Jermaine Dye to 1B

DBAHO

This whole article is pure speculation by the Southtown just looking for something to talk about on a day off for the Sox. There is exactly 1 quote in the whole article about this and it is Ozzie quoted as saying that Dye is a good enough athlete to play just about anywhere. They don't know any more than we do.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving Jermaine to 1B, Anderson to RF, and saying bye-bye to Pauly after what we are doing this season, would not sit well at all. They better not go cheap after this year. If Pauly isn't here then some other thumber better be (Dunn, Blalock, Teixeira, whatever). This team is good, but we still need to add offense, not get rid of it.

Playing 1B is one of the easiest things you could do unless you're a pitcher. I don't know why people think it would be such a shaky move. I would go as far as saying that Dye would have more range at 1B than PK. I'm not saying I want Konerko gone, but if he's in bigtime demand, Dye to 1B isn't so far fetched.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
1b is the most important defensive position on the field.  I dont want someone who doesnt know what they are doing playing there..  but hey, thats just me.

We need Paulie back next year.. if he goes, our offense goes.

WTF? This is very, very wrong.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
That's great. It doesn't change that first base is the easiest of all positions to play defensively.

How many errors a game does the 1b save the other position players on balls picked out of the dirt or balls high and wide?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
That's great. It doesn't change that first base is the easiest of all positions to play defensively.

Also, I didnt say it was the hardest to play, I said it was the most important.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Also, I didnt say it was the hardest to play, I said it was the most important.

You're dead wrong.

Ever hear of the phrase "being strong up the middle?"

Why do Jason Giambi and David Ortiz play first in NL games? Wouldn't it be better to put them at a less defense reliable position like third base or right field?

:rolly

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
What's so unrealistic of moving a outfielder to first base?

I'm not saying it's unrealistic. First base and LF are the only positions IMO, where it will not hurt you too much to have a defensive liability out there. I just don't think everyone should have assumptions of putting Jermaine out there based on him playing 1st years ago and 1 game this year. Hey, it can very well work out. Any move like that though, is a risk. If they do this I want a plan B at least.

QUOTE(spataro51 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
i am not for that at all.  dye has 1 game experience at first and frankly without paulie we would be short another power guy that can put some fear into an opposing pitcher. even though paulie is the slowest guy in the american league, we still need him not only as a player but as a leader also.

You must have forgotten about Bengie Molina.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
1b is the most important defensive position on the field. 

No argument you can make can back this argument up.

There are 3 positions you can argue - C, SS, and CF - and that's it. Catcher because if you have a good defensive catcher, you have a guy blocking passed balls, throwing out baserunners, and, if you include it, being a good game caller too. A good SS will get to balls hit up the middle, hit in the hole, and will be able to make crazy tough plays...he stops many a base hit. CF if the most important simply because he has the most ground to cover in CF, and he has the rights to basically any flyball he wants to.

I don't even play baseball anymore - havent in 3-4 years - and I still remember that.

if the Phillies will eat a crazy amount of Thome's 13 million dollar contract... and he's healthy i'd take him and put him at first. He's an peoria guy, but i think he was a cub fan....

but anyways i think he'd have some fun hitting at the cell

QUOTE(SoxRock192 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
Still, why would Dye be 1B anyway

If we are unable to keep PK or feel he's too expensive for our tastes, then Dye to 1B is a realistic option. Dye doesn't have the range he used to in the OF anymore because of his leg. Dye at 1B though has the strong arm and not as much as area to cover(about 1/4th if that of the OF). Plus he's taller(which is a plus) and gets good reads off the ball.

Last but not least, it's easier to find an OF replacement than a 1B(offensively).