Haber out / Wong in as Assistant GM

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I wonder if the people who complain about the Royal hires ever worked for a garbage company. 

Do you now consider yourself unemployable because you worked under a shady or incompetent boss? Like, when you were 24, your boss was a spaz, and a bad manager. Do you ask prospective employers to take into mind that you were trained to fail when you interview?

I think the complainers should post their resumes and highlight the part that asks to be paid the minimum allowable because you will inevitably fail at your job, and put all the wrong procedures into place at their company. 

Dear lord. Here's the thing, this dude spent 24 years with the Royals. Getz has only worked for the Sox and Royals.

Barfield and Bannister bring experience from different orgs, which is good.

I've worked for three different companies in my industry. At each successive job, I've implemented workflow and skills from the previous jobs that have improved the subsequent workplace.

If you're keep hiring from the Royals, the Sox will just become the Sox culture mixed with the culture of another deadbeat organization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Snopek said:

Anyone know if the new fountains at the park will be in both left and right field or just right field?

Seems like just right since Getz has yet to find a LH for the OF. 

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thanks heavens we have yet another external advisor.

Right up there with TLR and Buddy Bell in modern Sox history...as well as Dayton Moore, peripherally.

Why can’t the Sox even cut ties correctly?  Just like the rumors of TLR still advising the Sox.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

If you're keep hiring from the Royals, the Sox will just become the Sox culture mixed with the culture of another deadbeat organization.

I trust that Getz is trying to change the culture here. I also trust that there might be key people he worked with in KC who recognizes were good at their jobs, and he thinks they could be a step up, here. I don't think that Getz locks eyes with a person who worked at KC, they turn into zombies and start droning, "Must fail!!  Must fail!!" 

I'm sure these guys also tell people in their life they're implementing workflow and skills from other jobs that improve the new place. 

Again, it's like we're pretending that anybody who ever worked at Sears or Kmart should never work again. They bring fail along with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I trust that Getz is trying to change the culture here. I also trust that there might be key people he worked with in KC who recognizes were good at their jobs, and he thinks they could be a step up, here. I don't think that Getz locks eyes with a person who worked at KC, they turn into zombies and start droning, "Must fail!!  Must fail!!" 

I'm sure these guys also tell people in their life they're implementing workflow and skills from other jobs that improve the new place. 

Again, it's like we're pretending that anybody who ever worked at Sears or Kmart should never work again. They bring fail along with them. 

You somehow grasped my point while letting it soar over your head.

Dipping a little bit into the Royals well, sure. Maybe Getz knew some really talented guys there.

But that's the predominant well that he keeps dipping into. Eventually, because they're taking so many people from that organization, including Getz himself, you'll build a Royals culture with a White Sox reskin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Dipping a little bit into the Royals well, sure. Maybe Getz knew some really talented guys there.

Or you worked a job, had a small handful of people you trusted in a shitty workplace, and want their special skills. It's called networking. Everybody does it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Again, there's ex-Royals' guys all over the league. I guess every team is going to lose 100 games this year. Because they hired their accountant. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Or you worked a job, had a small handful of people you trusted in a shitty workplace, and want their special skills. It's called networking. Everybody does it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Again, there's ex-Royals' guys all over the league. I guess every team is going to lose 100 games this year. Because they hired their accountant. 

Hey if you want to believe these are the right guys, more power to you.  Doesn’t seem like many of them come from winning scenarios but yea they might be the one guy that is good at his job in the entire organization that sucked ass , and surely they would want to leave the Royals for an up and coming situation like the white Sox have going on.   Yea I’m starting to buy into your line of thinking now after spelling it out like that.  Hire the guys from the shitty companies they know what NOT to do 

• Thanks 2

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-assistant-general-manager-jin-wong-part-ways

"He has had a major role in the negotiations of multi-year player contracts for the Royals, including Lorenzo Cain, Alex Gordon, Mike Moustakas, Danny Duffy and most recently Salvador Perez, who signed a four-year extension for a franchise-record $82 million in 2021.

The Athletic was the first to report Wong’s departure from the Royals, but it's not clear exactly why Wong left. His absence leaves a big hole for general manager J.J. Picollo to fill in Kansas City's front office.

Wong came to the Royals in 2000 as a scouting operations coordinator, advanced in the front office to manager of scouting operations and then made his way into baseball operations. He stayed on when former president of baseball operations Dayton Moore was hired in Kansas City in 2006 and has been a crucial part of the Royals’ front office for more than two decades."

He's exactly taking over Haber's role.

If anything, he will be even MORE important...along with Josh Barfield.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Getz

Barfield

Gene Watson/Wong

Shirley

Bannister

That's the core of your brain trust now.

Four with Royals' ties somewhere along the chain...five if you count Nick Hostetler to Dayton Moore through the Braves/Royals...which started with John Schuerholz originally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Getz

Barfield

Gene Watson/Wong

Shirley

Bannister

That's the core of your brain trust now.

Four with Royals' ties somewhere along the chain...five if you count Nick Hostetler to Dayton Moore through the Braves/Royals...which started with John Schuerholz originally.

What happened to Fabian?  Is he out with the addition of Watson?  Regardless, Marco Paddy & Paul Janish are obviously two other key guys you’re missing.

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What happened to Fabian?  Is he out with the addition of Watson?  Regardless, Marco Paddy & Paul Janish are obviously two other key guys you’re missing.

Fabian has been there forever.

It's just hard to imagine someone who has been part of the instututional memory forever being part of yet another reboot on the analytics side.  Then again, you have JR loyalty and Brooks and Fabian with their ND connections, right?  Farmer was part of that as well, in?his own?way.

Paddy is going to be an interesting case.  Has been on a long dry run ever since Luis Robert, Jr.  Not hearing anything about Cuban Connections any longer, especially with the bloom off the Colas rose.  Norge Vera, too.

Janish has to be there was Director Player of Development...just haven't seen his name nearly as much as Barfield and Bannister this offseason.

Janish makes six with Royals connections, by the way.

https://www.mlb.com/player/paul-janish-457926

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-assistant-general-manager-jin-wong-part-ways

"He has had a major role in the negotiations of multi-year player contracts for the Royals, including Lorenzo Cain, Alex Gordon, Mike Moustakas, Danny Duffy and most recently Salvador Perez, who signed a four-year extension for a franchise-record $82 million in 2021.

The Athletic was the first to report Wong’s departure from the Royals, but it's not clear exactly why Wong left. His absence leaves a big hole for general manager J.J. Picollo to fill in Kansas City's front office.

Wong came to the Royals in 2000 as a scouting operations coordinator, advanced in the front office to manager of scouting operations and then made his way into baseball operations. He stayed on when former president of baseball operations Dayton Moore was hired in Kansas City in 2006 and has been a crucial part of the Royals’ front office for more than two decades."

He's exactly taking over Haber's role.

If anything, he will be even MORE important...along with Josh Barfield.

• Gordon was a bad contract
  • Cain's extension was fine, I guess. But it was just buying out his last arbitration years and then he immediately left.
  • Moustakas' contact was bad, but I guess they traded it away
  • Danny Duffy immediately declined.
  • Salvador Perez became an albatross.

Oh joy. We got a dude who knows how to overpay vets on his team that are about to decline.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

I agree with all the negatives about bringing in all these KC folks. Here's the only potential way I see this working out for us, (and I don't believe it will actually happen.)

These guys are actually really good at their jobs but couldn't win because of payroll limits. They actually spend less than we do. We've at least have had recent years in the top ten payrolls. 

Again, I'm clutching at straws and scraping the bottom of the barrel to try to find anything positive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I agree with all the negatives about bringing in all these KC folks. Here's the only potential way I see this working out for us, (and I don't believe it will actually happen.)

These guys are actually really good at their jobs but couldn't win because of payroll limits. They actually spend less than we do. We've at least have had recent years in the top ten payrolls. 

Again, I'm clutching at straws and scraping the bottom of the barrel to try to find anything positive. 

Except this year the Royals so far are outstanding the entire AL East in free agency...partly in anticipation of building a bridge of competition to their new downtown facility coming to fruition.

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except this year the Royals so far are outstanding the entire AL East in free agency...partly in anticipation of building a bridge of competition to their new downtown facility coming to fruition.

I'm looking at their resume's. We don't know what they could have done if that spending was a few years ago. 

20 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm looking at their resume's. We don't know what they could have done if that spending was a few years ago. 

The 2017 Royals had an opening day payroll that was higher than any White Sox payroll until 2021.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article142357154.html

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/index.php?team=KCA&cyear=2017

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

OK. They were usually 25th in spending from what I saw.