2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 07:33 AM)
The thing that makes Anderson the odd man out is that Pods has looked good (I can't beleive I typed that) and Erstad has been the best hitter on the team. Ozuna will play over Anderson against lefties as he can actually hit them and has become a servicable outfielder. The third game of the Oakland series will be the first time Anderson may see the field to give Erstad, Thome or Konerko a day off.

I'm not yet ready to say that Podsednik has looked "Good". I'll take the OPS over .800 for the week, but that 1/3 stolen bases really eats into that OBP. Especially since Victor Martinez was the guy throwing.

Edited by Balta1701

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
I'm not yet ready to say that Podsednik has looked "Good". I'll take the OPS over .800 for the week, but that 1/3 stolen bases really eats into that OBP. Especially since Victor Martinez was the guy throwing.

Exactly. "good" is not the right word.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
I think you guys are ALLLLL wrong!!

Pods is hitting .364 with a .462(FOUR SIXTY TWO!!) OBP!!!

Who cares about SBs!!!

Since the sample size is still small this works out quite well.

Podsednik is 1/3 on stolen bases, therefore he has been thrown out 2 times. If you do the simple exercise of dropping 2 times on base from the calculation of his OBP, which is for all practical purposes what happens on a CS, that knocks his OBP down to .308 from .461.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Probably a little bit of truth in that, but let's not overlook that Erstad has been playing very well so far and Podsednik has been pretty serviceable enough.

Only thing keeping him down is the CSs, in my opinion. Doesn't look as quick and it remains to be seen if he ever regains that speed (probably not). Scoring on that throwing error a couple of games ago is the type of thing he has to do to remain productive, which is getting on base and being somewhat disruptive.

Now, whether he can continue to be as productive throughout the rest of the season is a whole 'nother argument (again, probably not), but so far Erstad and Pods have done well enough to keep the ba argument fairly mute.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
Since the sample size is still small this works out quite well.

Podsednik is 1/3 on stolen bases, therefore he has been thrown out 2 times. If you do the simple exercise of dropping 2 times on base from the calculation of his OBP, which is for all practical purposes what happens on a CS, that knocks his OBP down to .308 from .461.

Adjusted stats:

.182/.308/.456/.764

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
Adjusted stats:

.182/.308/.456/.764

Were his caught stealings after hits or after walks? I didn't go that far because I didn't know that answer :P . Also, if we're taking this into account, did we give him 1 extra base into his OPS? I'll grant that if I'm taking away part of his OBP for being thrown out, he should get an extra base into his OPS for the 1 he did steal.

Actually, I wonder if that might serve some utility in evaluating leadoff hitters. For every stolen base, give them an extra base into their slugging %age, for every CS, take away a walk, and see what happens.

Podsednik's actual 05 numbers (OBP slug OPS):

.351 .349 .700

Balta adjusted #'s:

.308 .465 .773

Interesting. Suggests that as a leadoff man, Podsednik wasn't terrible in 05 in that he got a lot of extra bases, but gave up some in terms of OBP as a tradeoff.

Podsednik's actual 06 numbers

.330 .353 .683

Balta adjusted #'s

.297 .429 .726

So in 06, Podsednik's throw-outs hurt his OBP a fair amount and he didn't steal nearly enough bases to make up the difference, even with the added power. I wonder if this might be a useful way of evaluating leadoff hitters.

Edited by Balta1701

Yes, I gave him an extra TB for the stolen base and you're right atleast one of the caught stealing came after a BB but even then it's going to raise his AVG but hurt his OBP if I subtract it that way. I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I wonder what Jimmy Rollins' numbers would look like from last year. He already has a high SLG% adding in the SB would just make him even more of a beast.

The fact is, I do not like Pods at all but he has won one game and had a great hustle play to give us a three run cushion that kept the tying run from coming to the plate in another.

The sample size is incredible small but he looks good to me sorry.

Pull and recalibrate the stats of Thome and Dye both which were humiliated by Joe Borowski. These guys are gettting paid a whole hell of a-lot more than Pods but thus far he has added to this club. Anything productive by Dye and Thome late in the last two losses and the Sox could easily be at 4-1. I believe in the end they will help out but Pods thus far has rightly kept Anderson off of the field which was where my points were.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
I wonder what Jimmy Rollins' numbers would look like from last year. He already has a high SLG% adding in the SB would just make him even more of a beast.

I wonder if I should just slap together a spreadsheet to do this.

Rollins' actual #'s last year:

.334 .478 .812

Balta's reformulation:

.327 .529 .856

Chicago Cubs

Carlos Zambrano reverted to form on Saturday, giving the Cubs their fourth straight quality start. Wade Miller blew the string Sunday, but the Cubs are going to be OK. The hitters you would expect to hit are hitting (Soriano's fine), and they have the Astros and Reds this week.

Yeah, good call on that Astros thing.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
Rangers DFA'd Haigwood today.

thats strange... did they need room on the 40?

I'd gladly pick him back up... can never have too much pitching, especially young lefties. Yeah, this move makes no sense by the Rangers right now. And they traded Fabio for Haigwood...

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
thats strange... did they need room on the 40?

I'd gladly pick him back up... can never have too much pitching, especially young lefties. Yeah, this move makes no sense by the Rangers right now. And they traded Fabio for Haigwood...

Haigwood was always a little bit like Liotta to me...he has to have EVERYTHING going right for him to be successful in the big leagues.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
Haigwood was always a little bit like Liotta to me...he has to have EVERYTHING going right for him to be successful in the big leagues.

Well, that may be so, but it is always nice to have a surplus of young lefties, either for trade bait, or maybe they do succeed and go in the rotation/pen. If the Rangers can't find a suitable trade partner for him, and either have to send him to the minors (waivers) or just release him, I would gladly take him.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:21 AM)
We may still have a great season. It still probably will all depend on pitching, but does anybody else think

our offseason tinkering stunk?

Burn me at the stake but I am not an Erstad fan.

How dare you not appreciate all of the intangibles Erstad brings to the table.

I could anger everybody by saying our OF hasn't been the same since the loss of ... Rowand.

I better duck on that statement.

Would everybody agree our first eight games have not been too encouraging?