NON WHITE SOX TRADE THREAD

GoodAsGould

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno if this has been reported yet, but the Yankees traded for Shawn Chacon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2118888

The New York Yankees agreed to acquire pitcher Shawn Chacon from the Colorado Rockies for a pair of minor-leaguers on Thursday night, filling the opening in their injury-ravaged rotation, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has learned.

Shawn Chacon

Starting Pitcher

Colorado Rockies 

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM W L BB K ERA

13 1 7 36 39 4.09

In exchange for Chacon, a 27-year-old right-hander, the Rockies get Ramon Ramirez and Edwardo Sierra.

New York and Colorado were in the process of finalizing the trade and planned to announce it later Thursday.

The Yankees were in desperate need of pitching help after Kevin Brown went on the disabled list for the 14th time in his career. The pitcher will go to California to be examined by back expert Dr. Robert Watkins.

Brown has a lumbar strain, according to the Yankees. Watkins operated on Brown in June 2002 to repair a disc in the nerve canal of the pitcher's lower back, and the Yankees are unsure whether Brown will be sidelined for the rest of the season.

"Hopefully in the next 24, 48 hours we'll have more of a clue to that," Yankees manager Joe Torre said before New York beat Minnesota 6-3. "Hopefully that's not the case because I know that's certainly not what he wants, and it's certainly not what we want or need. But, as I say, his physical well being is No. 1 here. I really -- I don't know what the answer is. I have to really get the doctors to tell me."

Brown, 40, is 4-7 with a 6.50 ERA in 13 starts this season. The five-time All-Star was on the DL from April 3-17 and June 18-July 18 with a strained back, then returned this month without a rehab start and allowed 13 runs in 7 2/3 innings during starts at Texas and the Los Angeles Angels. He was examined by Dr. Yechiel Kleen in Colorado, who spoke this week with Yankees physician Dr. Stuart Hershon.

"He's bothered by this whole thing because first off, he obviously wants to help here," Torre said. "But secondly, he's not well at this point in time."

Brown has been on the DL 10 times since December 1998, when he was given a $105 million, seven-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who traded him to the Yankees in December 2002. He was 41-19 in his first three years after signing the first $100 million deal in baseball history but has gone 31-26 since.

New York made the roster move retroactive to July 24, the day after Brown's last appearance. The Yankees did not immediately fill the roster spot, debating whether to bring up a pitcher or a position player.

Pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre said if New York doesn't acquire a starter, a string of relievers could be used Saturday against the Angels.

"We'll probably, if we have to, we'll treat it like a spring training game," he said. "You try to pitch two or three guys two or three innings each unless something happens by Saturday."

With Brown sidelined along with Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright and Chien-Ming Wang, who all have shoulder injuries, New York has brought up Aaron Small and acquired Al Leiter to join Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina in the rotation. Hideo Nomo, signed to a minor-league contract this week, needs work and won't be available this weekend, Torre said.

Pavano made his first injury rehabilitation start Wednesday and will make at least one more.

"He wants to get back here like everybody does when they go to Tampa for a period of time and have to deal 95, 100 [degrees] every day," Torre said.

Wright, out since April, is scheduled to make his first rehab start Saturday. Outfielder Ruben Sierra, who has a strained left hamstring, is likely to start a rehab assignment this weekend. The earliest he could be activated is Wednesday.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Apparently Soriano for Cameron and Milledge is done.

Stupid move for both teams. Texas doesn't demand Petit, and the Mets will collapse as usual.

Where did you hear that?

Shacon to the Yanks, not a bad deal for them. They desperately needed help, still dont know why other teams help the Evil empire.

SD padres acquired catcher David Ross from the Pirates for J.J. Furmaniak. I believe I heard Hernandez is injured that's why Pads needed a catcher.

Seems like the trades are coming now. Cant wait to see what moves we can make.

New stuff from Will Carroll over at Baseball Prospectus (free everything for about a week! Really neat stuff):

Friday, July 29, 12:40 a.m. ET: The Alfonso Soriano rumors took a new turn as Bruce Levine of ESPN 1000 in Chicago says that a deal bringing Soriano to the Cubs is close. Levine also said that the Cubs would move Soriano to left field. Sources on both sides of this deal deny any discussions.

The Yankees completed their deal for Shawn Chacon, giving up two minor leaguers (Ramon Ramirez and Edwardo Serra) for the Colorado swingman. Sources who have spoken with the Yankees regarding their current activity feel that the Yankees will make another deal within the next 24 hours, again in hopes of shoring up their pitching staff. The imminent surgery on Kevin Brown ratchets up the need even further.

The Pirates are still hard at work. Their latest move looks to be moving Jose Mesa and Daryle Ward to the Mets or Phillies in return for a package of mid-level prospects and major leaguers. The Pirates are moving to the next generation of players and showing Ward the door would clear the path for Brad Eldred. Despite his listed dimensions, Eldred is not WWE-sized; he reminds me of Derrek Lee in some ways.

Link.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
If the f***ing cubs pick up Soriano and Nomar comes back, all we are going to hear from gay ass Bruce Levine is that they are now favorites to win the WC and the WS.

LOL, it wouldn't be just Levine, everyone would be spankin' it over the Cubs, except that they still wouldn't have any middle relief, and Soriano does nothing to help them create more runs. At this point it just seems the Cubs make moves with big names to satisfy casual fans (I know that's not the truth, but it seems like that).

However, ESPN 1000 just said that Soriano isn't interested in playing the outfield, and it wouldn't be a Hendry deal where he could just give midlevel prospects, it seems the Rangers would want high prospects.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
LOL, it wouldn't be just Levine, everyone would be spankin' it over the Cubs, except that they still wouldn't have any middle relief, and Soriano does nothing to help them create more runs.  At this point it just seems the Cubs make moves with big names to satisfy casual fans (I know that's not the truth, but it seems like that).

However, ESPN 1000 just said that Soriano isn't interested in playing the outfield, and it wouldn't be a Hendry deal where he could just give midlevel prospects, it seems the Rangers would want high prospects.

Bruuuuuce Levine said that Hendry offered Rich Hill and Corey Patterson. WTF, are you kidding me Bruce. Patterson has NO trade value at all. Come on man.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
Where did you hear that?

Shacon to the Yanks, not a bad deal for them. They desperately needed help, still dont know why other teams help the Evil empire.

SD padres acquired catcher David Ross from the Pirates for J.J. Furmaniak. I believe I heard Hernandez is injured that's why Pads needed a catcher.

Seems like the trades are coming now. Cant wait to see what moves we can make.

Furmaniak went to Bolingbrook High School, my alma mater. It's a shame - I had hoped to see him play in SD.

latest rumor from ESPN sportcenter/baseball tonight is:

3 way deal involving boston, the mets, and tampa bay

boston gets: aubery huff

mets gets: manny

tb gets: ??

they just mentioned that buster oley confirmed that there is talks between the three teams and manny might be a met within the next 24 hours.

they didnt go into it much, it was as they were closing up the show... just said they got word of it just now and more info will be forthcomming on BBTN later

The Marlins and Pirates are discussing a trade that would send Mark Redman to Florida for pitching prospect Yorman Bazardo.

That'd be a pretty good return for the Pirates. Bazardo has second- or third- starter potential if everything breaks right. Redman would slide right into Florida's rotation whether A.J. Burnett goes or not. Jul. 30 - 12:40 am et

Source: Palm Beach Post

Pre-Burnett trade accomodations?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
BP says the Yankees are close to acquiring Kevin Millwood.

I would love to see the Indians become sellers. I think they have just as much of a chance catching the Sox as the Twins do. The Indians have a very easy schedule the rest of the way.

I would think that the only teams seriously in on Winn are St. Louis and New York and you have to feel that NY is the favorite because their interest is higher and their negotiations are known to be serious this week. I think Jocketty will make a splash with an outfielder and it won't be Winn or Lawton. They will add a big guy like Brian Giles (I was surprised to hear that too) or Griffey.