Pony up!

SoxFest23

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'm a sucker and easy money for Jerry. I pout and moan about this franchise, and then I'm over on '47's website looking for new hats to wear to the one series the Sox come to Boston every year.

It's an abusive relationship and I can't quit it.

You and me both, brother. But at least it makes it easy on my wife and son for birthday, father's day and Christmas. I just get some '47 stuff throughout the year and tell them to wrap it up for me later. And I'm always happy....and suprised because I usually forget what I ordered.

3 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'm a sucker and easy money for Jerry. I pout and moan about this franchise, and then I'm over on '47's website looking for new hats to wear to the one series the Sox come to Boston every year.

It's an abusive relationship and I can't quit it.

Ditto.  I'm also of the naive mindset that the team has at least a spiritual existence independent of the ownership group that is holding it hostage.  My loyalty is to that team, and that laundry, and there's nothing Jerry or anyone else can do to break the bond.  Even still, ended my season ticket package last year and went to two games:  Opening Day (continuing a long streak) and Halfway to St. Pat's for a long-running friends/family group outing.  I expect I'll continue at that level and pray that somehow the team will reward my loyalty someday.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I will probably go to one game in July (aftermarket cheap ticket) just to satisfy my love for baseball.

No more merchandise/hats, God no, embarrassed to wear the stuff I already own.

Probably reduce my Sox related spending by 5X.

Hearing JR clips on wscr pissed me off all over again. The "I'll tell you what, we won't be in after Ohtani.. Hahaha" 

FU JR POS!

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, tray said:

Trying to piss me off.

No, just giving you reasons to spend money in November.

In terms of my White Sox spending the past four years:

• 2019: 12-15 games plus merchandise, Sox Beer Fest, etc..
  • 2020: Spring Training Game. COVID bullshit thereafter.
  • October 26, 2020 - End of 2022: Tony La Russa Boycott - f*** you Jerry.
  • 2023: Went to games via resellers, also bought the $1 ticket game from the team but did not go, plus on friends tickets. Also bought Sox hats on MLB.
  • 2024 and Beyond: Now that it’s been reported Tony is back with the White Sox, I’m going to wait until he is definitively gone and possibly until Jerry passes, sells / or is incapacitated and replaced before spending money on his team.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Only the Sox would hold a fan fest event at the ballpark, outside, and in the coldest month of the year. 

A few teams hold an event for fans the day or two days before Opening Day. Likely be cold, but still wouldn't cost the team anything for the space, just staffing. They can offer free admission for this like most teams do, or perhaps charge something or charge for extras like going on the field / autographs and the money goes to Sox Charities. Also would be smart to hold kids clinics free of charge. Avoids the "issue" of having players have to come into town during the off-season.

They can also hold the event at the United Center the weekend of Feb 10-11, can also coordinate the United Center for future years for a January Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday event.

1 hour ago, tray said:

As far as spending, time is money. It is life's final currency.  Remain positive and don't waste your time trying to ruin it for others.

I sincerely thought you might be interested in a nicely priced Eloy jersey. 

Also think many may be interested in getting a $70 / person mini season ticket plan on sale now. 10 Games for $7 minimum, all games available except Jason Benetti's triumphant return to Comiskey Park on March 28 and the stupid Cubs two games. You can even pay an extra fee to upgrade to Opening Day tickets.

If you pick a weekday April, May or September game, chances are your $7 tickets will allow you lower level access since they many times close the Upper Deck for lower attended games to save operating expenses (ushers, vendors, custodians, security (as if), etc.. Also a good deal if you want to pick the games they generally jack up the prices for (Yankees, Red Cubs, possibly the Dodgers) and pick either Upper Deck box for a C-Note or the Outfield Reserve to guarantee decent seat selection

You exchange the vouchers via their account manager phone app when regular season single game tickets go on sale.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/tickets/packs?utm_source=CWS.com&utm_medium=CWS_Media_Wall+&utm_campaign=Holiday_Packs_6_Vouchers&utm_term=Ongoing_Sales&utm_content=Single_Game

I went to three games this past season, bought two hats, bought an unquantifiable number of beers. I regret not going to more games. The team sux, the owner is an idiot, but it's still a fun day out and very affordable compared to the Cubs or Bulls or Bears. That's one reason I hate the Cubs, the prices are extortionate because they play in a world famous historic landmark, have a national fanbase and are surrounded by yup neighborhoods. it's an elitist team and Ricketts seems more cartoonishly evil than Reinsdorf, Senior is a massive racist and you can watch in real time how that family is destroying Lakeview. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, nrockway said:

I went to three games this past season, bought two hats, bought an unquantifiable number of beers. I regret not going to more games. The team sux, the owner is an idiot, but it's still a fun day out and very affordable compared to the Cubs or Bulls or Bears. That's one reason I hate the Cubs, the prices are extortionate because they play in a world famous historic landmark, have a national fanbase and are surrounded by yup neighborhoods. it's an elitist team and Ricketts seems more cartoonishly evil than Reinsdorf, Senior is a massive racist and you can watch in real time how that family is destroying Lakeview. 

Who is senior?  Tom? or is there another? Destroying Lake View?  How so?  I don't doubt that you're correct......

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Who is senior?  Tom? or is there another? Destroying Lake View?  How so?  I don't doubt that you're correct......

Tom's father, Joe, founded Ameritrade and is the source of the Ricketts family wealth and is also a pretty massive piece of s%*#.

"Destroying" Lakeview is dramatic but it's concerning how much property they have bought up, how they're developing it and frankly that a single family basically owns the entire commercial corridor along Clark. It's basically become a theme park for well-paid young people and businesspeople entertaining their clients. Very little character, lots of drunks, more crime, fewer and fewer families. However, if you like Starbucks there are 6 within walking distance (only 3 Chipotles).  The new residential construction facilitates this change because it's more profitable to divide your building into studios and 1-beds than it is to have 3 and 4 bed units. The neighborhood is doomed.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-cubs-wrigleyville-redevelopment-met-20161023-story.html

This article is a pretty good summary. The park itself is more valuable to the owners than the actual team is.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, nrockway said:

Tom's father, Joe, founded Ameritrade and is the source of the Ricketts family wealth and is also a pretty massive piece of s%*#.

"Destroying" Lakeview is dramatic but it's concerning how much property they have bought up, how they're developing it and frankly that a single family basically owns the entire commercial corridor along Clark. It's basically become a theme park for well-paid young people and businesspeople entertaining their clients. Very little character, lots of drunks, more crime, fewer and fewer families. However, if you like Starbucks there are 6 within walking distance (only 3 Chipotles).  The new residential construction facilitates this change because it's more profitable to divide your building into studios and 1-beds than it is to have 3 and 4 bed units. The neighborhood is doomed.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-cubs-wrigleyville-redevelopment-met-20161023-story.html

This article is a pretty good summary. The park itself is more valuable to the owners than the actual team is.

Jerry purchased Comiskey Park, The Baseball Palace of the World.

From the first day as owner he wanted to tear it down and replace it with either Saint Petersburg’s god-awful stadium or the Robert Taylor Homes West version he demanded.

Could have completely refurbished the OG stadium. Could have been immersed in a neighborhood just like Wrigley as proposed in the Armour Square design. Could have still kept his garbage new proposal but faced the open OF concourse for views of the Chicago skyline.

Nope, Jerry wanted the two worst possible proposals (TB or current stadium), surrounded completely by parking lots for max profits, or so he thought. Always penny smart dollar foolish.

Jerry didn’t realize or appreciate what he purchased or where he purchased it. He was a carpetbagging Brooklyn Dodger fan seeking the biggest grift. Jerry literally destroyed the neighborhood south of the park, and cut off Bridgeport to the north and west. Not a fan of the Ricketts, but there is no comparison in terms of what these two owners did to a neighborhood, to or for their ball clubs, and for or against their fans.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry purchased Comiskey Park, The Baseball Palace of the World.

From the first day as owner he wanted to tear it down and replace it with either Saint Petersburg’s god-awful stadium or the Robert Taylor Homes West version he demanded.

Could have completely refurbished the OG stadium. Could have been immersed in a neighborhood just like Wrigley as proposed in the Armour Square design. Could have still kept his garbage new proposal but faced the open OF concourse for views of the Chicago skyline.

Nope, Jerry wanted the two worst possible proposals (TB or current stadium), surrounded completely by parking lots for max profits, or so he thought. Always penny smart dollar foolish.

Jerry didn’t realize or appreciate what he purchased or where he purchased it. He was a carpetbagging Brooklyn Dodger fan seeking the biggest grift. Jerry literally destroyed the neighborhood south of the park, and cut off Bridgeport to the north and west. Not a fan of the Ricketts, but there is no comparison in terms of what these two owners did to a neighborhood, to or for their ball clubs, and for or against their fans.

In hindsight, it's probably for the best for that area that they didn't create Camden Yards Midwest even if it derives from Reinsdorf being a moron and stuck in the past. I'm very skeptical of this ballpark development model in which they never just build or refurbish a park, they have to derive maximum profit by building an entire district of hotels, bars, restaurants, luxury housing. Is that fun? I guess so. Is it a good thing that urban tax revenue is entirely predicated on yuppy consumption habits and so cities encourage exclusively that sort of development? I don't think so. 

Personally don't think you can blame Jerry for not gentrifying that area effectively enough. Would local residents have actually desired that accompanying development that would have certainly priced people out of their homes? Is the site at 35th/Shields comparable to Baltimore's Inner Harbor to justify a "work-live-play" district? Perhaps if the team moves to Soldier Field, that makes sense, build all that garbage on Northerly Island.

Easier I think to blame M. Daley and Bill Clinton and CHA's "Plan for Transformation" for the state of that area. It demolished thousands of people's homes around there and replaced them with nothing, leaving permanent scars on the landscape and doing untold damage to the city's residents. 30 years later and the gentrification project in Bronzeville is in full swing however, so maybe that sort of development makes sense for the next park (if there will be one). I'd rather there still be an opportunity for the city to coerce the next ownership group to build something actually useful on the Stateway Gardens site, like low-income housing or perhaps a sports complex or otherwise something community facing. I do not lament the fact that Reinsdorf did not use his baseball team to speed up the gentrification process like Ricketts did. That family has a much larger negative impact on the city and on national politics than Reinsdorf. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, nrockway said:

In hindsight, it's probably for the best for that area that they didn't create Camden Yards Midwest even if it derives from Reinsdorf being a moron and stuck in the past. I'm very skeptical of this ballpark development model in which they never just build or refurbish a park, they have to derive maximum profit by building an entire district of hotels, bars, restaurants, luxury housing. Is that fun? I guess so. Is it a good thing that urban tax revenue is entirely predicated on yuppy consumption habits and so cities encourage exclusively that sort of development? I don't think so. 

Personally don't think you can blame Jerry for not gentrifying that area effectively enough. Would local residents have actually desired that accompanying development that would have certainly priced people out of their homes? Is the site at 35th/Shields comparable to Baltimore's Inner Harbor to justify a "work-live-play" district? Perhaps if the team moves to Soldier Field, that makes sense, build all that garbage on Northerly Island.

Easier I think to blame M. Daley and Bill Clinton and CHA's "Plan for Transformation" for the state of that area. It demolished thousands of people's homes around there and replaced them with nothing, leaving permanent scars on the landscape and doing untold damage to the city's residents. 30 years later and the gentrification project in Bronzeville is in full swing however, so maybe that sort of development makes sense for the next park (if there will be one). I'd rather there still be an opportunity for the city to coerce the next ownership group to build something actually useful on the Stateway Gardens site, like low-income housing or perhaps a sports complex or otherwise something community facing. I do not lament the fact that Reinsdorf did not use his baseball team to speed up the gentrification process like Ricketts did. That family has a much larger negative impact on the city and on national politics than Reinsdorf. 

Rangers and Padres also have these "all in one" destination site plans in place...Arlington already had at last park.  Braves come to mind here as well.

KC currently targeting such a plan with three different downtown spots under consideration.

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

The Wrigley Field area was gentrified in the 1980s, when college graduates began moving here for jobs in financial, insurance and other industries replacing our manufacturing base. This and the garbage AirBNB type sites today were/are far more impactful than anything over the past few years, though like you I don’t like the process of how they acquired the buildings directly across on Sheffield and Waveland, including blocking their views into the park a decade ago.

In terms of the Sox, there was a contemporary fight to keep the neighborhood to the south in tact. Local businesses were also fighting for survival, including McCuddy’s, which the Governor pledged would be relocated across the street where that garbage corporate bar Jerry controls is now located.

https://chicagoreader.com/news-politics/the-mccuddys-mess-big-jim-opens-big-mouth-tavern-owners-get-big-shaft/

McCuddy’s will be moved across the street to preserve it as a historic structure” - Jim Thompson July 7, 1988

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'll be sitting in section 162 with the same 20 game, enjoying the great game of baseball. I split them so I go to about 10. As someone else said, it goes real nice with the cuban comet sandwich. 

Win or lose I renew my tickets every year. I love the team, love where I sit, like parking in the parking lot and I like the food at the stadium. Looking forward to Opening Day and a much better season of baseball.

12 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Win or lose I renew my tickets every year. I love the team, love where I sit, like parking in the parking lot and I like the food at the stadium. Looking forward to Opening Day and a much better season of baseball.

Who can Getz and Grifol blame for poor performance (other than Moncada and Eloy) when almost all of their so called bad attitude guys are gone but the team is still worse by a long shot in 2024???

Poor fan support?  No discernible home field advantage?

49 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I have a question for the guys never giving up their season tickets despite being able to get tickets much cheaper closer to the date of the game. If Reinsdorf personally spit in your face when you walked through security, would you still renew?

Now you are just taking it to an absurd extreme. But to answer your question, yes because you can't buy first row, ailse seats for cheap much cheaper than the season tickets especially with the discounted parking. 

Be as crabby, cranky and pessimistic as you want. You still can't beat a day at the ballpark. 

49 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I have a question for the guys never giving up their season tickets despite being able to get tickets much cheaper closer to the date of the game. If Reinsdorf personally spit in your face when you walked through security, would you still renew?

He wouldn't dare, knowing fans could very likely be armed with guns hidden in their flabs of fat.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Now you are just taking it to an absurd extreme. But to answer your question, yes because you can't buy first row, ailse seats for cheap much cheaper than the season tickets especially with the discounted parking.

Be as crabby, cranky and pessimistic as you want. You still can't beat a day at the ballpark. 

We’ll see

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I know it’s different for me, as I walk to the games, so I shouldn’t talk too much s%*#. I understand the draw of the parking. Just means nothing to me personally.