3/4 D-backs @ Sox

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The pitching looks good, only as the written word. I sure hope .429 BA Nicky Lopez is the one who comes north with the team. 

If given the choice I'd probably have Soroka staying healthy and turning into a solid 3rd starter as the nicest "win" of the year. We're so thin on pitching top to bottom just filling in a couple rotation slots with 2-3 WAR starters looks daunting after the deal Cease.

Lopez ain't gonna hit for s%*#, but he'll play a decent middle infield I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If given the choice I'd probably have Soroka staying healthy and turning into a solid 3rd starter as the nicest "win" of the year. We're so thin on pitching top to bottom just filling in a couple rotation slots with 2-3 WAR starters looks daunting after the deal Cease.

If Soroka bounces back and is a solid #3 starter than you can probably kiss his ass goodbye as he will either be traded or let walk to FA, I can't see anyway they give him a contract comparable to what he could get on the open market these days.

Just now, T R U said:

If Soroka bounces back and is a solid #3 starter than you can probably kiss his ass goodbye as he will either be traded or let walk to FA, I can't see anyway they give him a contract comparable to what he could get on the open market these days.

Yep.  Ideally, he breaks out hard and fast before the deadline so they can trade him.

• Like 1

Just now, T R U said:

We're going to have to unless we just want to win 70 games into perpetuity. One thing Getz has to do is impress upon JR that you have to pay for pitching in a contention window.

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thanks for pointing that out. You see, I understand quite well that it would be one of the greatest seasons in Nicky Lopez's life if he hit .250/.300/.625. So when I said I hope the .429 hitting Nicky Lopez is the one who comes north, I meant that, instead of the .180 hitting Nicky Lopez. Nicky Lopez is coming north with the team regardless of what he hits in Spring Training. I was just telling a joke that touches upon dreaming of a player staying at the level of a hot 3 game streak. 

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Thanks for pointing that out. You see, I understand quite well that it would be one of the greatest seasons in Nicky Lopez's life if he hit .250/.300/.625. So when I said I hope the .429 hitting Nicky Lopez is the one who comes north, I meant that, instead of the .180 hitting Nicky Lopez. Nicky Lopez is coming north with the team regardless of what he hits in Spring Training. I was just telling a joke that touches upon dreaming of a player staying at the level of a hot 3 game streak. 

We need an "on the spectrum" tag for some posts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We're going to have to unless we just want to win 70 games into perpetuity. One thing Getz has to do is impress upon JR that you have to pay for pitching in a contention window.

They will just keep kicking the can down the road.  If Soroka is good in the first half, they will trade him for a pitching prospect.  JR enjoys giving pitchers 3+ year deals as much as my dad enjoys a prostate exam.

• Paper Bag 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Given JR's stated history including last August at Getz's press conference, convincing him to pay for pitching may be equal to finding the Holy Grail.

That would be quite an accomplishment. By the way that doesn't mean JR is necessarily wrong given pitchers injury tendencies but the fact is other teams are willing to take those gambles and the Sox are always left behind.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well in the spring of 2005 they actually did televise every game as I recall or at the very least the vast majority of them. I don't remember the reason why they decided to do this for that year and apparently only that year. 

I thought the NHL lockout had something to do with the airing of games, but maybe I'm wrong there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

That's fair. But if I can watch every single one of my 10 year old nephew's games on a live webcast, you'd think a Major League franchise should do the same.

Can't argue with that! 

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Solid win. It was the kind of win the Sox will need to replicate as much as possible, low scoring, some steals, timely hitting, pitching and defense.

With 4 lock down starters and a bevy of options for the 5th behind them that's a great strategy. We'll probably win 92 or so games. Wait, that's not right.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Can't believe this is going to be the bottom 4 of our lineup

It’s just so ugly actually seeing it on paper.

44% of the lineup is putrid.  It’s even worse if Vaughn doesn’t finally have a breakout season, and is just his usual mediocre self.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Can't believe this is going to be the bottom 4 of our lineup

I wish Stassi would start over Maldonado. Fletcher's going to get the larger platoon slice, so DeJong and Lopez are the weakest links.