Official game thread for August 10th

Ishmookie

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Screw driving the ball.  Everyone is hung up on power.

MAKE CONTACT AND HIT LINE DRIVES. 

That is what we need with men on.  If he hits a line drive into the gap it scores 2 and sets up the inning for another run.

And now its not just me, Belton Bill, Farmio, Rooney and others have made comments about how we are near last in the AL in doubles and singles.  And how that is a disturbing trend.

Looks at our K numbers, they are pretty high for a small ball team.

I'm not saying he has to hit Hr's, but a few doubles and triples would be nice. Edited by CYGarland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a month ago everyone was giving PODS the MVP for the season, in fact he was dubbed the key to our turnaround. Check yourself on this issue. Pods is one of the reasons we are who we are, why gooch is so good, and why pitchers fear our lineup at least a little.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
I just hope that he doesn't get a big fat contract in the off-season.

I'm Ok with him as our leadoff man, but at the right price.

He's signed through next season. It's less than $2 million. Considering he's only at about $500,000 this season its still a good deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
I forget our offense is fine.  You are the one who was talking about how great this pitcher is and that pitcher is when they shut out the sox only to watch them get destroyed by their next opponent.

I am sure Aaron Small is Randy Johnson version II, but I think our offense should be able to hit him.

When did I say he's Randy Johnson? He's pitched good this year whether you guys want to admit it or not. You can take the teams that slugged their way to victories and booted the ball around the field, I'll take the team who scores just enough runs, catches the damn ball and has 73 wins through August 9th.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
He's signed through next season... I believe he makes 1.2M next year.

Okay.

That's reasonable IF he can keep his OBP up in the .350s-.360s like he has the majority of the season. Unfortunately, it's been going down -- or it's seemed that way -- since April. I know for sure that he's walking a whole lot less.

Small should be nicknamed First Pitch Strike ™.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
I like Greg Walker, but I haven't seen a different approach from the Sox hitters since this slide began. Long swings and pop ups. I hold him partly to blame.

I think my main issue with the Sox hitting is their swings on 3-1 and 2-1. It seems that they feel they have to swing on 3-1 and 2-1, and don't look for pitches.

Top 6TH B:0 S:2 O:1

Aaron Rowand pops out to first baseman Jason Giambi in foul territory.

Top 6TH B:1 S:2 O:2

Jermaine Dye flies out to center fielder Bernie Williams.

Top 6TH B:3 S:2 O:3

Geoff Blum grounds out, shortstop Derek Jeter to first baseman Jason Giambi.

9 in a row by Cy Small.

We were lucky to get a solo homer off of Cy Chacon last night. And barely scratched anything across Cy Mussina on monday.

Oddly the Yanks have been a mash unit with their pitching staff. They have been outslugging teams.

Our hitters however have allowed them to K above 5 per game and have barely ecked out some hits.

The offense is fine though.

what slide is everyone talking about?? Have I been asleep that long?? Cause i dont remember a losing skid??? Jesus people, havent we learned anything. This is why we are so good this year. Offense is streaky, offense slumps, pitching and defense usually do not. This is why we are still in this game and every game against the yanks. God!!!