Is Chris Getz revamping the org?

Quin

We've been told that Chris Getz is revamping the org top-to-bottom, so I decided to check it out.

Remember, Jerry said that only Chris could do this without taking a year, hence his hiring.

My takeaway: Most of the baseball operations staff remains besides obvious names like KW Jr. and Haber. Big names brought in were Barfield, Wong, Bannister, Watson, and I guess Sizemore.

Outside of Nicky Delmonico, the Barons staff has had the most turnover. 

• Haha 1

I'm not sure he's revamping the organization, but I'm very impressed with the creativity of the Cease trade. Thorpe's floor is a 3, Iriarte's ceiling is a solid 2, Wilson can be flipped for a top 10 and Zavala has incredible tools. Considering Cease was coming off a down year, that trade is amazing.

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not sure he's revamping the organization, but I'm very impressed with the creativity of the Cease trade. Thorpe's floor is a 3, Iriarte's ceiling is a solid 2, Wilson can be flipped for a top 10 and Zavala has incredible tools. Considering Cease was coming off a down year, that trade is amazing.

He has been very good through 4 starts. 22.2 IP, 1.99 ERA, 0.93 WHIP. I like this trade more than I did initially but I wonder what we could've gotten if we waited.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nrockway said:

He has been very good through 4 starts. 22.2 IP, 1.99 ERA, 0.93 WHIP. I like this trade more than I did initially but I wonder what we could've gotten if we waited.

I think if we learned anything about Getz so far is that he isn't willing to let things happen.  He seems very panicky.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Thorpe's floor is "not a major leaguer." That's everyone's floor.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The only way Thorpe doesn't end up a solid major league starter is a serious injury.

With his current career trajectory, he'll almost certainly make the majors.

But also, no. All you have to do is look at the recent White Sox rosters  to see that no prospect - even "safe" ones - is immune from busting.

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

But also, no. All you have to do is look at the recent White Sox rosters  to see that no prospect - even "safe" ones - is immune from busting.

What other starters have we had like him? He's not Alec Hansen. He has a very easy, repeatable 2 pitch mix. I can't think of another similar Sox prospect.

57 minutes ago, Quin said:

It’s like people have memory holed the last 6-7 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

What other starters have we had like him? He's not Alec Hansen. He has a very easy, repeatable 2 pitch mix. I can't think of another similar Sox prospect.

Vaughn (not a pitcher, but damn, look at this)

Vaughn keeps things simple at the plate, allowing his natural hitting ability and natural power to take over rather than trying to do too much. He has a pretty right-handed swing with no holes as well as considerable bat speed and strength. With his all-fields approach and refusal to chase pitches out of the strike zone, he projects as a .300 hitter with 30 homers and 80 walks on an annual basis.

Most of Vaughn's value will come from his bat, but his bat will provide plenty of value. Though he worked out at third base for some teams before the Draft, he's limited to first base. He's a below-average runner, but he moves well enough around the bag and has an arm that ran fastballs into the low 90s when he pitched early in his college career.

Stiever

Stiever attracted little scouting or recruiting attention as a Wisconsin high schooler, but he developed into Indiana's best pitching prospect since Eric Arnett went in 2009's first round. He led the Big Ten Conference with 97 strikeouts in 100 1/3 innings as a junior in 2018, though a poor final outing for the Hoosiers and some minor physical concerns dropped him to the White Sox in the fifth round. He quickly developed into Chicago's best healthy pitching prospect during his first full season as a pro.

Stiever operates with a 92-96 mph fastball, topping out at 98 and enhancing his velocity with run and sink as well as downhill angle that he creates with a high three-quarters arm slot. He has a second plus pitch in his upper-70s spike curveball, which he controls better than most pitchers do. He can turn his curve into a harder slider when he wants and is gaining feel for his changeup as he uses it more often.

An all-state wide receiver and defensive back in high school, Stiever translates his athleticism to the mound. He repeats his delivery well and provides consistent strikes, averaging just 1.7 walks per nine innings last year. A tough competitor, he's moving faster than expected and could become a mid-rotation starter.

Brent Honeywell - Yes, he had an injury, but still, look at this glowing report

An under-the-radar prospect when the Rays selected him with the No. 72 overall pick in the 2014 Draft out of Walters State CC, Honeywell has been anything but that in the pro ranks. After finishing his second full season in Double-A, Honeywell returned to the level to open '17 and received a quick bump up to the Triple-A International League, where he helped pitch Durham to a Governor's Cup title. Along the way, Honeywell was named the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game Most Valuable Player as the U.S. Team's starting pitcher. Entering '18 on the cusp of the Majors, Honeywell's chances of making his big league debut were dashed when he sustained a right elbow injury in February that required season-ending Tommy John surgery. His rehab process was going smoothly and Honeywell was nearing a return to game action in 2019 when he suffered a fracture on the inside of his right elbow while throwing a bullpen session in early June and subsequently underwent season-ending surgery.

Honeywell has no shortage of weapons at his disposal when healthy, as he'll show the ability to execute five distinct pitches in a given outing. He throws his fastball in the low-to-mid-90s, at times touching 95-96 mph with late sinking action, and backs it with a host of secondary offerings, including his trademark screwball as well as a plus changeup. His feel for commanding his above-average mid-80s slider down in the zone gives him yet another out pitch, while his curveball represents a quality change-of-pace offering. Throwing strikes has never been a problem for Honeywell, whose natural athleticism, smooth mechanics and repeatable delivery all work in harmony to allow him to pound the zone consistently. He's also a fearless competitor on the mound, one who receives raves for his ability to mix pitches, set up hitters and execute a game plan.

Honeywell probably would have already established himself as a fixture in Tampa Bay's starting rotation had his 2018-19 campaigns not been wiped out by injuries. While it's yet to be seen how Honeywell's latest setback might impact his future role, it's safe to assume that the Rays will be extra cautious in managing the right-hander's rehab process. If all goes as planned, Honeywell should return to the mound at some point in 2020, in his age-25 season.

Daniel Lynch IV

One of three first-round pitchers taken by the Royals in the 2018 Draft, when the club selected eight college pitchers in the first six rounds, Lynch was pitching well at Class A Advanced Wilmington in 2019 before a minor arm issue interrupted his first full season. But the 6-foot-6 lefty made a healthy return in late July to finish the regular season on a high note, then opened eyes as one of the best pitchers in the Arizona Fall League. Lynch made even more progress at the alternate training site in 2020, with some club officials pegging him as the camp’s biggest standout.

The Royals suggested Lynch throw more fastballs upon entering the pro ranks after he had pitched with a breaking-ball-heavy arsenal in college. It immediately helped Lynch unlock more velocity, and he's been averaging around 95 mph on his fastball this summer. A plus, mid-80s slider represents the left-hander’s best secondary pitch and plays nicely off his fastball with its big depth and sharp bite. Lynch’s changeup was a major focus of his work at the alternate site, and he became more comfortable throwing it against hitters on both sides of the plate. He completes his four-pitch mix with an average curveball that he can throw for strikes but doesn't go to very often.

That Lynch also got better at repeating his delivery and arm slot while at the alternate site has inspired even more confidence in his capacity to develop at least average command on top of his present above-average control. Lynch’s feel for locating his power stuff speaks to his high ceiling as a starter, and the Royals have been committed to getting him looks at that role in the Majors in 2021.

Nothing about Drew Thorpe says "immune from busting," because no baseball player is immune from busting.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Vaughn (not a pitcher, but damn, look at this)

Stiever

Brent Honeywell - Yes, he had an injury, but still, look at this glowing report

Daniel Lynch IV

Nothing about Drew Thorpe says "immune from busting," because no baseball player is immune from busting.

None of those pitchers were in the same class of prospect as Thorpe and they all suffered from chronic injuries. Stiever pitched 1 full season in his entire career for Christ sake.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think if we learned anything about Getz so far is that he isn't willing to let things happen.  He seems very panicky.  

I don't know how we can jump to that conclusion - he literally waited and entire off-season. I also don't think it is smart to wait on trading pitching.  The risk of a catastrophe injury is massive - so if you can get a reasonable offer, especially when you know you need to make a move - you need to do it.  He played a game of chicken and eventually I think got a better offer than what was on the table - maybe not as good as some want, but I don't think his actions this off-season implied anything panicky.  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't know how we can jump to that conclusion - he literally waited and entire off-season. I also don't think it is smart to wait on trading pitching.  The risk of a catastrophe injury is massive - so if you can get a reasonable offer, especially when you know you need to make a move - you need to do it.  He played a game of chicken and eventually I think got a better offer than what was on the table - maybe not as good as some want, but I don't think his actions this off-season implied anything panicky.  

I wasn't ready to do so with just Cease, but with the way he is moving players in and out of the organization right now, including exposing and losing prospects to other organizations in a 100 loss season so that he can sign another awful vet of the streets, it feels panicky to me.

• Like 3

I once again look at the state of our players, and have to go back to the claims that Chris Getz had Dylan Cease and made him open to trade and said "Dang, we can't just take the best players we can get, we need as much pitching as possible. Our hitters are solid. We just need more pitching"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Thorpe isn’t just protypical strikeout guy, so we have no idea how his stuff with fare against major leaguers.  If he’s not pinpoint, you have what Hendricks is this year.

How does a guy of his size only throw 90? You don't necessarily need velocity to be effective, but it definitely puts a huge limit on his ceiling. 

As of now, I prefer to think of Getz as proactive, if only to help my sanity. 

And I gotta say, these young pitchers are looking pretty good. But we better match them up with some hitters, or we going to be in the shts for a long time.

FWIW, let's not assume Cease would have had a good start to the season with the Sox. I think the clubhouse is toxic to good baseball right now (I'm not talking about guys being nice/not nice to each other).