which current sox players will eventually be HOFers?

Hideaway Lights

There was some doubt in 2003-4, but I think we all now know Thomas is probably a shoe-in to go in as a White Sox whenever he finally gets the call 5 years after he calls it a career.

However, which current White Sox (that have spent most of their career with the team) do you think will eventually be hall of famers? I think Buehrle and Konerko are the most obvious choices, but who else? Could Konerko necessarily even make it with 500 homers and a .280 career average?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
There was some doubt in 2003-4, but I think we all now know Thomas is probably a shoe-in to go in as a White Sox whenever he finally gets the call 5 years after he calls it a career.

However, which current White Sox (that have spent most of their career with the team) do you think will eventually be hall of famers? I think Buehrle and Konerko are the most obvious choices, but who else? Could Konerko necessarily even make it with 500 homers and a .280 career average?

i would say probably just Thome(even though hes only been with the sox 1 yr).

Buehrle? :ph34r:

Edited by Melissa1334

yeah, I meant just current sox who have always been with the team...

However, which current White Sox (that have spent most of their career with the team) do you think will eventually be hall of famers?

also, why wouldn't buehrle be considered? He'll probably get 200 wins in his career, which should be the benchmark for current pitchers. That's 14 years of winning 15+ games a year. not many pitchers nowadays do that.

Edited by Hideaway Lights

Konerko needs 255 HR's to reach 500. He'll be 31 years old once the season begins. At a realistic rate of 35 HR's a year, it'll take him approximately seven more seasons to reach the milestone -- which by that point shouldn't matter much. We're also assuming his hip condition doesn't worsen over the forthcoming seasons.

You have to put it this way -- was Konerko one of the best 1B during his peak seasons in MLB? Top 10, perhaps, but not enough for entrance into the HOF.

Buehrle may possibly enter, but he'll need to pitch on-par with career numbers for the next 15 years. All the while collecting over 10 victories per season. It's a long shot, but more realistic than Konerko as Buehrle will likely outlast Paul in the majors.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
Konerko needs 255 HR's to reach 500. He'll be 31 years old once the season begins. At a realistic rate of 35 HR's a year, it'll take him approximately seven more seasons to reach the milestone -- which by that point shouldn't matter much. We're also assuming his hip condition doesn't worsen through the forthcoming baseball seasons.

You have to put it this way -- was Konerko one of the best 1B during his peak seasons in MLB? Top 10, perhaps, but not enough for entrance into the HOF.

Buehrle may possibly enter, but he'll need to pitch on-par with career numbers for the next 15 years. All the while collecting over 10 victories per season. It's a long shot, but more realistic than Konerko as Buehrle will likely outlast Paul in the majors.

Agreed, Konerko's going to end up with good numbers, but they're not going to be on the level of what a HOFer should have in this era of baseball.

Jim Thome

Possibilities: Mark Buehlre (would need to rebound from last season and pitch like he did most of his career and get to that 250 win plateu...which I think is possible if he becomes the Buehrle of old).

Rare Possibility: Paul Konerko (would need to be very good for another 6 or 7 years though)

here's an interesting stat though

Pedro Martinez seems to be one of those "sure HOFers" that is tauted as being a lock whenever he name comes up...he only has 197 wins!

only 36 active pitchers (as of 2005) have more than 103 career wins! And some of those guys are ancient (clemens, johnson, maddux, glavine), and some are relievers now (fassero, gordon...is fassero even still in the league)?

what will be the new benchmark for wins for a hall of famer? I don't think anyone will ever even get 250 again. I think we need to look at 200 with the way the game has changed

I think Buehrle can get to 200.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
Bobby Jenks..after he finishes his career with over 400 saves. :D

Actually I wouldn't totally discount the idea he may have the best chance. Konerko? As others have said, he just doesn't have the numbers. Buerhle? It will take him at least eight or nine more years to accumulate the wins he needs, but the problem is that we assume all those years will be spent here. The only other guy I see with the tools it may take to get to the HOF is, quite frankly, Jenks.

SFF

I'd say none - Thome could get in, but being a DH in the AL is going to be held against him.

Wouldn't it also depend on playoff exposure? For instance, if Buehrle does re-sign with the White Sox and the Sox go on to play in another 6 post-seasons with a World Series or two in there and Buehrle is consistently our best pitcher...wouldn't that play into hof selection? Not sure, just asking.

But, I think no one on teh current roster.