White Sox looking to deal Thomas or Everett

DBAHO

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie won't come cheap but the 3 team trade is the most likely way to get him. The M's declined a 2005 team option for $6M & Eddie accepted a $4M player option. I believe the WSox would have a team option for $8M & Eddie would have a player option for $6M.

The original contract was between $14-17M so I think that's about right.

He is an injury risk. He missed about 2 mo's last yr with knee surgery & suffered shoulder problems as well. This year he was bothered for a while by a hamstring problem.

No doubt he would help (7.77MOB, 16SV's, 18K's). Better than Nathan.

The WSox would then have 4 guys ranked in the Sag NPERA top 25 in AL relief: (Politte #3, Cotts #13, Eddie #18, Hermy #24).

NPERA doesn't place much value on SV's but Hermy does have 13. When looking at the numbers Cotts & Hermy both have MOB > 10 & Politte & Eddie have MOB < 8. That's usually a good indicator for the guys dominating in the pen & the guys benefiting from some timely luck.

Politte has really been a great surprise with 25K's. The rise of Cotts through the rankings has been equally nice.

Of the 3 remaining guys: Marte, Viz, & Shingo Marte is the most likely to rise back up into top 20 form. If he does that after June & we are on pace to win 55-60 gms before the break then I don't think we need Guardado. We should have enough talent to make the playoffs with 40-45 wins in the 2nd half. Even with the team we had in 2004 we still managed 37W in the 2nd half. This is a much better team pitching wise & RON wise.

Wrt the playoffs, you can use El Duque out of the pen in place of Shingo.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Boston is simply not going to trade Hanley Ramirez.  They are totally adamant about it.

They do have a catcher that they're pretty high on. His name is Kelly Schoppach. Since they just signed Varitek to that long deal, they can move him. I think they signed Renteria long-term, too, so I would Imagine they'd move Hanley Ramirez for the right price.

Couple of things:

1)Steff, I agree with you. I see MB being more like the leader of this team, but PK is usually the one talking to anyone who listens. To me, being a leader means you're a pretty productive player every time out and that every player respects you on the team and will do as you ask. I don't see PK having that at least with Frank.

2)Hanley Ramirez is as untradeable as they're going to come in Boston.

3)Chavez won't be traded.

Maybe we could trade BMac for everyday Eddie and non-roider Bret Boone

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
2)Hanley Ramirez is as untradeable as they're going to come in Boston.

I've talked to some pretty hardcore Red Sox fans in the past 20 minutes, and they say that he's tradeable for a good deal (something that doesn't involve rentals).

So much for Thomas' lack of lateral movement preventing him from playing 1B.

Guillen: "If we play him in the field, it's because we need him. I think Frank is willing to do what we think is good for the team. He knows what we want to do here. It's all about winning. I don't want him to sit for six days. That's why it's hard for us to play in the National League.''

It certainly sounds to me that if Koney is 0-2 in a game Guillen will not hesitate to replace him with Frank.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
So much for Thomas' lack of lateral movement preventing him from playing 1B.

Guillen: "If we play him in the field, it's because we need him.  I think Frank is willing to do what we think is good for the team. He knows what we want to do here. It's all about winning. I don't want him to sit for six days. That's why it's hard for us to play in the National League.''

It certainly sounds to me that if Koney is 0-2 in a game Guillen will not hesitate to replace him with Frank.

I would like to see it. It's better than trotting Timo out there at 1B.

I wouldn't trade Everett or Frank. They both are very valuable to this team. Frank for obvious reasons, Everett because not only is he a quality switch hitter who can occasionally spell all three outfielders, but also for his clubhouse presence, his win at all costs attitude and his contribution to this years great team chemistry. He seems to have become the leader of this team.

However, if it is true that the Sox are intent on trading one or the other, and the Angel's really need a DH, I would feel much better if we got Chone Figgins in the deal.

Figgins would fit this year's White Sox quite nicely, with his speed, switch hitting and versatility. He can play 3B for Crede, spell Iguchi at 2B when he nneeds a rest, and can play all three OF positions better than Timo. He can also play some SS.

I don't want to trade Carl or Frank, but again if they do, Figgins is the guy to get. Anything less, and I'd be upset.

In all the miles of posts about how to use Thomas and Everett on the NL swing, I'm surprized no one has mentioned that this could be a great advantage for the White Sox. Two, count them, two top quality pinch hitters for the pitchers spot. Does anyone in the whole NL have two pinch hitters as good as Frank and Carl? If things fall into place the Sox will be playing an AL type line up vs an NL line up in the latter innings.

i vote no trading Carl (and trading Frank is impossible, no one will take on the automatic extension)

here's why no Carl trade:

first of all, you just wont get a lot for him. would you take what the Sox gave up to get him? Jon Rauch? Carl's only gotten a little older since that point.

he wont be in a lot of demand. he's a DH, not too mobile a OF. Angels are very left-handed already, so I dont see them ponying up much to get him.

the article says teams are calling, but i'm sure they're just trying to get him for ultra-cheap at this point.

secondly... we need BOTH. this team has no longball PH threat. why not have one that is a switch-hitter? whats more, if Frank gets injured again, like he does EVERY year... then lo and behold we need a DH.

the article's concerns about team chemistry are on target too.... Carl is always seen joking around in the dugout and what not. i dont think he will become a nuisance over the demotion (like Frank would)

Edited by Princess Dye

We have a 13 page thread based on a speculative article. Thomas is not tradable for anything worthwhile at this point. I disagree with those that say we wouldn't get much for Everett. He's a proven ML hitter that's just struggling at the moment. He certainly has value.

I don't see the Sox moving either of them at this point in time. This week is going to be wasted as far as getting either of them any significant number of at bats. Then we'll have to see over a span of 3 weeks or so if either one of these two gets into a groove. It should also give us some insight onto Frank's health.

I know this much. If Frank Thomas can be anything close to his normal self, he's exactly what this team needs to bolster the lineup. He makes the guys around him better and adds significant OBP numbers.

I'm not against trading Frank if trading Frank will help this club get to the promised land. I don't buy into that icon stuff when a title is on the line. However, I don't see us getting anything for Frank that will help us as much as Frank would.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
I hope you wouldn't rather have Everett over Frank as our DH.  If you think Everett is a better hitter than Thomas, you are sadly mistaken.

And Frank just turned 37.  Everett is 34.  Is it time for Carl to hang it up as well?

did i ever say that everett was better than frank or we should keep everett as suppose to frank? No

i have always been a big frank supporter going so far as to keep asking "what would a 250-270 avg and 25-30 homer player is worth" i know what i have written in the past b/c i was getting hammered back then. this was some 2 yrs ago. this was a time when a lot of posters was saying trade or do not resign frank.

as i said 1 good game does not make a season or a career, i want to see frank stay with the sox, if he rebounds and hits or can stay healty. but can you honestly say that he will? How bout the fact on what he is going to be paid next yr??? Do you think the sox will pay that much for an uncertain player with health issues, assuming he still has lingering effects or other nagging injuries.

i see the sox using the money ear mark for frank for a player that can help next yr in free agency. which would leave frank being release.

so here is where i would like to see frank retire, in a sox uni instead of bouncing around the league looking for a team to pick him up.

ref to carl i have no comments on him. whether he is a solid player on the team or in the clubhouse. however on a realistic note, i will trade anyone who can help this team.

people here seem to be pretending that we all know exactly what we have with Frank

i personally havent seen a healthy Frank hit ML pitching for an extended period of time, and until then, i'm not going to assume he is playing like a HoFer... or a benchwarmer.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)
I'm not against trading Frank if trading Frank will help this club get to the promised land.  I don't buy into that icon stuff when a title is on the line.  However, I don't see us getting anything for Frank that will help us as much as Frank would.

I don't want to see Frank go anywhere...as much as I want a championship, I want it with Frank. But I guess if traded him helped us win, I am for it. I just hope we can move Everett.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
I don't want to see Frank go anywhere...as much as I want a championship, I want it with Frank.  But I guess if traded him helped us win, I am for it.  I just hope we can move Everett.

nobody wants to pick up his 12 million dollar trade option, he isnt going anywhere.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
nobody wants to pick up his 12 million dollar trade option, he isnt going anywhere.

boy Frank sure got himself a sweet contract way back when. pretty much a no-trade clause, with the exception of tons of money if he does get dealt

makes me think he should be the one representing Skiles to go against Reinsdorf

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
boy Frank sure got himself a sweet contract way back when.  pretty much a no-trade clause, with the exception of tons of money if he does get dealt

makes me think he should be the one representing Skiles to go against Reinsdorf

I think you may have forgotten about the diminished skills clause though.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
I don't believe anything beat writers or columnists write anymore, not that I believed much of their garbage before. I've heard a lot more than the usual contradiction from in and out of the clubhouse lately.

Steff, will you stay out of the damned clubhouse. It is much easier for the players to concentrate when you aren't in there trying to steal their towels.

;-)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Steff, will you stay out of the damned clubhouse.  It is much easier for the players to concentrate when you aren't in there trying to steal their towels. 

;-)

You know that's bs.. they love to get snapped in the ass with a towel. :whip

:lol: