Dome or no Dome

WinningUgly85

Well seeing that our series with the Astros is at minute maid now what do you guys think should they play with the dome or not. Seeing that the Astros have a better record with it, but we have the better record in away games. What do you think about MLB's decision not to allow them to have it. Astros feel that the MLB never cared to make a decision during the course of the season so why now.

Sorry don't know how to create polls.

Edited by WinningUgly85

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
Well seeing that our series with the Astros is at minute maid now what do you guys think should they play with the dome or not.  Seeing that the Astros have a better record with it, but we have the better record in away games.  What do you think about MLB's decision not to allow them to have it.  Astros feel that the MLB never cared to make a decision during the course of the season so why now.

The MLB runs the world series. And they made the Diamondbacks open their retractable dome for their world series games. Its a precedent and that is why they are holding them to it.

Edited by southsideirish71

Why exactly does MLB prefer the dome to remain open? Houston obviously favors conditions within the closed dome, as it assists their homefield advantage. It certaintly helps us cause not to hear higher decibels or experience controlled weather conditions in the dome. I won't complain.

Call me old-fashioned but I always thought that the point of retractable roofs was to fight against inclimate weather such as rain or extreme heat. If neither of those factors are present, it should be opened. Here is the tricky part: One the one hand if Arizona had to have theirs open Houston should. The flip side is that it seems kind of odd that Atlanta and St. Louis should have to play the Astros in the playoffs indoor and us outdoors. I think they need to make it more consistent. MLB should decide for the whole playoffs.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Why exactly does MLB prefer the dome to remain open? Houston obviously favors conditions within the closed dome, as it assists their homefield advantage. It certaintly helps us cause not to hear higher decibels or experience controlled weather conditions in the dome. I won't complain.

I will bet you its because of the TV Blimp shots.

I dislike turf/domes in Baseball and Football. They have no place for sports meant to be played outdoors, and both Football and Baseball are outdoor sports.

Unless it's raining, there is no use for a dome. If your fans want to be loud, be loud, just like we were in Chicago, without the benefit of a dome to magnify it.

There are standards, according to an article I just read, if the temperature is less than 80 degrees and its clear out, then the roof has to be opened. They just haven't stuck to that all season. Now that its the playoffs, Uncle Bud's office gets to step in and make them stick to it. I am also sure that aerial footage also has something to do with it. Either way, its MLB's decision, let em whine.

On another note, Roy Oswalt demonstrated his stupidity amidst the whining about this stuff in saying that "We had to play in their home field advantage, cold, windy, and rainy. They have been playing in that stuff all year, we haven't."

Well, Roy, in case you didn't remember during your many trips to the mound across town, this summer was dry as a f***in' bone, hotter than the blazes of hell until after game 2 of the ALDS, and there really wasn't any wind to speak of. Those conditions were miserable this weekend, and aside from the noise, presented neither team with any distinct advantage. Nice try though. Keep crying.

:finger :gosox1:

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
On another note, Roy Oswalt demonstrated his stupidity amidst the whining about this stuff in saying that "We had to play in their home field advantage, cold, windy, and rainy.  They have been playing in that stuff all year, we haven't."

I laughed when I heard that as well.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
MLB should've been enforcing whatever criteria they used the whole season. To all of a sudden in the World Series start enforcing something and not letting a team take full homefield advantage is idiotic.

Every other game the blimp and their sponsors don't pay several million $$'s to show overhead shots. If the Stros want it closed.. let them pay the $$ back - that's what this is all about - and not expect the players, the Sox or MLB to reduce their take.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
If it's good weather one would have to be a moron to prefer indoor baseball over outdoor.

I don't care if it's loud for the home team; Indoor baseball sucks.

That's basically my beliefe as well. Here is the deal breaker for me. EVERY time a retracable roof stadium is built, they always say it's being built because the area they live in has a tendency to have bad weather and they want to play outdoors when possible, but indoors when the weather is bad. In Houston's case, it was built to keep out 100+ degree days. If Miami gets one, it's because of rain.

Now the Astros are saying "we want it closed becasue it gives a home field advantage." no no no! THat's NOT why it was built.

I honestly believe that MLB should make a rule saying that retractable roofs can only be closed in 3 situation.... extreme cold.... extreme heat.... extreme precipitation. That's it!!

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
The flip side is that it seems kind of odd that Atlanta and St. Louis should have to play the Astros in the playoffs indoor and us outdoors. I think they need to make it more consistent. MLB should decide for the whole playoffs.

I'm not sure MLB realized what was goign until the St. Loius series when the dome was closed when the weather was GREAT!

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
Every other game the blimp and their sponsors don't pay several million $$'s to show overhead shots. If the Stros want it closed.. let them pay the $$ back - that's what this is all about - and not expect the players, the Sox or MLB to reduce their take.

I agree to let the astros decide for themselves how they want their roof, but...

Why have a RETRACTABLE roof, if you always want it closed on nice nights.

:huh

Permanently seal it, then.

BTW, this didn't effect the Diamondbacks in 2001 when they had to keep their roof opened.