Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

The Super Bowl rotation was Miami, New Orleans and Los Angeles until they started adding more in the 1980s. 

It wasn't nearly as big of a business for the local communities at that time though, and there weren't nearly as many fancy domed stadiums at the time.

Houston has had 2 since NRG stadium was built and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 3rd in the next 10 years. LA seems likely to get another as well. 

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Nobody wants to be in Chicago in February. Chicago (or Detroit, Minnesota, or even New York) are solely considered to keep the publicly funded stadium shakedown racket going, similar to the garbage MLB All Star Game stadium rotation.

It’s also a net money losing proposition in terms of local tax receipts vs. government funded expenses due to all the costs the NFL shifts to taxpayers. 

They really should just rotate between Miami, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Perhaps New Orleans if people still want to go there, which may be a stretch in 2024.

Dallas, Houston and Phoenix have ok plus weather, but not sure anyone wants to go there on a regular rotation.

https://www.betfirm.com/super-bowl-host-cities-stadiums/

Phoenix has hosted a Super Bowl 4 times, with 3 of those at their current State Farm Stadium.  Two of those were within an 8 year period (2015 and 2023).  So, I expect them to be on the NFL's list host again at some point.  

Dallas hosted once and, while the game was indoors, the weather during "Super Bowl week" was miserable.   https://abcnews.go.com/US/dallas-hit-bitter-cold-ice-super-bowl/story?id=12832352

New Orleans is hosting  the game again next year.  I'm personally not a fan of having it in Miami because it's outdoors and can rain - as it did for the Bears-Colts game.  But, I can see why the NFL likes going there since the week of festivities in the host city leading up to the game has become an important part of the event.  

4 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

This should be their next stadium.  Noah's Park.  They can dock at several points on the lakefront to pick up fans, then play the game while cruising Lake Michigan.

NoahsPark.jpg

Knowing this org, Titanic Inc. would soon buy the naming rights to the stadium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

This should be their next stadium.  Noah's Park.  They can dock at several points on the lakefront to pick up fans, then play the game while cruising Lake Michigan.

NoahsPark.jpg

There’s a Royals joke waiting to be written there

19 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

NoahsPark.jpg

And we think Eloy gets hurts too often on solid ground!  I’m picturing him trying to play the field in 5 foot swells!

Edited by RTC
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

NoahsPark.jpg

I’ve seen this elsewhere, and I’m sorry but I just don’t get the joke. 

• TLR 1

Andy Shaw, former local TV political reporter and former head of the Better Government Association, offers a pretty good opinion on funding for a new South Loop Sox ballpark including a suggestion of how to privately finance the new stadium.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/other-views/2024/03/13/white-sox-jerry-reinsdorf-white-sox-stadium-do-not-give-taxpayer-subsidies-andy-shaw

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Thanks 1

The Washington Post today has another story on the Northern Virginia proposed arena. A study conducted pointed out the economic benefits that were stated also include such things as 750 a night luxury hotel rooms and 75 dollars per fan to park their car.

Seems a mite high to me don't you think?

The sense is that the group pushing for the arena is basing at least in part, economic benefits that most individuals aren't going to be willing to pay:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/03/14/virginia-arena-financial-economic-impact-youngkin/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3d11bda%2F65f324a7715ef2295fc50f19%2F656f5633386724493aa28bcb%2F26%2F53%2F65f324a7715ef2295fc50f19

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This  South Loop stadium situation has been very quiet recently. Wonder whats going on behind closed doors.

Given the negative blow back maybe the parties involved are reassessing their positions. (If they aren't, they should be doing so...)

Here's what the Governor thinks:

“We’re prioritizing the use of dollars here for people who need those dollars,” he said. “Wealthy owners of sports teams, I respect that they run private businesses and they want them to be profitable, and they want constantly to provide better facilities for their customers. But I don’t think that should be the highest priority for the state of Illinois.

“… I’m willing to listen to whatever it is that they’re proposing, but my number-one concern is prioritizing the dollars and making sure the taxpayers are getting a return on their investment.”

53 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I talked to somebody today who is close to the franchise. He said the new stadium in the South Loop will definitely happen. We shall see.

Anything is possible but unless or until JR says the franchise is going to contribute a fair amount to build it, I simply can not see the political will to make it happen. The governor appears to be dead set against it and he isn't going anywhere and I can't see many other politicos sticking their necks out under the current circumstances.

The blowback has already been significant.

• Thanks 1

Gov. Pritzker announces plans to demolish, rebuild Stateville and Logan prisons

The governor's office estimated construction costs at $805 million to $935 million to tear down and rebuild the two prisons.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/jb-pritzker-stateville-logan-prisons-demolition-reconstruction/

"my number-one concern is prioritizing the dollars and making sure the taxpayers are getting a return on their investment." 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

They didn't need a billion dollar handout.

For the record, the Braves said that their original ballpark needed hundreds of millions (~$350m) in improvements to be viable for the team in the future, and short of that got the county and local authority to issue them hundreds of millions of bonds, of which they are going to pay back a fraction of them for the new stadium itself.  They also got captured transportation taxes and millions of dollars from their specially formed taxing district.

They started the surrounding projects later in phases after the stadium anchor was established.

Sound familiar?