The Official Soxfest Thread

aboz56

QUOTE(easyw @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
It was creepy. really creepy. These people carrying around stuffed Sox bears, seeking autographs, and coming up with their own long lists for stadium improvements aren't normal.

What's odd about any of the above? If these are criteria of fanactics, I'd rather have them in my stadium than bangwagon jumping "fans" with no attachment to the club.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soxfest is three different groups of people. First off you have your collectible broker folk that are looking to get memorabilla to sell for a profit. They wait in the long lines and try to get as much stuff signed as they can. These I think are the scarier folks. Second you have your autograph seeking fan. They want their 20 seconds of face time with a player and something that they can get to attach themselves with the team. Your third group, the one in which I catagorize myself, is the simple fan. I go mostly for the Q&A sessions, beer, baseball fix in the winter, and see what White Sox cool memorabilia I can get my hands on and what shops I will go to after the fest.

The thing that gets me is the long wait to get in. I waited for 4 hours then got into the opening ceremony. last year I waited 2 hours jsut to get in. I think they need to change somthing. I also think the venue blows it is like a warehouse and very crappy in the basement. The ballroom floor is good. Seeing as it is moving next year maybe this will change.

Jenks Heat - I totally agree with you on the fans. But I have less of a problem with people who are seeking merchandise in an effort to resell it at a higher price - to me, they're just working. I put myself in the fan category as well - I went for the beer, the broads, the Q&A, thew winter baseball fix,... I met some of the players, but the last thing I would ever consider is asking them for is an autograph.

I got there late, so I didn't experience any long lines to get in. I did hear that was awful. they should change the venue - that place smelled like ass.

QUOTE(easyw @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
I just got back from my first and last SoxFest.

There is a difference between "fans" and "fanatics".

It was creepy. really creepy. These people carrying around stuffed Sox bears, seeking autographs, and coming up with their own long lists for stadium improvements aren't normal.

I need to take a shower.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(easyw @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Jenks Heat - I totally agree with you on the fans.  But I have less of a problem with people who are seeking merchandise in an effort to resell it at a higher price - to me, they're just working. I put myself in the fan category as well - I went for the beer, the broads, the Q&A, thew winter baseball fix,... I met some of the players, but the last thing I would ever consider is asking them for is an autograph.

I got there late, so I didn't experience any long lines to get in. I did hear that was awful. they should change the venue - that place smelled like ass.

Palmer House next year according to the promo material.

QUOTE(easyw @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
they should change the venue - that place smelled like ass.

Hmmmmm......which smart-ass remark to choose???

1 Maybe the showers at the Hyatt aren't working?

2 Cub fans will tell you that Sox fans smell that way anyway....

3 Did Woo-Woo get into SoxFest?

I think I'll go with #3.

:D

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
The first step would be to have him actually play center.

Today he expanded on it and said Owens had some sort of arm injury that has or will soon heal. They are supposedly going to stretch his arm out in spring training. KW said today that Jerry Owens is ready to play in the big leagues.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
That's why I was asking.  As far as I know, Owens plays LF and isn't very good in CF.

Talking ot BHAM, we had a better CF in Chris Young (duh) there daily. But when he took days off, it be Blakely in center, not Owens.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Talking ot BHAM, we had a better CF in Chris Young (duh) there daily. But when he took days off, it be Blakely in center, not Owens.

Someone asked Ozzie yesterday whether Anderson would play LF or CF. KW piped right in and said CF. I think his attitude towards Owens playing CF may be a case of him wanting no part of Pods in CF. If Anderson and Owens played at the same time, I'm sure Anderson would be in CF.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Someone asked Ozzie yesterday whether Anderson would play LF or CF. KW piped right in and said CF. I think his attitude towards Owens playing CF may be a case of him wanting no part of Pods in CF. If Anderson and Owens played at the same time, I'm sure Anderson would be in CF.

Did anyone ask KW if they think Pods is a better leadoff hitter than Grady Sizemore? :P

Anyways, it's great to hear they plan on putting Anderson in CF.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Fans gave Crede a monstrous ovation upon the mention of his name by public address announcer Gene Honda. The same was true for Pierzynski, Podsednik, and Neal Cotts, not to mention the chants of 'Moose' for Moose Skowron and the cries of 'Har-old' for bench coach and favorite son Harold Baines.

The biggest cheers clearly came for Konerko, whose name was chanted for close to one minute in appreciation for his great play and his return to the White Sox after going through free agency. The humble first baseman smiled, waved to the crowd and eventually motioned for them to move on.

:headbang

It took a couple of years, but fans realize the Uribe trade wasn't too bad of a move after all and the same could be said for the Podsednik acquisition. It was a far cry from the political debate-like atmosphere from 2004, when one sardonic fan stepped to the microphone and stated, 'Now, that 2004 is over (before it had started), what are your plans for 2005?'

The comment drew a few laughs, at the time, although none from Williams or Guillen. On Friday, the fans recognized Williams' 2005 plan worked out to near perfection.

:D

Edited by SSH2005

Did anyone ask about the following at Q&A or, would anyone bright enough please enlighten me about what was said in that interview?

How is Crede's back?

Who will compete in ST for the last spot in the pen?

How is Thome's back?

Or just any questions about our White Sox that were important, like our veteran players, because I could care less about prospects. They don't mean a s*** to me.

I hope this Anderson kid does better than when I last saw him.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
Did anyone ask about the following at Q&A or, would anyone bright enough please enlighten me about what was said in that interview?

How is Crede's back?

Who will compete in ST for the last spot in the pen?

How is Thome's back?

Or just any questions about our White Sox that were important, like our veteran players, because I could care less about prospects. They don't mean a s*** to me.

I hope this Anderson kid does better than when I last saw him.

They really didn't mention Crede's back, but KW said Thome's back is a non-issue, that he was a lot more concerned about a couple of other guys backs which I guess would be Crede and Hermanson. As to the bullpen, KW seems to like the minor league free agents he signed, thinking one of them may be the next Kelly Wunsch, or Marte. Ozzie did say Munoz has good stuff, but no guts.

They really didn't mention Crede's back, but KW said Thome's back is a non-issue, that he was  a lot more concerned about a couple of other guys backs which I guess would be Crede and Hermanson. As to the bullpen, KW seems to like the minor league free agents he signed, thinking one of them may be the next Kelly Wunsch, or Marte. Ozzie did say Munoz has good stuff, but no guts.

Chad Bentz

Javier Lopez

Arnie Munoz

Stephen Randolph

Paulino Reynoso

One thing is similar about all of the lefty candidates -- control problems. I'm thinking either Bentz or Lopez will win the job. Bentz because of his stuff or Lopez because of his submarine delivery.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
Chad Bentz

Javier Lopez

Arnie Munoz

Stephen Randolph

Paulino Reynoso

One thing is similar about all of the lefty candidates -- control problems.  I'm thinking either Bentz or Lopez will win the job.  Bentz because of his stuff or Lopez because of his submarine delivery.

What does your sig mean?

QUOTE(easyw @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I just got back from my first and last SoxFest.

There is a difference between "fans" and "fanatics".

I need to take a shower.

I agree, any adult looking for another adult's signature is creepy to me....Kids=yes, people older than 13=creepy.

This was my 4th SoxFest and definitely my last....The seminars are my favorite part of SoxFest and they were absolute zoos this past Sat with the limited space....Why can't the Sox hold this at McCormick Place?!?

QUOTE(Allsox @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
I agree, any adult looking for another adult's signature is creepy to me....Kids=yes, people older than 13=creepy.

This was my 4th SoxFest and definitely my last....The seminars are my favorite part of SoxFest and they were absolute zoos this past Sat with the limited space....Why can't the Sox hold this at McCormick Place?!?

When I went to Sox fest, I saw very, very few kids. Everyone in the autograph lines was an adult. That's creepy? :huh

soxfest = crazy, fun weekend.

There will be plenty of inside jokes and stories to go around in the next few days.

Skimming over the comments, I can understand the complaints. The lines were crazy, the whole thing was jam-packed. So if you were going just for the fest, I could see the dissapointment.

For me, it was just a weekend to hang out with a ton of good friends and just have a blast, with soxfest as the backdrop.