Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s definitely possible, and obviously wouldn’t be the first time Preller pantsed a Sox GM in a trade involving a starting pitcher.

I wouldn’t have had the balls to hang onto Cease and risk injury and Getz didn’t either.  But many other posters made the argument that Cease doesn’t really get hurt, which has stayed true thus far.

On 3/13/2024 at 7:53 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I will be honest, I am surprised another team didn't beat this.  I probably would have went into the season with Cease vs this.

I am on team HODL

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Like I said, I do remember numerous posters saying that they would hold onto Cease, if the trade offers weren’t good enough.  This is definitely no hindsight BS.

I was a wuss like Getz and was too worried he would get injured.  But Getz was probably also pressured by JR to dump his $8 million salary.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Like I said, I do remember numerous posters saying that they would hold onto Cease, if the trade offers weren’t good enough.  This is definitely no hindsight BS.

I was a wuss like Getz and was too worried he would get injured.  But Getz was probably also pressured by JR to dump his $8 million salary.

They added Clevinger and Pham since then

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They added Clevinger and Pham since then

I believe they each signed for a base salary of $3 million.  Unless they reach some of their incentives, Jerry is still in the green by $2 million from Getz dealing Cease.

If Cease was still with the Sox, I don’t know that you could assume that Jerry would’ve approved Getz adding Clevinger and Pham for the additional $6 million.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It's funny cause Rick Hahn was in the same boat with Quintana and got Cease and Eloy by holding onto Q.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's funny cause Rick Hahn was in the same boat with Quintana and got Cease and Eloy by holding onto Q.

Not really a comparable situation given how much projected surplus value Q had at the time relative to his salary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not really a comparable situation given how much projected surplus value Q had at the time relative to his salary.

And how Q was a much lower injury risk due to not being a high below pitcher with previous TJS.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yeah, dude had another year and a half control over what Cease had. And cheap.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ron883 said:

So... Will the Padres flip Cease at the deadline for more than they traded? Did Preller absolutely pants the Great Getz? A sexy 0.75 WHIP and 2.19 ERA. 

Why would the Padres trade Cease in July? That makes no sense. They’re currently tied for the #6 playoff seed in the NL and just traded four prospects for Luis Arraez.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They took the risk of having Cease during the season.. We clearly were not wanting to do that and it could pay. Luckily Iriarte is looking really really good (if you forget his 8 walks yesterday)

And what about Drew Thorpe?

Some people here trying so hard to admonish Getz for this trade too but Iriarte, Thorpe, and Wilson have been lights out too. Yes, it’s possible that a trade is a win-win. Win for the Padres in the short term, win for the Sox in the long term..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And what about Drew Thorpe?

Some people here trying so hard to admonish Getz for this trade too but Iriarte, Thorpe, and Wilson have been lights out too. Yes, it’s possible that a trade is a win-win. Win for the Padres in the short term, win for the Sox in the long term..

Wilson has a net negative fWAR.

He has been pretty decent, comparatively.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wilson has a net negative fWAR.

He has been pretty decent, comparatively.

His walks have been too high but he’s been one of the best sox relievers this season since the start. 2.93 ERA this season, 3.41 ERA for his career. He’s a legit reliever that will carry real trade value in two months.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

All I can say is thank god Getz didn’t take the Corbin Burnes package (or anything even close to it). This return is light years better than what the Brewers got. What in the hell were the Brewers thinking? Geezzz

Little Joey Ortiz is doing a lot better than most of us thought.  Getz needs to overpay for as many Orioles scouts as he can on Jerry’s dime.  However, the DL Hall part of that trade was trash from the start and I remember thinking that, so I’m not surprised that the Orioles were offering him around.  A mediocre reliever that the Orioles hyped up as a potential starter.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Little Joey Ortiz is doing a lot better than most of us thought.  Getz needs to overpay for as many Orioles scouts as he can on Jerry’s dime.  However, the DL Hall part of that trade was trash from the start and I remember thinking that, so I’m not surprised that the Orioles were offering him around.  A mediocre reliever that the Orioles hyped up as a potential starter.

Joey Madrigal is a utility player. That’s the main piece in the Burnes trade? 🤮

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The angle I was going for was hot market commodity and the Sox were very clearly sellers. 

We heard all offseason about the Cease bidding war and then didn't get a high-level hitting prospect in return (Zavala is projectable).

1 minute ago, Quin said:

The angle I was going for was hot market commodity and the Sox were very clearly sellers. 

We heard all offseason about the Cease bidding war and then didn't get a high-level hitting prospect in return (Zavala is projectable).

We'll just have to be patient and see how it pans out. The Sale trade looked immaculate for a few years too.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Joey Madrigal is a utility player. That’s the main piece in the Burnes trade? 🤮

Apparently, Getz needs to find more utility players with an .849 OPS.  He couldn’t find one player this offseason that could do that.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Apparently, Getz needs to find more utility players with an .849 OPS.  He couldn’t find one player this offseason that could do that.

He’s quite literally a utility player for the brewers. If he played everyday his OPS wouldn’t be that high guaranteed. Anyways, it’s funny you’re even remotely defending that trade because if the Sox made the same deal we’d be hearing about how awful it was every single day, multiple times a day..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

His walks have been too high but he’s been one of the best sox relievers this season since the start. 2.93 ERA this season, 3.41 ERA for his career. He’s a legit reliever that will carry real trade value in two months.

He's like an inverted Bummer right now. He's got a .135 BABIP against him (while he's had low his last two seasons, not that low) and his FIP is 6.22. 

He might be the one pitcher benefiting from the defense.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He’s quite literally a utility player for the brewers. If he played everyday his OPS wouldn’t be that high guaranteed. Anyways, it’s funny you’re even remotely defending that trade because if the Sox made the same deal we’d be hearing about how awful it was every single day, multiple times a day..

I’m not defending it.  I’m glad the Sox didn’t make that trade.  I was just surprised at how well some of the Orioles young players are doing, including a guy like Ortiz that they traded away.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's like an inverted Bummer right now. He's got a .135 BABIP against him (while he's had low his last two seasons, not that low) and his FIP is 6.22. 

He might be the one pitcher benefiting from the defense.

He’s a cheap controllable reliever with a career ERA in the mid 3’s. He stays healthy and continues this level of production for two months he’ll return a 45 FV prospect. Not bad for a 4th piece in the Cease trade no?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not defending it.  I’m glad the Sox didn’t make that trade.  I was just surprised how well some of the cast away Orioles players are doing.

What are you taking about? DL Hall has a 7.71 ERA. He’s worse than Chris Flexen and it’s not even close tbh.

• Like 1