Jose Rodriguez Traded to Phillies for $

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not making excuses. I believe Maldonado is a sop to Grifol, giving him a "clubhouse leader". Clevinger parties with a Sox owner. He went out and signed Maldonado. But that's how I reason away Maldonado, not that everyone thought he would be an All-Star, but Grifol couldn't be fired, so give him some help guiding the clubhouse. 

Getz signed both players because they were relatively cheap and JR would approve their salaries.  Getz thought Maldonado could still play defense and Clevinger is decent starter for $3 million bucks.  The end.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  I think people are greatly overvaluing what a good defense is going to do for the value of these names.  They are not going to bring back much in the way of prospects regardless.

For most of those guys, they probably get back a bottom top 30 prospect that they eventually DFA down the road.   Only Fedde, Kopech and Wilson strike me as ones that could possibly raise their value.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Are the White Sox paying you now? This is just ridiculous 

First of all, no. Second of all, f*** you dude. 

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

How does being able to understand why a move was made, and not becoming irrationally angry over it translate to being Chris Getz, or working for the White Sox? 

9-10 worse teams took a pass on him. A bottom third minor league system took him, and he's their 28th best prospect on MLB.com. The Sox already have better options on the 40-man, and better options right behind him who are progressing in ways that Popeye wasn't. 

Irrational is easy. This thread is a dumpster fire right now. 

1 hour ago, 4OCS said:

You wouldn’t have needed Rodriguez to perform at mlb level. Have Sosa perform at mlb level and get rid of Dejong or somebody, with Rodriguez at AAA. Or same with Speas. Cut Shaw and bring up one of the other AAAA pitchers at Charlotte

Again though, you’d need the roster for one of those pitchers. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I think there's some situations where you might prefer the 30-something reliever to the 22-year-old infield prospect, ie if you're planning on competing immediately and you have a competent second baseman somewhere in the system; but the Sox aren't in that situation (the Phillies are in a position to win and are rostering him though, take that for what its worth). In fact the Sox haven't had a second baseman in over a decade and s%*#-canned the one who has blazed through the minors and hit 21 homers last year. Popeye was making it look like the Sox could actually develop a Dominican teenager and so it just strange to see them completely give up on him as soon as he starts showing flashes as a major leaguer. Does Dominic Leone help the Sox win games this year more than Popeye would help the team win down the line? I don't think so and I don't think it matters because the team is a dumpster fire anyway because it doesn't have any position players.

Popeye didn't show flashes as a major leaguer. They don't need Leone to "win" games this year. They need guys like Leone to get through games with everybody alive. Unless you actually want a 33-130 team that loses every game by double digits. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sox couldn’t afford you, duh.  Also, you probably eat on camera.

Edited by fathom

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Popeye didn't show flashes as a major leaguer. They don't need Leone to "win" games this year. They need guys like Leone to get through games with everybody alive. Unless you actually want a 33-130 team that loses every game by double digits. 

They are on pace for a worse record than that already, without Popeye on the roster.  But Leone is here…

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz signed both players because they were relatively cheap and JR would approve their salaries.  Getz thought Maldonado could still play defense and Clevinger is decent starter for $3 million bucks.  The end.

There were cheaper catchers available. You don't need to argue with every single sentence. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  I think people are greatly overvaluing what a good defense is going to do for the value of these names.  They are not going to bring back much in the way of prospects regardless.

I’d be willing to make a large bet that a few Sox pitchers traded this summer bring back a handful of useful prospects. Hell, Kelly and Lynn’s suck ass brought back some last July. And they were expensive too. Today alone we hear that two aces in Strider and Beiber are down with TJS. Good pitchers are dropping like flies early in the season more than I’ve ever seen before. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

There were cheaper catchers available. You don't need to argue with every single sentence. 

Sure there were.  Getz also acquired Stassi, whom the Braves are paying for.  I’m not arguing every single sentence.  $4.25 million for Maldonado and $3 million for Clevinger.  Both were cheaper signings by today’s standards, were they not?

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s definitely not major league ready, but I’d rather give him one last chance in the upper minors before cutting bait.  There is plenty of fat to trim on this 40 man roster.  For example, why do we need both Pillar & Grossman?  Why did we trade for DeLoach if we won’t even give him a shot when injury opens up an opportunity for him?  Save that spot for one of the garbage arms that’s needed to fill innings and keep someone like Popeye or Speas.

There really isn't "plenty of fat". They're now down to 2 AAA relievers. Shuster could be cut. That's about it. They don't have the time or the room to keep giving a guy who is regressing "one last chance". They really do have a dynamic roster at AA, and Popeye had to s%*# or get off the pot. Right now, they have 4 OF on the 26-man. I don't know what happens when Eloy and Robert come back. 

And I'm sure DeLoach didn't suddenly become "ready" after 7 AAA games. Seriously, if they cut Bryan Ramos, or Jake Eder, I would wonder WTF was going on. It's a AA utility infielder. Hahn should probably not have rostered him when he did. 

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sure there were.  Getz also acquired Stassi, whom the Braves are paying for.  I’m not arguing every single sentence.  $4.25 million for Maldonado and $3 million for Clevinger.  Both were cheaper signings by today’s standards, were they not?

Those are cheap salaries. Getz is doing the defense and vet catcher to pump up his pitchers. I also think Maldonado was a character guy that Grifol wanted. Both can be true. 

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’d be willing to make a large bet that a few Sox pitchers traded this summer bring back a handful of useful prospects. Hell, Kelly and Lynn’s suck ass brought back some last July. And they were expensive too. Today alone we hear that two aces in Strider and Beiber are down with TJS. Good pitchers are dropping like flies early in the season more than I’ve ever seen before.

That is the thing. If Soroka looks solid by the deadline, he's a dude. Brebbia, Knebel, maybe Eloy if he returns and rakes. I don't see a lot that will be dealt. Maybe if DeJong keeps the power going, he's dealt to be somebody's utility guy. Lopez. 

Clevinger won't be dealt. Flexen may not make it til the deadline. I think they'd hold onto Fedde and Kopech. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That is the thing. If Soroka looks solid by the deadline, he's a dude. Brebbia, Knebel, maybe Eloy if he returns and rakes. I don't see a lot that will be dealt. Maybe if DeJong keeps the power going, he's dealt to be somebody's utility guy. Lopez. 

Clevinger won't be dealt. Flexen may not make it til the deadline. I think they'd hold onto Fedde and Kopech. 

I don’t think any of the position players are tradable for anything useful. Then again, I don’t think they could have signed any last offseason that were. Their biggest value is in providing a strong defense for the pitching staff. I think Fedde will be their biggest trade chip this July unless they decide to move Crochet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Thus far he has a 12 ERA so I’m not sure he’s helping much in that regard. Popeye’s trajectory almost certainly puts him on pace for the major leagues. He crushed rookie league as an 18-year-old, A* as a 20-year-old, then finally figured out AA at 22. He’s not ready yet but I don’t think there’s any expectation that he would be until 2026 at the earliest. It’s absurd that he was on the 40-man roster to begin with, I suppose when they were shuffling him around between charlotte and Chicago for a week last season for no reason. Or was that Sosa?   

Roster mismanagement for sure but I wouldn’t compound that by trashing prospects for nothing. Also of the opinion that major league teams only need 7 out of the bullpen and would benefit from an extra bat, so Leone’s slot could literally be replaced by star pitcher Danny Mendick and the team would be no worse off for it. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t think any of the position players are tradable for anything useful. Then again, I don’t think they could have signed any last offseason that were. Their biggest value is in providing a strong defense for the pitching staff. I think Fedde will be their biggest trade chip this July unless they decide to move Crochet.

There were no position player free agents that the Sox could’ve signed that would’ve been better trade candidates than who Getz acquired in the offseason?  None?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Looking at MLB.com we have 9 guys currently on the 40 man as pitchers that are currently not in Chicago.  Seems like we don't need 9 guys on the shuttle squad. I don't know why you wouldn't try and just move one of them rather than DFA literally any position player prospect.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You need guys like Leone to have a 130 loss team and not vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There were no position player free agents that the Sox could’ve signed that would’ve been better trade candidates than who Getz acquired in the offseason?  None?

Nope. Not with the budgetary constraints he was under. What useful players were available for less than $5M?

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

For most of those guys, they probably get back a bottom top 30 prospect that they eventually DFA down the road.   Only Fedde, Kopech and Wilson strike me as ones that could possibly raise their value.  

So you’re saying we can hope to get back a Jose Rodriguez type prospect for some of these relievers?  🤣

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah disagree with James all you want. Implying he's paid is ridiculous.