Looking forward to 2025.....

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There's no way this team is competitive in 2025 even with new ownership. It will take at least several years to clean up and clean out the rot, incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness that permeates this franchise from top to bottom.

Hiring Getz didn't really change or start anything new. 

Reinsdorf dead or selling is the only way this page gets turned. 

• Like 1

I can keep an open mind about Getz, but that does not mean I am optimistic. I have been a fan for a long time, and I have never seen it this bad. JR sees the new stadium as his legacy. Even you are a fan who wants the new stadium, it is still a good 5-6 years away. So much has to happen to turn things around, but the team has a tone-deaf owner. More losing is on the way.

• Like 1

Just now, Highland said:

I can keep an open mind about Getz, but that does not mean I am optimistic. I have been a fan for a long time, and I have never seen it this bad. JR sees the new stadium as his legacy. Even you are a fan who wants the new stadium, it is still a good 5-6 years away. So much has to happen to turn things around, but the team has a tone-deaf owner. More losing is on the way.

A strange thing, this man believes a building (which eventually will be ditched) is a greater legacy for him than on field success 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

A strange thing, this man believes a building (which eventually will be ditched) is a greater legacy for him than on field success 

Because he is more concerned about the franchise's financial standing than the actual standings.

2025 will be more of the same with a smattering of prospects mixed in.  Who do you think Getz is going to sign to fill all the spots of the exiting one-year garbage veterans?  More garbage veterans!  It’s the Sox way in free agency.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

2025 will be more of the same with a smattering of prospects mixed in.  Who do you think Getz is going to sign to fill all the spots of the exiting one-year garbage veterans?  More garbage veterans!  It’s the Sox way in free agency.

We should start to see some arrivals in 2024.  Montgomery, barring an injury, is pretty close to a lock to make his debut this season. Ramos and Quero aren't too far away either.

I would guess we see a couple of more of the starting pitchers out of Thorpe, Iriarte, and Eder.  There is definitely room for a breakout to get here out of the block of AA starters as well.

Obviously out of a group that big some will backtrack, but I feel like we start to see the first wave of kids start to replace some of the placeholders.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

We should start to see some arrivals in 2024.  Montgomery, barring an injury, is pretty close to a lock to make his debut this season. Ramos and Quero aren't too far away either.

I would guess we see a couple of more of the starting pitchers out of Thorpe, Iriarte, and Eder.  There is definitely room for a breakout to get here out of the block of AA starters as well.

Obviously out of a group that big some will backtrack, but I feel like we start to see the first wave of kids start to replace some of the placeholders.

Don't forget Nastrini who will make his MLB debut this month. 

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

While it might not apply to all of them - Colson being up this year, Thorpe being up this year, Nastrini being up now - these guys are definitely being moved aggressively enough that some serious struggles might be expected at the big league level.

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Pretty awesome that we get P Grif to usher these kids into the majors.  Couldn’t have asked for a better guy to handle it 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If we're really strategic about it - clearing out Moncada, Eloy, and most of the other money the White Sox have on the books will leave them some room to spend this offseason.

One thing we have seen recently is that, if you're patient, some of the better FAs may be available at the end of the free agent period on short term, low money deals. Matt Chapman had a helluva weekend for San Francisco, as an example. 

If they got tolerable seasons out of a couple of their kids, and they stole a handful of 3 win players on opt-out contracts at the end of free agency, could they at least push themselves into the AL Central discussion? With how the free agent market worked this year, it seems plausible. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If we're really strategic about it - clearing out Moncada, Eloy, and most of the other money the White Sox have on the books will leave them some room to spend this offseason.

One thing we have seen recently is that, if you're patient, some of the better FAs may be available at the end of the free agent period on short term, low money deals. Matt Chapman had a helluva weekend for San Francisco, as an example. 

If they got tolerable seasons out of a couple of their kids, and they stole a handful of 3 win players on opt-out contracts at the end of free agency, could they at least push themselves into the AL Central discussion? With how the free agent market worked this year, it seems plausible. 

My educated guess is the payroll plummets once again this offseason 

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Even if that happens, they will have plenty of money to spend. They have about $50 million guaranteed counting Robert, Benintendi, Fedde, and a handful of buyouts including Eloy's at $3 million and Moncada's at $5 million. Filling out the rest of the roster with minimum salary guys would leave them a $65 million payroll, and that's without considering whether Robert, Fedde, or Benintendi could be moved during 2024. They could spend $50 million and still have a serious payroll cut.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

100%.  We are probably going to be to the point where we aren't losing money this season, but with drops projected for 2024 and 2025, I don't see them spending again either without something big changing.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Even if that happens, they will have plenty of money to spend. They have about $50 million guaranteed counting Robert, Benintendi, Fedde, and a handful of buyouts including Eloy's at $3 million and Moncada's at $5 million. Filling out the rest of the roster with minimum salary guys would leave them a $65 million payroll, and that's without considering whether Robert, Fedde, or Benintendi could be moved during 2024. They could spend $50 million and still have a serious payroll cut.

This sounds an awful lot like 2017-2019 projections that we all figured would definitely be spent wisely 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This sounds an awful lot like 2017-2019 projections that we all figured would definitely be spent wisely 

Exactly, and then the Sox end up with the second and third tier free agents that you want to DFA after their first or second season (Keuchel, Benintendi, Eaton, Lynn (after extension), etc.).  These guys are a long fall from Machado and Harper.

I will never believe the Sox will spend the money they have freed up correctly.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

When they finished paying off the penalties for Robert's signing after 2018, they looked to have a good amount of money to spend, and they did spend it. They added something like $40 million to the 2019 payroll along with commitments for 2020, followed by two larger contracts in 2020.

Because Rick Hahn was the GM, half of that money was spent on over-the-hill relievers. At least as of now, I don't feel compelled to try to hang Getz with what was clearly a problem with Hahn's strategy.

They did so in the Rick Hahn way, but they had money to spend and they did spend it. 

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is certainly a path to having a competent pitching staff by next year.  That requires Crochet staying healthy, holding onto Fedde, and a few young arms taking a leap (such as Nastrini), but it’s definitely within the realm of possible.

Creating a competent offense by next year will prove challenging.  Jerry would need to add a couple major bats for it to be possible at all.  For example, let’s say Jerry goes out and adds Peter Alonso for 1B and Gleyber Torres for 2B.  Is this lineup good enough to make some noise in the AL Central next year?

1. Benintendi, LF*
  2. Torres, 2B
  3. Robert, CF
  4. Alonso, 1B
  5. Montgomery, SS*
  6. Vaughn, DH
  7. Fletcher, RF*
  8. Ramos, 3B
  9. Quero, CA#

Still a massive amount of question marks and it still requires two free agent signings that would be financially possible but unprecedented from a White Sox commitment standpoint.  Honestly, the lack of high end positional talent in the system is immensely concerning and I’m not sure what Getz plans to do to help address it unless Jerry will finally sign some large checks.  Montgomery alone isn’t enough to get the impact talent to where it needs to be.

I would bet good money on Colas over Fletcher as the 2025 starting right fielder. I think I’d even bet on that by the end of July of this year 

7 hours ago, Highland said:

Y'all are missing the genius of Jerry's plan.  He wants public funding for his new stadium.  The way this team looks, he is going to get it from Chicago!  At this rate, Chicago will fund his stadium in Nashville !!!!  Brilliant!!