Konerko warms to 'C'

southsideirish71

Focus on team

"I don't know about the wearing-the-C thing," he said. "There's a difference in the uniform, and I don't know if I agree with that. It's singling out one person on our team. I don't want to offend everybody, but I think this team operates best when everybody is uniform and the same."
Edited by southsideirish71

i've always been a fan of paulie and i think he rocks... but i think the C would be mocked really bad in may ...we all know how bad he is in may.. we can't have a streaky hitter be the captain..a captain is consistently there ...although i suppose if i was going to give it to someone it would be him

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:36 AM)
i've always been a fan of paulie and i think he rocks... but i think the C would be mocked really bad in may ...we all know how bad he is in may.. we can't have a streaky hitter be the captain..a captain is consistently there ...although i suppose if i was going to give it to someone it would be him

Id give it to Chris Widger... because in all honesty its pretty obvious he defines our team and is our only star.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:42 AM)
the widgenator and joe borchard...guys got leadership qualities written all over him

If Borchard actually panned out he prob would be a good candidate because from everything I heard he is a great guy and spends a lot of times with the fans.... Ill always chant LTP when he comes up to bat :P

Good for Paulie. The 'C' doesn't make him more of a leader, or more valuable than any of his teammates. He is what he is with or without the 'C'. For the past couple of years I've considered PK the captain because he seemed to embody what a captain should be more succinctly than anyone on the team, IMO.

I never got the 'C' on baseball uniforms anyway. Only some teams do it and I think that's best left for the ice, where every team does it and always has. I remember Keith Hernandez wearing the 'C' with the Mets in the 80s, and of course Sosa and most recently Jason Varitek.

With the exception of Sosa, the 'C' appeared only after their respective teams won a World Series, and it didn't help them get back for another. With Sosa, the added imbalance created by the excess tackle-twill letter on his right sleeve drastically eroded his performance, not to mention his at-best underdeveloped leadership qualities, over the course of several years.

Edited by Drew

I'm surprised that Ozzie would announce that he's the captain, or want to go down this road. If anyone is the captain, it's Ozzie, hence calling a MLB manager "The Skipper". Also, in pro sports once you name a person captain, what are you going to do when it's time to dump the guy because he isn't hitting anymore? The naming of captains works in highschool and college, due to the turnover, but in the pro's it's a receipe for disaster. I think it's a dumb idea.

Edited by Irishsox1

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
If Borchard actually panned out he prob would be a good candidate because from everything I heard he is a great guy and spends a lot of times with the fans.... Ill always chant LTP when he comes up to bat  :P

I chant JOE-FOR-4.

Only a very light shade of green on that one.... :)