The Official Parade Thread

southsideirish71

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Did the crowd just chant, "WE CAN'T HEAR"?

Yeah. I was there. 150ft maybe 200ft from the stage, and there was no audio. There were PA speakers attached to the light poles but nothing coming out of them. The city really screwed the pooch on this.

Other wise, awesome parade.

Edit: Does anyone know if any TV channels (Comcast Sportsnet?) are going to replay this?

It was amazing being there, but I'd kinda like to hear what they all had to say....

Edited by Linnwood

That celebration was incredible. I couldn't believe how emotional I got during parts of it, especially when Konerko gave the game ball to Reinsdorf.

A couple of interesting, little things I noticed:

When Konerko mentioned winning it all again next year, off to the side it looked like Kenny Williams was saying something like, "I'm going to hold you to that!"

After Buerhle promised to get the the Three Stooges up there to sing "Don't Stop Believing," he stepped to the side and you could hear him say, "I've been hearing that damn song in my sleep."

Great stuff. What a great day. What a great year. I'm going to smile all winter.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Any estimates on the crowd size?

I was there in the front by State of Illinois building...

IN-f***ING-CREDIBLE!!!

NBC estimates 1.75 million people came out for the parade and rally.

The City of Chicago has never seen anything like this...ever!!

Scoop Jackson.

They rolled through the 'Hood like their names were all Robin.

Ventura, to be exact.

Through Bridgeport, Pilsen and Brownsville, they rolled. Caravan like the cousins of Isley. Singing "Sweep Home Chicago" and "Take Me Out To The Ball Game," screaming Ozzie's name, giving love to the poor, ignoring the rich.

They rolled through an estimated million, seven-to-20 deep in some parts. All sides South.

They rolled to the Mayor's house, not the one he shares with his wife, the one he shares with the city. They shook confetti off of them, they peeled pride off their sleeves. They looked out into the faces and had no idea it was going to be like this even though they got a hint when the ramp workers at the airport doused their plane down with water acting as if the hoses were bottles of champagne.

As they took the stand, one by one, they all had something to say but were speechless. The man who hurt the most had a smile on his face the city hasn't seen in his 15 years as the face of the organization. So when 26th-man Frank Thomas yelled into the two boom mics that would play Shure to this day's We Are The World: "God Bless this team, God bless Chicago," everyone from Kenny's Ribs to Kinney's Shoes felt what he was trying to express.

Jermaine Dye, Mark Buehrle, Ozzie Gullien all sang their verses. Blessing the mic with a sound unheard in this city.

But when as-of-yesterday free agent Paul Konerko, black trench coat down, unscripted and unexpectedly reached into his pocket and handed over the last-out ball to owner Jerry Reinsdorf and he began to cry, you knew it was either the most brilliant and timely negotiation move in the history of sports, or there's a sincerity inside this organization that will not allow them to let players leave the way the Red Sox did after ending their own 86-year drought last Oct. 28.

Will they make the cover of Time? No. Will the world stop to do books, movies and dedicate days on ESPN Classic to them? No. Will the nation fall in love? Never.

But that's your fault, not theirs.

And to this team, it's never been about that and never will be. As long as they got to see what they saw today: Got the see the 'Hood and how much deeper that love is than having a nation ride your jock.

With this experience in their hearts, the 2005 Champs of The World can go home. When they got there, they all got a chance to look outside Gate 6 on the side of U.S. Cellular Field, and for the last time this season see the sign that hangs like a badge of honor.

The image is of them piling on each other. Of how their future would be.

It's been there since the playoffs began.

The words above their image reads: Grind Rule #62. There is no crying in baseball ... Unless there is champagne burning in your eyes.

wow! 25 pages on this sucker! im not about to read it all but ill tell yas how my parade/rally experience went. started off da day wit a little breakfast and newspaper and proceded to board da Metra bound for LaSalle & Wacka. armed with my white sox flag and Luck o' the Irish '83 hat and traveling with my family and buddy to the rally point. Proceeded to wait around for hours with 1.5 Million of my friends for Our Bhoys! i was approx. 30 feet from the intersection of LaSalle and W. so we ended up luckin out as far as positioning goes (considering most parade goers got f***ed position wised.) The sights and sounds as we waited for the 2005 World Champs was outta this world as many of you know. When the time came, it was well worth the wait to see my man Mark Buehrle really gettin into the moment as well he should be. Undoubtably everybody has b****ed about the rally and sadly i am no different. "We cant here you" chants were frequent (and shodily executed.) Dispite being about 1/4 ofa block away from the stage, audio was pretty much non-existant and the screen was obscured by people who soared above me. Being short really blows. But who am i to b****? hell people, were b****in about not being able to hear the World Champion Chicago White Sox speak. who the hell cares, when in reality we could see the re-broadcast on TV later and, oh yes, We Have A World Series Winning Team! I firmly believe this overshadows any things to complain about. Ok my little tangent is done, and im back on track. The ticker tape or should i say "recycled SunTimes" was quite a site to see dropping from the baseball heavens. I had in the backa my mind thought that the day that id be able to see My Team celebrate a fall classic victory in the downtown streets of Chicago may never come in my lifetime was broken today. Thank You Lifelong, Loyal Southsiders and Sox Fans. to those of you who have struggled thru the hard times, never wavering or missing a game, never "switching sides :huh ?" or giving up hope, this victory is ours.

QUOTE(LoFiStew @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
That's an awesome sig picture, SnB. A perfect before and after of a wondrous life-changing moment.

The more this sinks in, the more I like it. God, I love this team!

hooray for my gf to take a ton of pictures

Hello everyone :) This is my first post, but I have read the boards sporadically over the course of the year since moving from the SW burbs to wisconsin this past dec. I hate to do this, as it is a pretty dickheadish thing to do (my first post and already asking for favors), but could someone send me a tape or dvd of the parade/rally? I actually did tape and watch the whole superstation broadcast from the cell to the end of the rally, only to accidentally tape over it with the Oprah show :crying I was so excited about the prospect of our boys getting some national attention, I neglected the fact that I had already rewound the tape, thus taping over the amazing festivities. I never stopped the tape from recording after the Oprah show so *everything* is gone. I was hoping to watch it again tonight but all I have is a bunch of rabid women screaming their heads off, a minute of sox, george clooney, and the rockford files. Can anyone hook me up? But I do know how lucky I am to have seen the whole thing, so for that I am eternally grateful :D

Thank You Sox!

Hello everyone :)  This is my first post, but I have read the boards sporadically over the course of the year since moving from the SW burbs to wisconsin this past dec. I hate to do this, as it is a pretty dickheadish thing to do (my first post and already asking for favors),  but could someone send me a tape or dvd of the parade/rally?  I actually did tape and watch the whole superstation broadcast from the cell to the end of the rally, only to accidentally tape over it with the Oprah show  :crying   I was so excited about the prospect of our boys getting some national attention, I neglected the fact that I had already rewound the tape, thus taping over the amazing festivities.  I never stopped the tape from recording after the Oprah show so *everything* is gone. I was hoping to watch it again tonight but all I have is a bunch of rabid women screaming their heads off, a minute of sox, george clooney,  and the rockford files.  Can anyone hook me up?  But I do know how lucky I am to have seen the whole thing, so for that I am eternally grateful :D

Thank You Sox!

Tons of videos here.

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?cid=29

MLB.com also has a streaming video of the parade.

Edited by SSH2005

Here's a good illustration of just how big the crowd was, and how packed the streets of Chicago were during the parade.

I was at Adams and LaSalle. Some guy climbed onto a streetlight to get a better view. Pretty soon, a lone police officer on foot came and ordered the guy to get off of it. The guy refused. The cop couldn't do anything -- there was literally no way to get through the sea of humanity out to see the Sox.

The guy was up on that streetlight for the whole parade.