Is it wrong to want the Sox to embarrass themselves?

reiks12

Im finding myself wanting the Sox to lose in embarrassing fashion day in and day out. I would be even happier if they break some records along the way. Worst record is still on the table, the shutout record, worst OPS record, etc..

I consider myself a diehard fan, but what kind of fan wants their team to fail miserably? We can only draft 10th next year so why am i feeling this way? I dont quite know what to think anymore. 

does anyone else feel this way?

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

I you are a cub fan go ahead. Nothing positive comes from losing...nothing. You break the spirit of the players and the fans and diminish the franchise in every way imaginable.  That is why I don't trust or respect the opinions of those who relish in WSox losses.

• Haha 7
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 2

5 minutes ago, tray said:

I you are a cub fan go ahead. Nothing positive comes from losing...nothing. You break the spirit of the players and the fans and diminish the franchise in every way imaginable.  That is why I don't trust or respect the opinions of those who relish in WSox losses.

Your Cubs fan obsession is disturbing and ridiculous.  Cubs fans aren’t the reason this White Sox team is historically bad.  Jerry Reinsdorf is the reason.  At least place your hate on the correct target.  This franchise is already diminished due to its owner and is the laughingstock of baseball.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Your Cubs fan obsession is disturbing and ridiculous.  Cubs fans aren’t the reason this White Sox team is historically bad.  Jerry Reinsdorf is the reason.  At least place your hate on the correct target.

I agree. JR has run this team into the ground. The spirit of the fans is already broken. He stopped caring a long time ago if he ever cared in the first place. I don't relish losses; I just don't expect wins. I've been a fan for so long, and I have never the franchise in this bad a shape. JR should be the one embarrassed, but he isn't.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

12 minutes ago, tray said:

lmfao

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, tray said:

Stop trying to shame people, especially after your meltdowns on the stadium situation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm still in the camp that firing Hahn/Williams earned enough good will to give Getz some time. There are young players on this team worth rooting for. The pitching situation seems genuinely good and a handful of position players could be mainstays for a long time. Chances are that I'm watching more minor league ball than the White Sox this year though. 

The "good will" is lost if they don't spend any money next year to improve the team. I expected a punt season and so it is. Even if the team on the field is worse than I thought it would be, I had no expectations except for individual players' progress. But there's no reason that next year should be and there are real opportunities to add useful non-superstar free agents at positions of need, unlike this past free agency cycle. My hope is that the money not spent this year will be spent next year and if that hope isn't realized, I'm probably in the same position as you "f*** all these guys, burn it down".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Your Cubs fan obsession is disturbing and ridiculous.  Cubs fans aren’t the reason this White Sox team is historically bad.  Jerry Reinsdorf is the reason.  At least place your hate on the correct target.  This franchise is already diminished due to its owner and is the laughingstock of baseball.

Also interesting that a fan rooting against them breaks their spirit but a 2-12 record does not?

• Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Im finding myself wanting the Sox to lose in embarrassing fashion day in and day out. I would be even happier if they break some records along the way. Worst record is still on the table, the shutout record, worst OPS record, etc..

I consider myself a diehard fan, but what kind of fan wants their team to fail miserably? We can only draft 10th next year so why am i feeling this way? I dont quite know what to think anymore. 

does anyone else feel this way?

I can't explain it either but I feel as you do. This can't be healthy. I prolly need to divorce myself completely from the team. I won't watch it but I still follow the box scores and highlights.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nrockway said:

I'm still in the camp that firing Hahn/Williams earned enough good will to give Getz some time. There are young players on this team worth rooting for. The pitching situation seems genuinely good and a handful of position players could be mainstays for a long time. Chances are that I'm watching more minor league ball than the White Sox this year though. 

The "good will" is lost if they don't spend any money next year to improve the team. I expected a punt season and so it is. Even if the team on the field is worse than I thought it would be, I had no expectations except for individual players' progress. But there's no reason that next year should be and there are real opportunities to add useful non-superstar free agents at positions of need, unlike this past free agency cycle. My hope is that the money not spent this year will be spent next year and if that hope isn't realized, I'm probably in the same position as you "f*** all these guys, burn it down".

When is the last time Jerry spent significantly higher coming off a last place finish with markedly decreased attendance...let's say down 25-30%???

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When is the last time Jerry spent significantly higher coming off a last place finish with markedly decreased attendance...let's say down 25-30%???

I don't know how it relates to attendance numbers specifically, but there have certainly been periods of contraction and spending in this team's recent history.  With Moncada and possibly Eloy off the books, there's literally no excuse to not sign Adames or Kim or whoever. Which is my point, if there isn't any movement next year on that front, then I'll probably be actually disillusioned.

I don't actually think attendance is that relevant, if anything the Sox might want to follow in the Royals footsteps and drum up public support for a new ballpark by producing a good team. 

soxpayrolls2008-2015.PNG

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I don't know how it relates to attendance numbers specifically, but there have certainly been periods of contraction and spending in this team's recent history.  With Moncada and possibly Eloy off the books, there's literally no excuse to not sign Adames or Kim or whoever. Which is my point, if there isn't any movement next year on that front, then I'll probably be actually disillusioned.

I don't actually think attendance is that relevant, if anything the Sox might want to follow in the Royals footsteps and drum up public support for a new ballpark by producing a good team. 

soxpayrolls2008-2015.PNG

The Royals stadium referendum got its ass kicked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nrockway said:

soxpayrolls2008-2015.PNG

Assuming from this strategy you're already planning on Montgomery moving over to third?

I guess I am not seeing how overpaying for a non-star SS is really going to move the meter...you certainly don't want to pay for past production for players nearing their down sides, yet we are already trying to clear out Robert with with 3 1/2 years remaining on his deal simultaneously.

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Royals stadium referendum got its ass kicked.

And that was with it already attached to the most successful and most popular NFL franchise in recent memory.

Kansas Citizens love their Chiefs...you have to live there to actually understand it.

I've been a fan for 63 seasons now. I hope they set the all-time record for worst single season in the modern era.

Ownership and the front office deserve nothing less then complete utter scorn and derision. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, nrockway said:

soxpayrolls2008-2015.PNG

You're right, except now this organization would have to drastically overpay to get a guy to willingly choose to sign here - something they've never ever been able to do. Adams and Kim are both going to have big markets and thus the Sox will be left standing with their thumbs up their ass if by some miracle they actually did decide to go after a big name. No way any FA worth a damn is gonna want to come here.