end outfield prospects, while the Sox settle on the lower ceiling, but major league ready Ortiz.  Povich is the final piece, with the Sox that getting an arm that isn’t too far off but still has a lot of question marks.  My guess is this is a package that 50% of Sox fans hate and 50% of Orioles fans hate, which tells me it’s a fair compromise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really want to know what these clubs have been offering.  The Orioles can’t be taken serious if their top five prospects are off limits.  The Yankees also can’t be taken serious if Spencer Jones & Chase Hampton are off limits.  

We at least have confirmation now that the Dodgers offered up Busch in their package.  And while Busch is a fairly divisive prospect, the reality is he still had legitimate based on the Cubs return.

It does feel like the Sox & Orioles are in a game of chicken.  I hate going full circle here, but it does seem like the compromise is a Kjerstad/Ortiz/Povich package.  Orioles give up one of their true high-end outfield prospects, while the Sox settle on the lower ceiling, but major league ready Ortiz.  Povich is the final piece, with the Sox that getting an arm that isn’t too far off but still has a lot of question marks.  My guess is this is a package that 50% of Sox fans hate and 50% of Orioles fans hate, which tells me it’s a fair compromise.

So here’s my thought on this: I’d prefer Westburg as the headliner if I could also get Beavers and McDermott in the deal. I just don’t really have any interest in Joey Ortiz.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I haven't posted a lot in this thread. But I said in the beginning of the off-season that if you trade Cease now, you're selling low on him. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that the alleged offers are mediocre.

If I'm the Sox, I roll the dice and let him start the season with us. Yes you're risking another off year further lowering his value - as you are also risking catastrophic failure if he gets injured. But if he has a dominant month or two to start the season, his trade value returns to 2022 levels. You dont have to wait until the trade deadline to move him if he starts out hot.

That's what I would bet on. Given the sorry state of the White Sox franchise as we stand right now, what really do we have to lose by waiting and taking that risk?

52 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think those asks are unrealistic. I’m guessing that the issue is the rest of the package. 

Agreed.  You want a young, cheap, team-controlled TOR starting pitcher with ace potential to step in THIS YEAR?  That’s a big ask—who wouldn’t want that??  Converting some prospects that are stuck behind layers of MLB depth—who have about a 10% chance of becoming as good of an MLB contributor as Cease—is a no brainer.  Deal should have been done in November.  

If the Sox were knocking on the door of a serious contending window—watched a division-rival team land another superstar player and SP depth this offseason, had a young player with major star potential at both left side infield positions and more infield strength in the system, were sitting on a starting pitching staff of 2 quality options and some big question marks a month away from pitchers and catchers reporting…who here wouldn’t be willing to keep Colson Montgomery and move a package led by a guy like Jacob Gonzalez to land a Spencer Strider/Zac Gallen for the next 2 years?

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So here’s my thought on this: I’d prefer Westburg as the headliner if I could also get Beavers and McDermott in the deal. I just don’t really have any interest in Joey Ortiz.  

I really like Beavers and would love him as a part of a Cease package, I just view Kjerstad as a far superior prospect to Westburg.  And to me, it’s critical that we get one prospect with true impact talent.  To me, that’s Kjerstad over Westburg and even Cowser for that matter.

If we want to avoid Ortiz (and I totally get the concerns theft), I’d rather go for someone like Horvath and then beef up the back end of the package a bit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Orioles fans I’ve talked to agree. That’s why I think the headliner isn’t the issue here. 

The bulk of the Hangout would do one of plus Ortiz or lower.  If I had to guess, Getz is asking for one of them plus Westburg or has Mayo in the ask somehow.

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really like Beavers and would love him as a part of a Cease package, I just view Kjerstad as a far superior prospect to Westburg.  And to me, it’s critical that we get one prospect with true impact talent.  To me, that’s Kjerstad over Westburg and even Cowser for that matter.

If we want to avoid Ortiz (and I totally get the concerns theft), I’d rather go for someone like Horvath and then beef up the back end of the package a bit.

Same, if Mayo is truly not on the table, give me Kjerstad who I think his bat is going to be elite. Maybe Getz is pushing for Kjerstad AND Westburg? 

• Like 1

Hello, Orioles fan here.  It does seem like a blinking contest with the gm’s.  Cease had a 4.58 era in 23 so the value is significantly less than one year ago.  If you go back and look at similar trades in recent history, you will be surprised by the return.  By the way, Yankees Jones is way over rated - Beavers is a much better prospect.  Same age but Jones only played in A ball to boost his numbers.    A package of # 51 prospect- Ortiz-ss , #95 prospect (Beavers-of or Norby 2nd/lf and two pitching prospects should be a good value point.    

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I get it. I’d be fine with Kjerstad but he’s likely moving to 1B as well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The bulk of the Hangout would do one of plus Ortiz or lower.  If I had to guess, Getz is asking for one of them plus Westburg or has Mayo in the ask somehow.

Agreed. The Orioles fans here seems fine with a kjerstad/cowser + Ortiz package. They just hated including povich/beavers as a 3rd piece

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic