Whitesox sign Kevin Pillar to Minor League Deal 3M if he makes the club

Vote4Pedro

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it will be a platoon with Brett Phillips.

Why?

How does this make any sense?  I understand making young players earn their way to the roster but the Sox have all their cards on the table and they have absolutely nothing for RF, SS, 2B, or catcher.  How does it make any sense to waste at bats on Pillar and Phillips over just letting Colas play and either boom or bust?  Why do bums like Pillar and Phillips deserve at bats over Colas?  Because they are veterans?  They are bad veterans!  They are already a known quantity of suck.  At least there is some glimmer of hope that Colas could turn into a decent player.

I don’t understand how the Sox run their awful team and I probably never will.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

With the amount of money they’ve used on crappy veterans with no upside, I would have rather they just use it towards a Montgomery extension.  

Seriously, save all the money Getz wasted this offseason dumpster diving for terrible veterans, put it in a vault, and spend it later on something worthwhile.  Not this collection of crap.  Is anyone really excited to see Martin Maldonado behind the plate instead of Carlos Perez?  DeJong and Lopez over Sosa?  Pillar over Colas?  It’s ridiculous.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I bet we see a platoon with Sheets.

With the focus on defense, I’d be surprised if Sheets plays much offense 

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it will be a platoon with Brett Phillips.

Agreed 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why?

How does this make any sense?  I understand making young players earn their way to the roster but the Sox have all their cards on the table and they have absolutely nothing for RF, SS, 2B, or catcher.  How does it make any sense to waste at bats on Pillar and Phillips over just letting Colas play and either boom or bust?  Why do bums like Pillar and Phillips deserve at bats over Colas?  Because they are veterans?  They are bad veterans!  They are already a known quantity of suck.  At least there is some glimmer of hope that Colas could turn into a decent player.

I don’t understand how the Sox run their awful team and I probably never will.

Because they plan on starting Colas in AAA and we need two OFs.  Not saying it makes sense per se, but I fully expect it happen.  Sheets can not be allowed to play the OF unless there are multiple injuries.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because they plan on starting Colas in AAA and we need two OFs.  Not saying it makes sense per se, but I fully expect it happen.  Sheets can not be allowed to play the OF unless there are multiple injuries.

Sheets is pretty much worthless other than as a bad lefty backup 1B that will occasionally run into one.

My point is, what is this strategy even supposed to be?  They will be terrible either way.  Why not see if you can salvage some young players for the future as either starters or bench players by giving them at bats in a lost season?  That way, Getz may not have to waste $3 to $5 million on all of these terrible bench players.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He'll battle it out with Brett Phillips to determine the 3rd, possibly 2nd best outfielder for the 2024 Chicago White Sox roster.

I'm good with this, but please sign Duvall would be cromulent for OD RF plus covering all three OF positions.

Kevin Pillar 2023 fWAR 0.1 (206 PA), Projected 2024 fWAR 0.0 (231 PA).

Keep dreaming. Once Hicks signed with the Angels that was the last shot we had of getting a decent OBP out of a minimum wage guy. Now the Sox have to pay $3M if Pillar makes the team. He sucks. Maybe he can still run well enough and throw well enough at 35 to simulate a decent glove in RF but he has nothing left in his bat except for a few bombs.

Your 2024 White Sox, Last in OBP in baseball, runs scored, wins, largest gap between runs scored and runs allowed, 2 straight 100 loss seasons but 1st in signing negative WAR players for millions of dollars and in your hearts ! Let's hear it for Glove Love !

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sheets is pretty much worthless other than as a bad lefty backup 1B that will occasionally run into one.

My point is, what is this strategy even supposed to be?  They will be terrible either way.  Why not see if you can salvage some young players for the future as either starters or bench players by giving them at bats in a lost season?  That way, Getz may not have to waste $3 to $5 million on all of these terrible bench players.

I don’t disagree, but you shouldn’t spend big if you only need a two month placeholder for Colas.  A lot of these additions are simply buying time.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree, but you shouldn’t spend big if you only need a two month placeholder for Colas.  A lot of these additions are simply buying time.

Should have just let Victor Reyes play and saved the money they keep wasting...especially if they were going to continue punishing Colas for transgressions real and imagined.

• Like 1

Lmao Colas.Theres now a full useless journeyman platoon in his way.

Wtf did this guy DO to this org? He must have pissed Jerry off somehow.

EDIT: Wait I take it back. I somehow didn’t immediately see that this is the end of Sheets in RF. This move is brilliant. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I never said to spend big at all.  My point is, why even spend at all on these guys?  Let Colas prove himself in the majors.  See what Sosa can do.  Sink or swim.  We already know that the majority of the veteran players that Getz acquired suck, so why even waste money, time, and at bats on them?  What exactly are you buying time for?  You are wasting time in a losing season in which you can figure out if your young players are worth a damn.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Ozzie no TLR no Grifol love their veterans...are we back to prioritizing winning that day's game?

This 100% was supposed to be a development/flip anything not nailed down year...

The only discernible philosophy is the latest Expendables somehow get defenders miraculously transforming pitchers into assets for the deadline.

But how likely are any of those newly acquired guys to be even rated as 40 FV prospects?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

My point is, why even spend at all on these guys?  Let Colas prove himself in the majors.  Sink or swim.  We already know that the majority of the veteran players that Getz acquired suck, so why even waste money, time, and at bats on them?

I think they feel he needs more time in AAA, which is probably true.  I believe the whole point of these scrap heap signings is so we don’t have rush prospects with any actual talent like Rick previously did.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's so interesting to create a team identity of old guys with no offensive upside that rely on their reputations as good defenders.

It's just like Kenny, except instead of has-been hitters, they're all has-been defenders.

This team is going to have like a 58 wRC+ next year.

• Paper Bag 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they feel he needs more time in AAA, which is probably true.  I believe the whole point of these scrap heap signings is so we don’t have rush prospects with any actual talent like Rick previously did.

Colas is 25.  Sosa is 24.  There’s a difference between these guys and rushing a Montgomery or Ramos who are much younger.  We already know AAA at bats are no comparison for MLB at bats.  Let these guys sink or swim in the majors.  Every at bat that a Maldonado, DeJong, Pillar, Phillips, etc. gets is a wasted at bat in a non-competitive season.  This team is going nowhere no matter who starts.  You also aren’t getting anything of value at the deadline, even if one of these aged bums has a miraculously good start.  There literally is zero upside to playing these veterans.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's so interesting to create a team identity of old guys with no offensive upside that rely on their reputations as good defenders.

Trying this out as the new marketing slogan.

White Sox Baseball: It's so interesting to create a team identity of old guys with no offensive upside that rely on their reputations as good defenders

• Paper Bag 1