Crede News

Gene Honda Civic

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

In an effort to sign their lone arbitration-eligible player and massage their acrimonious relationship with agent Scott Boras, the White Sox are letting special assistant Dennis Gilbert handle negotiations with third baseman Joe Crede on a one-year contract.
That's awful telling

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:34 AM)
The fact that he actually got bumped up to AAA after his 2005 season in AA makes me ill.  It seems like the Sox are rushing him because of this very situation.

or possibly seeing how he responds to the challenge of AAA.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
from the white sox perspective = crede's a health risk.... boras will not be tollerated.... crede wont be back after 2006.

It could also be possible that they'll come to some sort of 2-3 year agreement in these negotiations with Crede, motivated in part by Fields's development, and they'll wait and make their decision on Crede once time passes. They're going to have to negotiate this year, and we know our team hates the arbitration process, so once they get past this stage, they won't have to deal with Boras's people for another couple years.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
Well, he responded poorly to the challenge of AA so I don't have much faith in him stepping it up in AAA.

Well at least he'll be moving from an extreme pitchers park in Birmingham to an extreme hitters park in Chicago.

So I think his AVG could rise a little from 2005, he good have a pretty good 2nd half of the season. But that's not the problem. It's his plate discipline, which is currently Joe Borchard like. That should be what he really needs to concentrate on fixing over the next 2 seasons.

Dave Wilder said they thought he was ready for the jump, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. At least we'll see Micah Schnurstein bumped up to AA now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
Well at least he'll be moving from an extreme pitchers park in Birmingham to an extreme hitters park in Charlotte.

So I think his AVG could rise a little from 2005, he good have a pretty good 2nd half of the season. But that's not the problem. It's his plate discipline, which is currently Joe Borchard like. That should be what he really needs to concentrate on fixing over the next 2 seasons.

Dave Wilder said they thought he was ready for the jump, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. At least we'll see Micah Schnurstein bumped up to AA now.

Fixed that for you. No charge.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)

Boras makes me sick to my stomach. THat being said the sox are stuck with him this time. I wouldn't go nuts about it even when he starts the bidding for crede at 5 years 50 Mil. The sox dont like to sign boras players from the market. But remember Crede is not on the market, so boras cant inflate a simple supply demand situation. Id say Crede signs for something like 1.3-1.5 Mil in 2006 and if he cant play enough games or is hindered by his back he will be gone in 07.

People who are still thinking about Fields starting at 3rd in 2007 really need to find some video of him from last year or at least study his stats.

Brutal.

He's still a prospect, but he's hardly a sure thing anymore.

QUOTE(R.J. @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 04:37 AM)
People who are still thinking about Fields starting at 3rd in 2007 really need to find some video of him from last year or at least study his stats.

Brutal.

Prospects are never sure things. Josh struggled last year but it's not fair to write him off after his first full year of pro ball.

Boras is the #1 agent in baseball. You could field a pretty damn good All-Star team with his players. It seems in the past the Sox have throw in the towel because they are afraid of getting out negotiated. At least they are trying in this case.

If I was a player, I'd be knocking on Boras' door and asking him to be my agent.

Let me provide the naive post of the week. Two questions:

(1) If having Boras as his agent means the end of his playing days in Chicago, and he likes the city and team, and success......why wouldn't Crede just get a new agent, at least if the negotiations turn sour?

(2) Isn't this "we won't play with Boras" issue rather immature on KW's part? Cant the just look at numbers and set a years/dollars amount that he simply won't exceed, whether its Boras or anyone else on the other end of the table? Come on, its business, not Christmas dinner!

SFF

Let me provide the naive post of the week.  Two questions:

(1) If having Boras as his agent means the end of his playing days in Chicago, and he likes the city and team, and success......why wouldn't Crede just get a new agent, at least if the negotiations turn sour?

(2) Isn't this "we won't play with Boras" issue rather immature on KW's part?  Cant the just look at numbers and set a years/dollars amount that he simply won't exceed, whether its Boras or anyone else on the other end of the table?  Come on, its business, not Christmas dinner!

SFF

(1) Crede has Boras as his agent because he obviously wants to get the most buck for his bang.

(2) It isn't just KW that has a problem with Boras, it's also Reinsdorf.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 02:59 AM)
The sox dont like to sign boras players from the market.  But remember Crede is not on the market, so boras cant inflate a simple supply demand situation.  Id say Crede signs for something like 1.3-1.5 Mil in 2006 and if he cant play enough games or is hindered by his back he will be gone in 07.

See, you dont understand Boras too well. Boras understands that he is not going to get what he wants out of the White Sox organization, just as well as they understand that they dont want to give him what he wants. So when Boras is in a negotiating situation with the Sox, he will inflate the demand, especially when it is a restricted FA situation. Why does he do this? Well, for one the Sox will reject the demand and then go to arbitration. The Sox despise going to arbitration, and do many things to avoid it. One of the things they could do is put the player on the trading block so they can get value for a player that they probably wont be able to negotiate with. This puts the hammer in Boras' hand because he gets to deal with whatever new team the Sox trade the player to(whether it is arbitration or a contract), and get the deal he wants to make his client happy, and get his big cut.

QUOTE(R.J. @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)

Brutal.

I think you need to look at some video and some stats yourself.... Fields really struggled in the 1st half of the season but in the 2nd half he adjusted more to the pitching and starting hitting much better. Which is the main reason he is going to AAA. He did the same thing his first season too, struggled at first but than adjusted to the pitching and starting hitting really well.

The best thing we can hope for is a one year contract. We all know that Borass's first goal is to get these guy to free agency and Joe won't be any different. This is exactly why I said I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade get done for Contreras that involved Crede, a young starter, and a couple of relievers (one from each side).

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
I think you need to look at some video and some stats yourself.... Fields really struggled in the 1st half of the season but in the 2nd half he adjusted more to the pitching and starting hitting much better.  Which is the main reason he is going to AAA.  He did the same thing his first season too, struggled at first but than adjusted to the pitching and starting hitting really well.

Thats good and all, and maybe he can fix some of his k's. But what about his poor defense at 3rd? His bad footwork? Wasnt it suggested that they even try him at 1st some this year?

I think we are missing a major point of these negotiations. The Sox are letting Dennis Gilbert, a former AGENT, negotiate with Boras. What this does, besides opening up talks between Boras and the White Sox, is put someone with a high bulls***-o-meter right in Boras' grill.

Someone who doesn't have to get angry and rip him in the paper, but can say, "Hey man, I used to do this myself, we both know 'X', so don't try to put one over on me."

KW has done some smart things in the past, but this has got to be one of the most genius things he's done, whether Crede goes to arbitration or gets traded or whatever. Pit agent against agent and let them duke it out.