Eloy Trade Rumor Thread

SoxAce

5 hours ago, WBWSF said:

When they traded Burger they said they had too many DHs. If they trade Eloy they won't have anybody to DH. They also won't have anybody batting behind Robert Jr. Robert Jr will be pitched around with nobody batting behind  him protecting him.

Technically, they really don't have anyone of value DHing or batting behind Robert right now either. I'd pitch around Robert if the guy behind him had a .758 OPS too.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, WBWSF said:

When they traded Burger they said they had too many DHs. If they trade Eloy they won't have anybody to DH. They also won't have anybody batting behind Robert Jr. Robert Jr will be pitched around with nobody batting behind  him protecting him.

Literally anyone can DH, you don't have to be a big slow plodder to occupy the DH spot. That was what was meant when the Sox had too many DH's, slow big men who can't play anywhere else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, T R U said:

Literally anyone can DH, you don't have to be a big slow plodder to occupy the DH spot. That was what was meant when the Sox had too many DH's, slow big men who can't play anywhere else. 

I prefer not to have a full-time DH. If you have someone like Robert who maybe needs a couple days not in the field you can keep his bat in the lineup. Or the other guys. Keeps everybody more fresh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jim Margulis said:

"Jiménez isn’t particularly athletic, he doesn’t offer defensive value, and he hasn’t been able to provide a visually satisfying effort, and whether that’s due to frequent leg injuries or bad work habits is your call."

Actually, Eloy is "particularly athletic' for a 6' 4" DH that can hit for average and power. He is a lifetime  162 game average .275 hitter / 33 HR. He does have speed on the bases. Sheets has too much swing and miss to be the DH, even on a platoon basis. Vaughn, only a year younger than Eloy, is substantially less athletic than Sheets, markedly slower, and likewise provides questionable defense at any position.  Of the three, Eloy stands out as the best choice for DH.

The "visually satisfying effort" comment strikes me as strange at best and at worst possibly carries with it some darker perceptions. 

Eloy had surgery to his hamstring, to his wrist and earlier this year, had his appendix removed. It is short sighted to add all those reasons together when evaluating Eloy as a player. IMO, the Margulis comments are really foolish but it is not the first time I found that guy to be way off base and at times, a bit strange.

1 minute ago, tray said:

Jim Margulis said:

"Jiménez isn’t particularly athletic, he doesn’t offer defensive value, and he hasn’t been able to provide a visually satisfying effort, and whether that’s due to frequent leg injuries or bad work habits is your call."

Actually, Eloy is "particularly athletic' for a 6' 4" DH that can hit for average and power. He is a lifetime  162 game average .275 hitter / 33 HR. He does have speed on the bases. Sheets has too much swing and miss to be the DH, even on a platoon basis. Vaughn, only a year younger than Eloy, is substantially less athletic than Sheets, markedly slower, and likewise provides questionable defense at any position.  Of the three, Eloy stands out as the best choice for DH.

The "visually satisfying effort" comment strikes me as strange at best and at worst possibly carries with it some darker perceptions. 

Eloy had surgery to his hamstring, to his wrist and earlier this year, had his appendix removed. It is short sighted to add all those reasons together when evaluating Eloy as a player. IMO, the Margulis comments are really foolish but it is not the first time I found that guy to be way off base and at times, a bit strange.

If you're going to discredit any season Eloy has an injury or surgery, you will never be able to fairly judge him lol

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tray said:

Jim Margulis said:

Jimenez has value, despite his injuries and defensive limitations. Now he did have a poor year at the plate, but was healthier than the past. Maybe he can have a normal offseason and work with some new coaches and spring board into an elite season.  I think that is probably smarter than dealing him for 10 cents on the dollar.  

Sheets on the other hand is awful.  He can't play the field and is a lousy hitter with zero upside nor does he have a track record in the minors that would make you think otherwise. And it isn't like he's a platoon beast or something that smashes right handers.  This is a guy that for whatever reason has gotten massive amount of at bats despite having zero upside and limited to bad tools across the board.  He is literally one of the worst players in all of baseball and somehow he has gotten a massive amount of playing time over past couple season(s).  I get one season - but last year the amount of run he got for the limited upside (and pure downside given how atrocious he is in the field) was just unimaginable.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Jimenez has value, despite his injuries and defensive limitations. Now he did have a poor year at the plate, but was healthier than the past. Maybe he can have a normal offseason and work with some new coaches and spring board into an elite season.  I think that is probably smarter than dealing him for 10 cents on the dollar.  

Sheets on the other hand is awful.  He can't play the field and is a lousy hitter with zero upside nor does he have a track record in the minors that would make you think otherwise. And it isn't like he's a platoon beast or something that smashes right handers.  This is a guy that for whatever reason has gotten massive amount of at bats despite having zero upside and limited to bad tools across the board.  He is literally one of the worst players in all of baseball and somehow he has gotten a massive amount of playing time over past couple season(s).  I get one season - but last year the amount of run he got for the limited upside (and pure downside given how atrocious he is in the field) was just unimaginable.  

I probably would have non-tendered before that deadline or DFA'd him today over Haseley personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I probably would have non-tendered before that deadline or DFA'd him today over Haseley personally.

Dude has 9 lives. He wasn't ever even fun bad like Palka yet he's gotten so many opportunities to prove he sucks. And somehow he still has a roster spot.

• Like 1

Baltimore, where Gavin's father played, would obviously would be the logical choice for Sheets to be traded for some minor league prospect. He can run faster than I thought after seeing him play RF in person but he is a big man that is probably not going to play outfield for any other team.

56 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Dude has 9 lives. He wasn't ever even fun bad like Palka yet he's gotten so many opportunities to prove he sucks. And somehow he still has a roster spot.

If they move Eloy, I think they are keeping Sheets for his 10th life as their MLB minimum salary DH.

As long as he is not playing RF, whatever, since 2024 appears to be another tanking year.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If they move Eloy, I think they are keeping Sheets for his 10th life as their MLB minimum salary DH.

As long as he is not playing RF, whatever, since 2024 appears to be another tanking year.

IMO...depends on if we trade with LAD and if Busch is one of the pieces that come back.

If so, Busch/Vaughn will be 1B/DH and switch off and Sheets is out of a job entirely. 

2 hours ago, tray said:

Eloy's hasn't shown he can be relied upon to be regularly available to the team. How do you not factor that in when evaluating him as a player?

In the meantime, we continue the "Eloy play more than 122 games in a season" challenge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

10 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Think he still has 2 options (for sure 1). Really really would like to see him be in Charlotte instead of Chicago. 

22 hours ago, Snopek said:

Eloy's hasn't shown he can be relied upon to be regularly available to the team. How do you not factor that in when evaluating him as a player?

You evaluate him as a player based on his 162 game BA and HR average which is borderline elite level. You do not conflate reliance with anticipated time off moving forward because he will not be playing in the outfield. He should be fully rehabbed from his hamstring surgery, and his appendix was removed. Eloy does not want any more issues with the hamstring so he will do whatever he can in terms of stretching it out and warming up in the clubhouse between at-bats.  Also, no more big final step at first base trying to leg out a single. I think we need his bat behind Robert and Vaughn in the middle of the order to remain competitive.

• Haha 1

Eloy has played at DH for over a full season and has not performed.

182 Games, .739 OPS

There is nothing elite about that. 

He has nearly twice as many home runs as a left fielder (55 vs. 30) over 51 more games.

He is not cut out to DH, does not want to play DH, and his poor attitude about the role is one of the things that need to change if he is going to last in the MLB into his 30s, because he cannot field and cannot stay healthy attempting to field.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, tray said:

You evaluate him as a player based on his 162 game BA and HR average which is borderline elite level. You do not conflate reliance with anticipated time off moving forward because he will not be playing in the outfield. He should be fully rehabbed from his hamstring surgery, and his appendix was removed. Eloy does not want any more issues with the hamstring so he will do whatever he can in terms of stretching it out and warming up in the clubhouse between at-bats.  Also, no more big final step at first base trying to leg out a single. I think we need his bat behind Robert and Vaughn in the middle of the order to remain competitive.

What are those averages?

1 hour ago, tray said:

Until you replace all his human parts with robot parts, you have to assume Eloy will miss significant time every year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Until you replace all his human parts with robot parts, you have to assume Eloy will miss significant time every year.

Or another GM believes stronger coaching and training get him to learn to run, walk, and carry himself in a way that doesn't court injury. Maybe he needs a little more discipline on the fundamentals so that he's not flopping around during team celebrations, reaching back in weird ways on balls in play, etc. 

I'd guess the trading team already has a plan in place for Eloy when they pull the trigger. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Or another GM believes stronger coaching and training get him to learn to run, walk, and carry himself in a way that doesn't court injury. Maybe he needs a little more discipline on the fundamentals so that he's not flopping around during team celebrations, reaching back in weird ways on balls in play, etc. 

I'd guess the trading team already has a plan in place for Eloy when they pull the trigger. 

It’s probably somewhere in between, but the reality is Eloy is just an awkward dude and will more susceptible to injuries than most players even if he improves prep, conditioning, etc.

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Again, just jonesing for names, Elijah Evans throws together 5 random trade ideas, one involving Eloy:

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/five-mocks-trades-that-would-make-both-teams-better/

Brewers Acquire: DH Eloy Jiménez

White Sox Acquire: LHP Aaron Ashby and INF Juan Baez

Getting Ashby for Eloy would be wild.

9 hours ago, tray said:

As to the bold, that’s not how it works. You can take the stats of dozens of NBA guys that come off the bench and project them out for 36 mpg and impress yourself with the results. But they come off the bench for a reason. Alas, Eloy is at the doctors office frequently for a reason. His body is not going to become more healthy as the years go by.  Eloy gets injured  more in the batters box, and running to first base than he does in the outfield probably anyway.

• Like 1