Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
I don't think so but Boras could be part of this group

The Tigers announced they had agreed to terms with Miller on a major league contract that is believed to include a $3.55 million bonus and a guaranteed September callup. According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the contract guarantees Miller more than $5.4 million, and with escalator clauses tied to his presence on the 25-man roster, Miller could earn nearly $7.5 million. His contract also allows him to opt out early for arbitration.

Andrew Miller LHP stands 6-6 and 210 pounds is the hands down number one prospect in the draft. The problem ans why hey fell in the draft is simple Scott Boras is his agent. Boras is the reason why drafts change so dramatically. Nobody wants to pay Top flight singing money to a draft pick right of the bat, at least not the kind of money Boras wants. Which was rumored to be around 10 million, translation after dealing about 6-7 million.
Edited by southsideirish71

I really do not like Marcus Thames

:lol:

I think the Tigers just hit Liriano well

*edit* The Twins pitching coach was on the radio and said they pulled Liriano because he felt a little sore in his arm, in a different spot than before

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

This weekend should be fun. I hope for close games with no injuries.

Verlander vs Count should be a good matchup. I hope Verlander is rested and not seeing deadarm. Tonight will show that.

Sat showcases two lefties who have struggled as of late. So I don't know what to think of that. It might come down to who pulls the starter first and which bullpen performs better.

Sunday is up for grabs too. I'm predicting Tigers take 2-3 (Homer pick I know but I can't help myself)

Wish I could be there. Should be a great series to watch.

(Would have posted in the game thread but I figured that would be frowned upon :) )

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
This weekend should be fun. I hope for close games with no injuries.

Verlander vs Count should be a good matchup. I hope Verlander is rested and not seeing deadarm. Tonight will show that.

Sat showcases two lefties who have struggled as of late. So I don't know what to think of that. It might come down to who pulls the starter first and which bullpen performs better.

Sunday is up for grabs too. I'm predicting Tigers take 2-3 (Homer pick I know but I can't help myself)

Wish I could be there. Should be a great series to watch.

(Would have posted in the game thread but I figured that would be frowned upon :) )

Your homerism is duly noted .... and summarily dismissed. :)

How dare he predict the team that's 8.5 games up might win 2 out of 3 ;)

The pitching matchups look pretty even, but the Sox have homefield advantage.

2 out of 3 is my goal, but as long as we're not swept it's a good series. (need to win the upcoming series in Detroit though of course)

Good article by Mike Bauman from MLB.COM today. I'll post a few parts of it.

The Tigers were so good for so long this season that they haven't encountered the one thing that almost everybody baseball team comes up against -- a stretch of sustained struggles. Five straight losses do not represent a major slump, but these five losses come at a time of the season when they will be greatly noticed. And because the last three of them came against the White Sox, they will create the general impression that there is once again a race in the American League Central.

The Tigers as a team are relatively new to all of this. They have made a remarkably rapid run from obscurity to the top of the standings. You know they're good. What you don't yet know is how they will handle the recent struggles and the ensuing pressure.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/n...s&fext=.jsp

That's the whole article. Anyway, it just kinda goes over what most of us have been thinking all year. There's absolutely no denying the Tigers are good. They're VERY good. The real test for them is coming, though. We Sox fans saw this exact same movie with our guys last year. We obviously know how that turned out. It's gonna be a very interesting final 6 weeks.

Alot of tigers fans sat near me on sat. well maybe only about 4. After givinig them the typical light hearted crap, we actually had some funny conversations. The one question I really had for one of the guys is why we he buy a Pudge jersey. Besides Bonds, isnt Pudge one of the most obvious cheaters in baseball today? When I buy a jersey, I like to make sure I not only like the player, but the person. It just strikes me odd to wear something representing one of the players who gave baseball a bad name.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
The division race has been over for 2 or 3 weeks now. The Tigers will now win 101 games if they play .500 ball the rest of the way, so just give it up.

teehee

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
I have officially conceded the division to Detroit. I'm now 100% focused on the WC. So for tomorrow and Wednesday -- go Tigers!

teehee

(i'm sure there are more, I just don't feel like looking too hard and these two popped out at me when I opened the thread)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Alot of tigers fans sat near me on sat. well maybe only about 4. After givinig them the typical light hearted crap, we actually had some funny conversations. The one question I really had for one of the guys is why we he buy a Pudge jersey. Besides Bonds, isnt Pudge one of the most obvious cheaters in baseball today? When I buy a jersey, I like to make sure I not only like the player, but the person. It just strikes me odd to wear something representing one of the players who gave baseball a bad name.

I own an Aaron Rowand jersey. :huh

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
To all the Tigers fans, I've got a question:

Is Jim Leyland your god??

Thats definitely the way he's portrayed.

To many.

I think he's a bit overrated. They all seem to say that it's all him, blahblah, and they don't even mention the rookies/near-rookies like Miner, Verlander, Zumaya, and Granderson.

Well I said I'd be here even when they lost. And I'm here. The Tigers got man-handled. This doesn't bode well for the playoffs. I was hoping that they would atleast win one (and I really wanted two) but they didn't. The Sox are back on track and I would say the team to beat (Yankees have the hype the Sox have the team). So I suppose we'll see. I've been saying for monthes that the division wasn't sewn up and we all see that is very true.

I tip my hat to Ozzie and the Sox Team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)

I'd like to add two other thoughts in this vein...

1. Ivan Rodriguez is NOT PUDGE!!! There was a Pudge, who was a catcher, and even played in the same league for a while. You may have heard of him. He's in the Hall of Fame. And I'm sorry but, Mr. Rodriguez, you are no Pudge.

2. Rodriguez really can't call a game can he? Does he have to go to the dugout for signs on EVERY pitch?

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 07:22 AM)
Well I said I'd be here even when they lost. And I'm here. The Tigers got man-handled. This doesn't bode well for the playoffs. I was hoping that they would atleast win one (and I really wanted two) but they didn't. The Sox are back on track and I would say the team to beat (Yankees have the hype the Sox have the team). So I suppose we'll see. I've been saying for monthes that the division wasn't sewn up and we all see that is very true.

I tip my hat to Ozzie and the Sox Team.

:headbang

Very classy, sir.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
I own an Aaron Rowand jersey. :huh

Same :cheers

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
1. Ivan Rodriguez is NOT PUDGE!!! There was a Pudge, who was a catcher, and even played in the same league for a while. You may have heard of him. He's in the Hall of Fame. And I'm sorry but, Mr. Rodriguez, you are no Pudge.

:)