The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I didn’t even know of that story until you shared today. Literally out of nowhere.

It took me forever to find it. Still can't find a thing about his supposed hissy fit about quitting because of something something on Instagram about maybe not getting promoted fast enough ?

Google search has to be worded just the right way to come up with stories that surfaced for a brief moment then are forgotten. I tried a lot of different combination of words.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It took me forever to find it. Still can't find a thing about his supposed hissy fit about quitting because of something something on Instagram about maybe not getting promoted fast enough ?

Google search has to be worded just the right way to come up with stories that surfaced for a brief moment then are forgotten. I tried a lot of different combination of words.

Are you crossing it up with the part where Yermin Mercedes said he was retiring? That's what your words sound like to me right here?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you crossing it up with the part where Yermin Mercedes said he was retiring? That's what your words sound like to me right here?

Colas did make a post insinuating there was frustration about not being promoted, but he never threatened to quit. That was Mercedes.

35 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Colas did make a post insinuating there was frustration about not being promoted, but he never threatened to quit. That was Mercedes.

I’ve been trying to find it too, but it wasn’t a direct statement about quitting like Yermin.

It was an Instagram post showing frustration with a current situation while simultaneously removing all things White Sox from his account. 

I probably should have chosen my words more carefully bringing the story up in this thread, but he appeared to be insinuating he was “done” with the White Sox or baseball all together. 

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

I’ve been trying to find it too, but it wasn’t a direct statement about quitting like Yermin.

It was an Instagram post showing frustration with a current situation while simultaneously removing all things White Sox from his account. 

I probably should have chosen my words more carefully bringing the story up in this thread, but he appeared to be insinuating he was “done” with the White Sox or baseball all together. 

He said “I’m tired of being treated like a slave” in Spanish

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No because others remember it  too. That's I brought it up in the 1st place because someone else mentioned it and I asked for confirmation or a link to see what the exact story was. I wasn't sure the reason why Colas was upset

1 hour ago, tray said:

It would be big news in this town if the Sox signed Bellinger. Yes, I know they won't, but it would be big news on both sides of town.

It would fade after a week or two.

The Benintendi Bounce lasted less than three days...and that was when the team still looked like a potential contender entering 2023.

It seems like the Sox are concerned about salary more than ever before. I guess it could be cause so much $$ is going to a couple players. But it seems like once they finally get rid of Beni, Moncada and Timmy and Eloy they may really have a low payroll. Didn't they sign Eloy to some huge deal off potential? I've never seen the Sox be such a non factor in acquiring good players. It's like they are playing a different brand of moneyball.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, tray said:

It would be big news in this town if the Sox signed Bellinger. Yes, I know they won't, but it would be big news on both sides of town.

Yes, we should throw a stupidly massive contract (one which Reinsdorf has never gotten close to) at an up and down bat that still won’t make the Sox a competitor, just to show up Cubs fans.  He would be another bloated Moncada contract on a loser of a team.  How long did it take you to come up with this amazing idea?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

It seems like the Sox are concerned about salary more than ever before. I guess it could be cause so much $$ is going to a couple players. But it seems like once they finally get rid of Beni, Moncada and Timmy and Eloy they may really have a low payroll. Didn't they sign Eloy to some huge deal off potential? I've never seen the Sox be such a non factor in acquiring good players. It's like they are playing a different brand of moneyball.

So far this off-season has been a complete bust, I’ve been more excited watching grass grow.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:38 PM, fathom said:

Thank you. Helped me find the thread for it right here in Soxtalk

https://www.soxtalk.com/forums/topic/112965-oscar-colas-story-is-this-true/

Right under my nose the whole time. The link is re: Colas' crisis near the end of June '22. 7 pages of our opinions on what happened. My best guess is he's missing family , still in A+, lots of stuff on his mind , feeling lost, stranger in yet another strange land for him. All kinds of new people in his life.. language barrier. Basically overwhelmed and he lashed out in a  public way , in the wrong way as a cry for help. It honestly seemed like it was over pretty quickly. Maybe he got help from coaches . Some players need more attention than others.

Or he thinks he's entitled to more than he was getting and was being a prima Donna. 🤣

That basically sums up the 7 pages. But we never did find out why he said he was tired of being treated like a slave. I think the 2nd thing about his soul hurting was probably closer to how he really felt.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Cubs want Bellinger. At least get into negotiations and bid the salary up.

As I stated, I know that realistically this is not going to happen but thinking outside the box (can we do that here without getting stoned?)  an outfield of Bennintendi, Robert and Bellinger would be above average and possibly way above average.  Bellinger still looks like he is in good shape physically, is a good outfielder,  and can produce 15+ home runs. Kind of exactly what the Sox need to move the team toward being competitive and win back some fans.

42 minutes ago, tray said:

As I stated, I know that realistically this is not going to happen but thinking outside the box (can we do that here without getting stoned?)  an outfield of Bennintendi, Robert and Bellinger would be above average and possibly way above average.  Bellinger still looks like he is in good shape physically, is a good outfielder,  and can produce 15+ home runs. Kind of exactly what the Sox need to move the team toward being competitive and win back some fans.

Having at least an average major league rotation...bullpen and offense would help too.

Not anywhere close pitching-wise even with Dylan Cease. 

Without him, likely bottom 3 in the majors and much depending on Fedde and a group of castoffs/misfits/reclamation projects rivaling the Bad News Bears.

Plus Bellinger has 3-4 other teams interested beyond the Cubs.

1 hour ago, tray said:

If Reinsdorf opens up the checkbook for a player, I’d rather it not be Bellinger. 

Maybe Getz will be a little more efficient with Reinsdorf’s money compared to Hahn with Grandal, Keuchel, Bennintendi and everyone in between.

Either way, there is zero chance Jer is considering any contract for that type of money right now, or ever. 

5 hours ago, tray said:

That deal is going to be ugly fast. I can confidently say that about him and Snell too.

23 hours ago, fathom said:

he said the same thing when he was trying to get out of his NPB contract too lol. 

I didn't realize slaves got $2.7 million signing bonuses when they started working at the plantations. What a silly thing to say especially given the context, he sped through the minors and there was good reason he stayed at A+ so long. I read an interview the other day with Andy Barkett from Jan 2023 about Colas, Benintendi and Romy. He said this:

“(Winston-Salem Dash manager) Lorenzo (Bundy) did an amazing job,” Barkett said. “Holding him (Oscar) accountable to the point of ‘Do you want to go to Double A? Do you want to move up? Well, you need to do this every day.’ (Colás) would come in his office after every game, and they would go over a checklist. ‘Did you do this today? Did you do this today?’ It wasn’t about getting two hits. It was like, ‘Did you go to the cage and prepare? Did you do your outfield work?’”

It seems to jive with the lack of preparation and poor fundamentals he was criticized for on the major league team, that he stayed in A+ so long because he wasn't taking the necessary steps to improve into a major league player. I hope this past season was a wakeup call for him.

Also, didn't realize til now that Barkett was fired. Does anyone know who they replaced him with?

6 hours ago, tray said:

I root for Bellinger because we went to high school together and I like to joke that he's the reason I stopped playing baseball because he did everything I did on the field, left-handed outfielder/first baseman, only he did it 100 times better.😅 Still, I think it would be a mistake to sign him to the contract he's likely to receive. I wouldn't mind a high AAV contract for 3 years and with team options for a 4th and 5th year but I don't think he's the best fit on this team. His best value is in center field and we already have a center fielder. I think the risk is too high of having two corner outfielders who can't hit for power when ideally that's where you might want to put some sluggers, especially considering our first baseman doesn't really hit for power. 

Maybe he can continue to bat .300 and hit 25 home runs, but I think it's risky. still, wouldn't be unhappy if the Sox signed him.

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I root for Bellinger because we went to high school together and I like to joke that he's the reason I stopped playing baseball because he did everything I did on the field, left-handed outfielder/first baseman, only he did it 100 times better.😅 Still, I think it would be a mistake to sign him to the contract he's likely to receive. I wouldn't mind a high AAV contract for 3 years and with team options for a 4th and 5th year but I don't think he's the best fit on this team. His best value is in center field and we already have a center fielder. I think the risk is too high of having two corner outfielders who can't hit for power when ideally that's where you might want to put some sluggers, especially considering our first baseman doesn't really hit for power. 

Maybe he can continue to bat .300 and hit 25 home runs, but I think it's risky. still, wouldn't be unhappy if the Sox signed him.

Signing Josh Hader for $100+ million would be the only thing less likely to happen than Bellinger.

Or either of Snell or Montgomery for $150-200 million.

15 minutes ago, nrockway said:

We really don’t have to worry about it anyways.  The biggest Sox contract of all time is $75 million to Benintendi.  Bellinger is expected to get over twice that.  Not happening unless perhaps Jacob Marley’s ghost visits Reinsdorf this offseason.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

We really don’t have to worry about it anyways.  The biggest Sox contract of all time is $75 million to Benintendi.  Bellinger is expected to get over twice that.  Not happening unless perhaps Jacob Marley’s ghost visits Reinsdorf this offseason.

More like Jerry Krause’s scouting ghost with another find in Brazil…

• Haha 1

Even though I'd love to get rid of Beni, he actually is an MLB caliber ballplayer. Right now we don't have many. Robert, Beni, Moncada and Timmy are the only ones along with Cease. Elvis was one, but he's sadly over the hill.

I don't count Eloy. Too small a sample size cause of hammy problems.