3/23/24 Game Thread: Seattle at Chicago White Sox 3:05PM CDT; Radio: ESPN1000 & TV: No Broadcast

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If we're not? Well, crow then. There's only so many strawmen people can knock down in the meantime.

Don't worry. I'm sure if the Sox are at .500 in July, the mopes will just move the goalposts to keep bitching incoherently. It's the same game on every sports board. Mopes are gonna mope. 

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@Dick Allenis not a guy that has a history of puffing up the Sox. For some reason, that seams to be your reason to exist here. Like just calm down a bit it's only March 23rd. By July, there's like an 80% chance we're 10 under and your account will be deactivated. 

If we're not? Well, crow then. There's only so many strawmen people can knock down in the meantime.

Can I take the under on July?  Once most of Getz’s acquisitions are DFA candidates by July that he keeps hyping up as having promise, he won’t be posting much at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Don't worry. I'm sure if the Sox are at .500 in July, the mopes will just move the goalposts to keep bitching incoherently. It's the same game on every sports board. Mopes are gonna mope. 

Bro the mopes you're yelling at have been living and dying with this franchise for decades. We know what the Sox' median season is. We know what the spreadsheets say. Like, focus on some positives sure (even I have) but just don't yell at people not blowing sunshine and rainbows before the season even starts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Can I take the under on July?  Once most of Getz’s acquisitions are DFA candidates by July that he keeps hyping up as having promise, he won’t be posting much at all.

Dude, I've been discussing the White Sox online for a good 25 years. If a younger Mark Liptak couldn't break my spirit, I doubt a bunch of low-grade whiners could, either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Bro the mopes you're yelling at have been living and dying with this franchise for decades. We know what the Sox' median season is. We know what the spreadsheets say. Like, focus on some positives sure (even I have) but just don't yell at people not blowing sunshine and rainbows before the season even starts. 

I pretty much leave them alone until I post something innocuous, like in this string, and it infuriates somebody enough to start spouting nonsense. I've been a Sox fan since 1971. Don't worry about me. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Dude, I've been discussing the White Sox online for a good 25 years. If a younger Mark Liptak couldn't break my spirit, I doubt a bunch of low-grade whiners could, either. 

Why do they have to be “whiners”?  Does anyone call you a “stupidly over-optimistic homer”?  I get the impression that @Lip Man 1 is a long lifetime Sox fan who has lived through Jerry’s entire awful reign and longer.  The same owner who has done nothing with the Bulls since Jordan left because it’s a money maker.  Perhaps you should listen and learn from your elders.  But do what you want.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@Dick Allenis not a guy that has a history of puffing up the Sox. For some reason, that seams to be your reason to exist here. Like just calm down a bit it's only March 23rd. By July, there's like an 80% chance we're 10 under and your account will be deactivated. 

Getz and Pedro might be offered mid-season extensions if the White Sox are within ten games of .500 at any point in July.

High Water July Record Hahn Era:

• -12 (July 2, 2023: 37-49)
  • +1 (July 31, 2022: 51-50)
  • +21 (July 20, 2021: 58-37)
  • 0 (July 25, 2020: 1-1)
  • -1 (July 3, 2019: 29-30)
  • -25 (July 3, 2018: 30-55)
  • -8 (July 3, 2017: 37-45)
  • +3 (July 9, 2016: 45-42)
  • -1 (July 29, 2015: 49-50)
  • -3 (July 31, 2014: 53-56)
  • -14 (July 4, 2013: 34-48)
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Paper Bag 2

30 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I’m sorry, the card says Moops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I had season tickets for 30 years. I hope they win every game they play. Last year when they hired Pedro, I was fired up. He seemed perfect. Turns out the guy was a fraud. He is awful. Then JR finally comes to his senses and fires Hahn and KW. He doesn’t search for a perfect replacement, he hired Getz because he said Getz knew the organization and he couldn’t waste a year. I liked his first trade. It’s somewhere on this site if you don’t believe it, but after that, and until the Cease trade, which again, I thought was pretty good, I gave a B grade, all he acquired was and is crap. This will be a wasted year. They are terrible. Not even trying.

Call me a whiner. I consider myself an educated consumer. I was sold a bill of goods. I won’t be fooled again. The organization is full of bullshitters, and it starts at the top.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I had season tickets for 30 years. I hope they win every game they play. Last year when they hired Pedro, I was fired up. He seemed perfect. Turns out the guy was a fraud. He is awful. Then JR finally comes to his senses and fires Hahn and KW. He doesn’t search for a perfect replacement, he hired Getz because he said Getz knew the organization and he couldn’t waste a year. I liked his first trade. It’s somewhere on this site if you don’t believe it, but after that, and until the Cease trade, which again, I thought was pretty good, I gave a B grade, all he acquired was and is crap. This will be a wasted year. They are terrible. Not even trying.

Call me a whiner. I consider myself an educated consumer. I was sold a bill of goods. I won’t be fooled again. The organization is full of bullshitters, and it starts at the top.

Well said.  I am fine with the Cease trade but not with Jerry pocketing $8 million.  The fact is that Jerry really doesn’t want to compete unless it’s on his terms and Getz is simply doing his bidding due to his undeserved promotion.  It’s a vicious cycle of suckitude and “Yes” men.  And GriFAIL is just the whip cream on top of this entire $h1t sundae.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well said.  I am fine with the Cease trade but not with Jerry pocketing $8 million.  The fact is that Jerry really doesn’t want to compete unless it’s on his terms and Getz is simply doing his bidding due to his undeserved promotion.  It’s a vicious cycle of suckitude and “Yes” men.  And GriFAIL is just the whip cream on top of this entire $h1t sundae.

Reading that Getz said that they wouldn’t have been able to afford extending Cease was so pathetic 

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Only an unprecedented deal for Robert can sort of save them...the decade-later equivalent of the Eaton for Gio Lopez Dunning trade.

Ofc not only do they need 2-3x as much pitching as other teams due to JR's pocketbook...they pretty much have to replace every single position player and start off with just one close to sure thing in Montgomery.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Only an unprecedented deal for Robert can sort of save them...the decade-later equivalent of the Eaton for Gio Lopez Dunning trade.

Ofc not only do they need 2-3x as much pitching as other teams due to JR's pocketbook...they pretty much have to replace every single position player and start off with just one close to sure thing in Montgomery.

Gotta love how the only way to “save” a JR-owned team is by trading their best players, rather than resigning them.  JR is an embarrassment to competition.  It’s too bad he didn’t just stick to real estate.  Having an owner that just wants to make money rather than win is the worse possible scenario as a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Reading that Getz said that they wouldn’t have been able to afford extending Cease was so pathetic 

WTF. Can you provide a link?

Sounds like this may be the last over $100M payroll season until possibly 2029 with that line of thinking.

54 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Last year when they hired Pedro, I was fired up. He seemed perfect. Turns out the guy was a fraud. He is awful. Then JR finally comes to his senses and fires Hahn and KW. He doesn’t search for a perfect replacement, he hired Getz because he said Getz knew the organization and he couldn’t waste a year. I liked his first trade. It’s somewhere on this site if you don’t believe it, but after that, and until the Cease trade, which again, I thought was pretty good, I gave a B grade, all he acquired was and is crap. This will be a wasted year. They are terrible. Not even trying.

I was optimistic about the Pedro hire. I now think he's a demotivating idiot, now. I was disappointed by the Getz hire. But Grifol's the manager, and Getz is the GM. Sorry to be throwing around "mopes". I don't think I'm "overly" optimistic. I think I'm positive about things I should be positive about. I'm not going to rail on about the things I didn't like. 

I don't follow baseball to get pissed off. I get why everyone's so done with Reinsdorf, and I don't believe I'm sticking up for him. But he's a known entity. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Wow, thanks. I would have understood if Cease told Getz he wants to test the open market. Not sure what if anything was discussed regarding a possible extension with that quote.

Would be really sad if the Sox don’t extend Robert, and Oakland signs a nine figure contract (likely after a move to wherever) before the White Sox.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s pretty frustrating we kept the same 101 loss manager and hire an unqualified yes man to not “waste a year” and they are in fact, wasting this year anyways. Like wtf. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why do they have to be “whiners”?  Does anyone call you a “stupidly over-optimistic homer”?  I get the impression that @Lip Man 1 is a long lifetime Sox fan who has lived through Jerry’s entire awful reign and longer.  The same owner who has done nothing with the Bulls since Jordan left because it’s a money maker.  Perhaps you should listen and learn from your elders.  But do what you want.

My earliest personal memories of the Sox go back to 1960 when I was five years old. This season will be my 64th as a fan and Sox historian.

I hope to outlive current ownership and see better days for this franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Wow, thanks. I would have understood if Cease told Getz he wants to test the open market. Not sure what if anything was discussed regarding a possible extension with that quote.

Would be really sad if the Sox don’t extend Robert, and Oakland signs a nine figure contract (likely after a move to wherever) before the White Sox.

Let’s just remember that Cease’s agent is Scott Boras, so an extension isn’t going to involve any massive discount.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Let’s just remember that Cease’s agent is Scott Boras, so an extension isn’t going to involve any massive discount.

And with Ceases health, he is probably looking at a ton of years too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T R U said:

It’s pretty frustrating we kept the same 101 loss manager and hire an unqualified yes man to not “waste a year” and they are in fact, wasting this year anyways. Like wtf. 

Getz knows who butters his bread.  He’s JR’s new loyal mouthpiece servant.

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sure, but the Sox still had two years of control on Cease and didn’t even get close to discussing what the price would be.  So one could reasonably expect that this will happen with any other good player in the future, under the current ownership.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Think there will need to be a new owner for any chance, even if he didn't switch to Boras.

Amounts below not adjusted for the pro-rated pay players received in 2020, or for players traded before their contract expired.

Source Cot's Contracts

Top Five External White Sox Guaranteed Contracts:

1. $75M Andrew Benintendi (2023-2027) TBD
  2. $73M Yasmani Grandal (2020-2023) Stayed the duration.
  3. $56M Adam Dunn (2011-2014) Traded to Oakland 8/31/14
  4. $55M Dallas Keuchel (2020-2022) Released 5/30/22
  5. $55M Albert Belle (1997-2001) Granted Free Agency 10/27/98 after second full season.

Top Five White Sox Extensions or Internal Free Agent Signings:

1. $70M Yoan Moncada (2020-2024 + 2025 Club Option ($20M > buyout))
  2. $60M Paul Konerko (2006-2010)
  3. $50M Jose Abreu (2020-2022)
  4. $50M Luis Robert (2020-2025) + 2026 Club Option ($18M > Buyout). 2026 Guaranteed if 2025 Club Option exercised (Buyout $2M; Contract $20M)
  5. $43M Eloy Jimenez (2019-2024 + 2025 Club Option ($13.5M > Buyout). 2026 Guaranteed if 2025 Club Option exercised (Buyout $3M; Contract $18.5M)