Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

15 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not really, we're roughly 2 weeks away from ST starting up. I really don't like how we may end up banking on Cease building up his value when the chances of his value remaining the same or decreasing are more likely to occur.

He can easily be moved in ST. Pitchers reporting doesn’t really mean much of anything in terms of a deadline to move him. 

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The Rangers making this move right now would also be rather bizarre. While they could use starting pitching right now, it is reasonable to expect that one or both of DeGrom and Scherzer could be available in the second half. 

They still have to get through the first half, but paying a big prospect price when they have a decent likelihood of starting help in the second half and for the playoffs doesn't seem like a very smart strategy. Similarly, they're going to have to at least try DeGrom in 2025 with the money he's making.

This is the kind of place that should sign a Clevinger or something like that.

The fact that Clevinger hasn’t signed anywhere makes me think his rep is truly bad around baseball, and not just for the abuse allegations.  He was pretty good last year.

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

His fastball velocities in ST would definitely be a THING.

Which you have to worry about him ramping it up too quickly and getting hurt trying to impress all the scouts.

More worried about that than the regular season, tbh.

His fastball velocity early in ST would mean nothing, as guys are just ramping themselves up slowly to get their arms back in shape.

Also, Cease’s main concern is staying healthy for free agency in two years.  It doesn’t matter all that much where he pitches for the next two years and he can’t control it anyways.  He’s not going to overextend himself to impress any scouts for a trade that mostly benefits the White Sox, and not him.  He’s not signing an extension with any team so health and quality performance are his two biggest concerns.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

18 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The fact that Clevinger hasn’t signed anywhere makes me think his rep is truly bad around baseball, and not just for the abuse allegations.  He was pretty good last year.

I agree and have been expecting that. However, Texas also traded for Chapman in the middle of last season, so they're clearly willing to tolerate that to some extent. 

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

His fastball velocity early in ST would mean nothing, as guys are just ramping themselves up slowly to get their arms back in shape.

Also, Cease’s main concern is staying healthy for free agency in two years.  It doesn’t matter all that much where he pitches for the next two years and he can’t control it anyways.  He’s not going to overextend himself to impress any scouts for a trade that mostly benefits the White Sox, and not him.  He’s not signing an extension with any team so health and quality performance are his two biggest concerns.

I'd disagree, I think that Cease has plenty of benefit in performing really well going into free agency. Dylan Cease with two excellent seasons the next two years is potentially Gerrit Cole money. Dylan Cease with a couple disappointing seasons might be what, 1/3 of that? 

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd disagree, I think that Cease has plenty of benefit in performing really well going into free agency. Dylan Cease with two excellent seasons the next two years is potentially Gerrit Cole money. Dylan Cease with a couple disappointing seasons might be what, 1/3 of that? 

I agree.  My last sentence was, “He’s not signing an extension with any team so health and quality performance are his two biggest concerns.”

But I don’t think he is going to overexert himself in Spring Training for scouts.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I agree.  My last sentence was, “He’s not signing an extension with any team so health and quality performance are his two biggest concerns.”

But I don’t think he is going to overexert himself in Spring Training for scouts.

I meant more once the regular spring training schedule starts around the 22nd/23rd or whatever.

Especially the televised ones...like against the Dodgers or Cubs.

7 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If we trade with SEA, I want Lazaro Montes in the package. He could be a monster LHS in a couple years. 

Lazaro Montes, OF, Mariners
As Mariners beat writer Daniel Kramer noted last month, the 19-year-old Montes is aware of the Yordan Alvarez comparisons and embraces them. Both are hulking left-handed sluggers with solid approaches and powerful profiles that rely almost solely on their bats. A $2.5 million signing in January 2022, Montes pushed himself further onto the radar by reaching Single-A in his first stateside season and led all Minor Leaguers aged 18 or younger (min. 300 PA) with his .440 OBP, .560 slugging percentage, 1.001 OPS, .257 ISO and 17.9 percent walk rate. Montes is limited to the corner outfield spots and will need to keep driving the ball with authority, but everything is pointed in the right direction in that regard.

Anti-Getz profile.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still think a Woo + Montes + Clase framework makes some sense.  

Let’s not forget Colas was more highly touted a year ago than Montes.

Obviously Yordan Alvarez fits anywhere…but few are ever going to hit that well as the comps fail to hold up and weaknesses eventually get exposed.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Let’s not forget Colas was more highly touted a year ago than Montes.

Obviously Yordan Alvarez fits anywhere…but few are ever going to hit that well as the comps fail to hold up and weaknesses eventually get exposed.

I dont think Colas is finished. His projection was 50 hit/60 power he can still get there, he had a bad year and wasn't ready. He needs to get out of Grifols doghouse, put in the time in AAA to work on the things Getz etc told him to work on and hopefully in a couple months we will see what he can do. 

I still want Montes in a SEA trade regardless of the risk. He destroyed Low A as an 18 year old (994 OPS) 3 years younger than his level. 

Bring me the young left handed savage with extreme power. 

Dude could get to the majors before the end of 2025. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still think a Woo + Montes + Clase framework makes some sense.  

SEA would be giving up 49m for 42m so it's actually pretty fair given the SP premium. 

Clase is Robert's replacement in 25 if they move him next year and Montes could also see the big club sometime in late 25. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That and that the Sox were unable to move him at the deadline last July.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

That and that the Sox were unable to move him at the deadline last July.

I guess I looked at his contract and thought he would be an expensive acquisition for an interested team — half the remaining $8 million of his salary along with his $4 million dollar buyout.  So he would cost around $8 million but the Sox could’ve picked up some of the money if any team was offering anything for Clevinger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I guess I looked at his contract and thought he would be an expensive acquisition for an interested team — half the remaining $8 million of his salary along with his $4 million dollar buyout.  So he would cost around $8 million but the Sox could’ve picked up some of the money if any team was offering anything for Clevinger.

Good point.  I forgot about the option.

But looking at the option (pay him $12m to pitch or $4m not to pitch), the Sox could have him this season for an incremental cost of $8 m.  That's pretty reasonable (the Sox have spent more than that for much worse on paper) and the Sox still wouldn't go for it.  I guess we can't expect other teams to.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Good point.  I forgot about the option.

But looking at the option (pay him $12m to pitch or $4m not to pitch), the Sox could have him this season for an incremental cost of $8 m.  That's pretty reasonable (the Sox have spent more than that for much worse on paper) and the Sox still wouldn't go for it.  I guess we can't expect other teams to.

I think Clevinger's was a mutual option that he also declined.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I think Clevinger's was a mutual option that he also declined.

They used that to delay some of his money to the end of the season. It was Rick Hahn's way of being tricky and moving some money onto 2024, much like Backloading Benintendi's deal. They were going to be successful in 2023 so they'd have more money to work with by the end of the year, because Rick Hahn was an expert at building baseball teams and knew what he was doing.

FWIW, at the trade deadline, a team picking him up would have been on the hook for a tiny bit over $6 million if the White Sox contributed nothing. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic