Middle Infielder

AddisonStSox

Which middle infielder would you like Kenny to bring in?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which middle infielder would you like Kenny to bring in?

• Cario
    • Cora
    • Iguchi
    • Larkin
    • Other (Please Specify)

I went with "other" and chose Willie. I'm sure Iguchi would be a decent hitter in the Majors but we have a young guy who was a pretty good prospect and had a respectable average for his 1st season starting.

I don't know why Ozzie hates him so much, just preach the fundamentals to him until he gets it. Tim Raines hou help him study the pitchers' motion so he could get some good jumps and develop into that 30-40 SB guy we all know he could be.

If the sox don't sign anyone else and have Willie as the 2B, I GUARANTEE by the end of year, that Willie will be leading-off and S-Pod will be hitting 9th. I do expect though, S-Pod to have a decent year as well.

I'm impartial. I'll be happy if they sign Iguchi because I believe he can be a success here, but I'll also take Cairo just because of his ability to hit for a good average and hit well against LHP, plus he's played on numerous winning teams before.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
I'm impartial. I'll be happy if they sign Iguchi because I believe he can be a success here, but I'll also take Cairo just because of his ability to hit for a good average and hit well against LHP, plus he's played on numerous winning teams before.

I think we should just play it safe and sign Cairo. We know what to expect from him. What if Iguchi sucks and we waste 2 million on him? This offseason has already been very succesful so ill be happy with either one though.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 03:57 AM)
I think we should just play it safe and sign Cairo.  We know what to expect from him.  What if Iguchi sucks and we waste 2 million on him? This offseason has already been very succesful so ill be happy with either one though.

Agree 100%.

Cairo would be a safe signing, and he'll hit the hell out of LHP's, which was really one of our akillie's (sp?) heals last season. It would be nice having a couple guys in the lineup (Rowand and Cairo) who would really give Santana and Sabathia an especially tough time at the dish...

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
I think we should just play it safe and sign Cairo.  We know what to expect from him.  What if Iguchi sucks and we waste 2 million on him? This offseason has already been very succesful so ill be happy with either one though.

I think it's worth to take the risk on Iguchi though. He's been hitting in a pitcher's park in Japan unlike Ichiro and Kaz Matssui who both mainly hit in hitter's parks. His numbers over the past 2 seasons have really been quite insane, and I think with him hitting at the Cell, and the comfort level with Shingo around, he could put up some good numbers here. Of course, one of things you have to consider is how he will handle hitting the two - seam fastball.

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
I went with "other" and chose Willie. I'm sure Iguchi would be a decent hitter in the Majors but we have a young guy who was a pretty good prospect and had a respectable average for his 1st season starting.

If the sox don't sign anyone else and have Willie as the 2B, I GUARANTEE by the end of year, that Willie will be leading-off and S-Pod will be hitting 9th. I do expect though, S-Pod to have a decent year as well.

Well the first paragraph is about how I feel about Willie though I don't think Iguchi will be all that great.

The 2nd paragraph is all over the place. I highly doubt Willie will be leading off. I hate people thinking Scott Pod would be hitting 9th, even his 04 is good enough for 7th on this team, but that's not that point. If Scott Pod had a decent year he wouldn't be hitting 9th either. How can he have a decent year and be hitting 9th on this team? :huh:

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)

I am sure by the end of the year willie will be batting lead-off too. When podsednik is getting a day off to rest.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
Well the first paragraph is about how I feel about Willie though I don't think Iguchi will be all that great.

The 2nd paragraph is all over the place. I highly doubt Willie will be leading off. I hate people thinking Scott Pod would be hitting 9th, even his 04 is good enough for 7th on this team, but that's not that point. If Scott Pod had a decent year he wouldn't be hitting 9th either. How can he have a decent year and be hitting 9th on this team? :huh:

Podsednik is the type of player that should either bat lead-off or ninth. That is using the 9th slot as kind of a second lead-off hitter. You don't always put your weakest hitter in the ninth spot. Sometimes, they go in the 8 spot and you put a speedster in at number 9.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
I'm all for Iguchi.

If he has a good time here, maybe, just maybe, him and Shingo and their tales of how fun Chicago is will allow us a shot at that amazing Japanese pitcher. (Name forgotten)

Thats reason enough for me. Everything I"ve heard about that guy, including talking to a player thats faced him, make me think he's legit.

I would have signed Grudz to a one year deal and let him split time with Harris at 2B

Grudz plays against all lefties (or substitutes Harris if a lefty is on later in innings) and Harris plays majority of righties

Both split time and play at lower end of order (before or after Crede)

Not sure why we did not go after Grudz :huh

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 08:14 AM)
Anyone else find it odd that KW has said that The Sox and Iguchi are far apart on money, but all indications are that is 500,000 or so? Sorry, if this has been posted before.

I really think Iguchi is with The Sox by Monday.

Also, if he signs, who is the back up SS?

I did find it odd, the Sox public positioning on Iguchi being "far apart". It sounds like they're forcing Iguchi's hand. Accept the offer or come down a little, or we'll sign someone else. I don't think many or any other teams are offering a guaranteed 2 yr deal. Right now the sox don't have to make a move [they should, as a guy like Iguchi can help the sox do a lot of things]. But Iguchi has to make a move.

The Sox getting AJ should actually help move the situation along. If the sox are the last, best offer on the table for Iguchi, he should accept or be left in Japan for another yr. It might depend on how much he wants to play in the US.

I do think something will be worked out by monday, with Iguchi getting something like $2.15 mill a yr for 2 yrs.