ST Thread

pcq

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

So, Cease is gone. What is our starting rotation?

• Fedde
  • Kopech
  • Soroka
  • Flexen
  • Our unhittable pitcher this spring has been Crochet. I see him getting some three inning starts up to a certain number of innings. 
  • And Nastrini, whom I think has looked great in ST

Really the per

Death, Famine, War, Pestilence, 

1280px-Apocalypse_vasnetsov.jpg

I think they bring in Lorenzen if Jerry can afford to do so, or maybe some other low cost pitcher as well, but can see Crochet starting up here and Kopech perhaps working out of the bullpen to start the season if he doesn't turn things around his final few starts in Spring Training.

Don't see the Sox (or possibly anyone) bringing in Clevinger despite his 2.2 fWAR last season. 

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

It seemed like a "see if you can sneak him through waivers" claim the whole time to me.

Maybe, but he’s neither very young (27) nor are his minor league numbers very good.  And I know I am a broken record with this but why the hell didn’t the Sox claim Canaan Smith-Njigba instead?  A 24 year old lefty corner outfielder with very good minor league numbers.  He also had an .860 OPS this spring with 3 homers and 2 stolen bases.  Brutal decision making by Getz there.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Maybe, but he’s neither very young (27) nor are his minor league numbers very good.  And I know I am a broken record with this but why the hell didn’t the Sox claim Canaan Smith-Njigba instead?  A 24 year old lefty corner outfielder with very good minor league numbers.  He also had an .860 OPS this spring with 3 homers and 2 stolen bases.  Brutal decision making by Getz there.

Yeah, he’d basically be the leading candidate for RF if he were here lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It probably does.  This is big news.  Does this mean Getz is near signing Lorenzen, or is another Sox starter taking the spot?

Sounds like two of the prospects they just got are going to be fast tracked, which is just dumb. Or Crochet will be starting in the bigs on the Kopech plan that worked SO great for him.

4 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Nightengale just mentioned Sox in talks with Clevinger.

Where did you hear this?  Nightengale tweeted earlier today that the Sox were discussing internally whether or not they should bring him back.  Just wondering if this is new news or if you are referencing this tweet…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

They don't need 5 starters first few weeks.

They will, unless you know something about the weather that nobody else does. 

From the pitching perspective, it’s just going to be series to series, and a ton of up and downs from the minors. Baseball is a bad place when it comes to pitching. Jeez, wonder why?

In addition to Lorenzen, I would really like to see if the Sox trying to bring in Syndergaard, Cueto and or Rich Hill.

All could have some upside, and most beyond say Noah gives the team a decent chance to put up 100 + innings, which is the primary concern the Sox are facing at this point with the loss of Cease, the demotion of Kopech, the inning limitations on Crochet, and the unknowns they are facing with Fedde, Soroka and Flexen.

Really don't want the Sox to be forced to rush one or more prospects beyond a couple spot starts because of a lack of depth.

On 3/13/2024 at 10:04 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Death, Famine, War, Pestilence, 

1280px-Apocalypse_vasnetsov.jpg

I think they bring in Lorenzen if Jerry can afford to do so, or maybe some other low cost pitcher as well, but can see Crochet starting up here and Kopech perhaps working out of the bullpen to start the season if he doesn't turn things around his final few starts in Spring Training.

Don't see the Sox (or possibly anyone) bringing in Clevinger despite his 2.2 fWAR last season. 

The perfect video to play before every 2024 Sox home game:

16 hours ago, flavum said:

By my count, the Sox have 50 players in big league camp. Only 16 appeared in a game for the Sox in 2023. 

Assuming Clevinger isn't signed and I'm still around to post, I will post an updated 40 man roster thread grouping players as to how they were acquired for Opening Day, after the final roster decisions have been made.

As of now, over half the players on the 40 man roster are new since Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams were fired August 22, 2023.

• (7) Position Player Acquisitions / Additions
    • Paul DeJong (11/28/24 Free Agent)
    • Zach DeLoach (2/3/24 Trade)
    • Dominic Fletcher (2/3/24 Trade)
    • Nicky Lopez (11/16/23 Trade)
    • Martin Maldonado (1/5/24 Free Agent)
    • Braden Shewmake (11/16/23 Trade)
    • Max Stassi (12/9/23 Trade)
  • (14) Pitcher Acquisitions / Additions
    • Prelander Berroa (2/3/24 Trade)
    • John Brebbia (1/26/24 Free Agent)
    • Josimar Cousin (12/20/23 Promotion to the 40 Man Roster)
    • Shane Drohan (12/6/23 Rule 5 Draft Selection)
    • Jake Eder (11/14/23 Promotion to the 40 Man Roster)
    • Erick Fedde (12/13/23 Free Agent)
    • Chris Flexen (12/30/23 Free Agent)
    • Tim Hill (12/28/23 Free Agent)
    • Bailey Horn (2/27/24 Trade)
    • Jairo Iriarte (3/13/24 Trade)
    • Jared Shuster (11/16/23 Trade)
    • Michael Soroka (11/16/23 Trade)
    • Alex Speas (10/3/23 Waiver Claim)
    • Steve Wilson (3/13/24 Trade)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1