Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
About a month ago, I decided I was going to see all of the movies that are getting consideration for Best Picture and Best Actor. The only exception is Revolutionary Road. The preview did absolutely nothing for me, and it looked extremely boring.

I've done the same, but add milk to that

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mate- Would you mind posting this? Thank you for your support! HJ

Hey everyone -

It’s Hugh Jackman, sending this note from freezing Vancouver. I have read a lot of your online comments regarding the footage that we are currently shooting and I share your passion for the Wolverine character and the movie - I owe it all to you guys!

I wanted to reach out and let you know that due to scheduling conflicts with certain cast members and location/weather considerations, we had to wait until now to shoot a couple of scenes. Please rest assured that WOLVERINE will be badass and hopefully meet all of your expectations. I am stoked by the positive response to the teaser, which clearly reflects the tone and scope of the film. If you like that, we’ve got much more in store!

In the meantime, here’s an exclusive shot of some characters you may recognize…

Cheers,

Hugh

Email from Hugh Jackman

That's the reason for reshoots.

Q: We’ll soon see you in X-Men Origins. What’s it like to play a comic book character?

A: I don’t think it was different at all. Victor Creed/Sabretooth reminded me a lot of my character in Defiance, and, not to get too Shakespearean, but Iago in Othello. I didn’t find anything really unfamiliar except the weightlifting regimen I had to go through to pump up for the role. I’m a big fan of the X-Men comic books, and we definitely got to explore the dark side in an R-rated movie.

Q&A With Liev Schreiber

If it is rated R, I got high hopes for this one.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
Saw Gran Torino last night, and I thought it was excellent. What didn't you like about it?

The dialogue was corny. The story was predictable and slow to get going. The acting was not very good, including Clint. But the Academy loves Clint so he just might get nominated.

The best films I've seen so far are Doubt and Milk. Doubt is something that stays with you after the movie is over and the performances are all superb. Milk is not your ordinary biopic. The film is mainly about the politics of Harvey Milk and you leave the film inspired. Again, the acting is top notch, especially Penn, Brolin, and Franco.

QUOTE (Greenman @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 03:34 AM)
You guys gotta go see My Bloody Valentine 3D

It was so badass, especially if you are into movies that are just pretty much all out gore and violence.. the 3D was pretty sweet as well..

Like I said, you like badass gore movies it is awesome

I thought the 3D sucked personally.

I was fairly close up thinking it would be better but didn't pop out as much as I'd expect.

Took my eyes a while to adjust at the beginning because of the blurriness.

Movie was plain ok, violence scenes were nice but eh.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
The dialogue was corny. The story was predictable and slow to get going. The acting was not very good, including Clint. But the Academy loves Clint so he just might get nominated.

The best films I've seen so far are Doubt and Milk. Doubt is something that stays with you after the movie is over and the performances are all superb. Milk is not your ordinary biopic. The film is mainly about the politics of Harvey Milk and you leave the film inspired. Again, the acting is top notch, especially Penn, Brolin, and Franco.

Predictable I'll give you, but

I thought it almost moved too fast at times in his transition from racist to friend (gross oversimplification, I know).

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I thought the 3D sucked personally.

I was fairly close up thinking it would be better but didn't pop out as much as I'd expect.

Took my eyes a while to adjust at the beginning because of the blurriness.

Movie was plain ok, violence scenes were nice but eh.

I was kinda high and in the middle and the pop was pretty nice

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 01:19 PM)
Predictable I'll give you, but

I thought it almost moved too fast at times in his transition from racist to friend (gross oversimplification, I know).

Yes, it was just a little too easy how after about a few weeks or so after the kid tried to steal his Gran Torino he let him borrow it for his date. What I meant by slow was that at the beginning a lot of Clint's racist remarks were just unnecessary. We got the point that he's a racist after a few remarks but more just kept being added on that were separate from the scene. I realize this is how the character talks but we don't need to see every little racist joke he tells at a bar. It was a bit of overkill.

I tried to watch it and turned it off quickly (Happy-Go-Lucky). Very annoying.

Saw The House Bunny and Frost/Nixon (quite the contrast in movies!). Really liked Frost/Nixon, but the box office for that movie has been a disappointment...maybe political fatigue. Frank Langella was awesome though, much better than Anthony Hopkins I think in the Oliver Stone movie.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
About a month ago, I decided I was going to see all of the movies that are getting consideration for Best Picture and Best Actor. The only exception is Revolutionary Road. The preview did absolutely nothing for me, and it looked extremely boring.

That's what I thought, too. "Monotonous suburban life can lead to a miserable existence" -- tell me something that isn't blatantly obvious.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
I tried to watch it and turned it off quickly (Happy-Go-Lucky). Very annoying.

Saw The House Bunny and Frost/Nixon (quite the contrast in movies!). Really liked Frost/Nixon, but the box office for that movie has been a disappointment...maybe political fatigue. Frank Langella was awesome though, much better than Anthony Hopkins I think in the Oliver Stone movie.

What? No review of The House Bunny????

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
That's what I thought, too. "Monotonous suburban life can lead to a miserable existence" -- tell me something that isn't blatantly obvious.

I don't know. I thought it was more complex than that and really liked the performances. Coupled together, it is just an interesting study mendez does, who is the american dream for? And the perpetual literary topic of what does it mean to be a man? A woman? Its just interesting to see.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Was that a PG13? I also cant stand Anna Faris, she makes me wanna yark.

While I was teasing Caulfield for seeing it, my wife rented it, so I've seen it as well. I'm pretty sure it was PG-13, and it was awful, even by the standards of the stupid comedy.

Edited by Disco72

Vantage point was a complete mess. The rewind gimmick was so annoying but the last part had a pretty good car chase.

What was the double crossed secret agent motive? What were they going to do with the real president? What was their motive for setting up the attack there?

Burn After Reading had a good story, but I just didn't find it very funny.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
and I really didnt like the wrestler. The ending reminded me of the last episode of Sopranos.

I've heard other people say this & I still don't get it. I think the ending of The Wrestler is very clear.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
I've heard other people say this & I still don't get it. I think the ending of The Wrestler is very clear.

I actually liked the

slightly ambiguous

ending.

Watching him die in the ring would have done nothing for me I wouldn't have any new sense of fulfillment watching his heart explode. It's pretty obvious what was about to happen there's no need to show it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
I actually liked the

slightly ambiguous

ending.

Watching him die in the ring would have done nothing for me I wouldn't have any new sense of fulfillment watching his heart explode. It's pretty obvious what's about to happen there's no need to show it.

+1