Trade Garland?

southsider2k5

I don't know if anyone has really noticed, but Garland has been as bad, or worse than, Jose Contreras over the last couple of months. Should we be thinking about dumping both Contreras and Garland after this season? Or maybe keeping Contreras and dealing Garland, as he would be a FA after 2008 anyway? Maybe in hindsite should we have taken the Astros deal without Hunter Pence, and kept McCarthy?

Thoughts?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
I don't know if anyone has really noticed, but Garland has been as bad, or worse than, Jose Contreras over the last couple of months. Should we be thinking about dumping both Contreras and Garland after this season? Or maybe keeping Contreras and dealing Garland, as he would be a FA after 2008 anyway? Maybe in hindsite should we have taken the Astros deal without Hunter Pence, and kept McCarthy?

Thoughts?

Garland makes $12 million next year, and is going to want even more per year after. I think its an upset if KW doesn't at least try to deal him this winter. If he continues to get shelled, that may be a difficult task, especially if you are looking for a big return.

Edited by Dick Allen

If Kenny's serious about making another run in '08, Jon isn't going to be dealt this winter. But if this squad struggles out of the gate again next year, I'd be pretty upset if Kenny didn't put Jon on the block in early June.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
I've been all for trading him since the beginning of the season. Removing both Garland and Contreras from the payroll would allow for some very nice financial flexibility come this offseason.

Who are your starting 5 next year in that situation? You might get something for Garland, not so much for Contreras.

Jon Garland has some bad games and we want to trade him right away?! Mark Buerhle had some bad games too in fact a stretch of them last year. Jon is a quality pitcher and will turn things around. If you trade any of our starting group, who is going to take their place? Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
If Kenny's serious about making another run in '08, Jon isn't going to be dealt this winter. But if this squad struggles out of the gate again next year, I'd be pretty upset if Kenny didn't put Jon on the block in early June.

I thought so to. But how can we honestly expect to turn this team around in one year with holes at leadoff, SS, etc. without bumping up the payroll up to 120+ million and/or trading away all of our top prospects, both of which I doubt he does. I am a big Garland supporter, but if trading Garland could allow us to get a SS and leadoff man, while freeing up money to sign a CF and perhaps bullpen arm, I think it would be a no brainer. Believe it or not, we have pretty good starting pitching depth throughout the system.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
depends. If we get only garbage offered for him, we'd be best served to keep him.

And because of the way he has pitched down the stretch, that is exactly what will happen. Garland will be on the south side next year. If he pitches well in the first half then he will be gone at the trading deadline. In fact, I think that it was a mistake not to trade him on July 31. His value will never be higher than it was then.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
Jon Garland has some bad games and we want to trade him right away?! Mark Buerhle had some bad games too in fact a stretch of them last year. Jon is a quality pitcher and will turn things around. If you trade any of our starting group, who is going to take their place? Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Or you could trade a slightly above league average starting pitcher who will make $12M next year and fill a couple other holes with the return. It's kind of funny that this sort of talk bothers you so much seeing as how Buehrle was being shopped hard at the beginning of the season and Garland has nearly been dealt twice since joining the team (including one such deal that broke down just this past offseason).

Jon should have been traded awhile ago when his value was at its highest. Instead, Garland has just proven himself to be an average (or worse) league pitcher, something that he's always been with the exception of his 2005 season.

It's starting to look like the best way for us to have a chance to be good soon like KW wants is get some offense for our starting pitching and payroll flexibility, and if you can trade Garland to achieve part 1 and Contreras to acheive part 2, I'm all for it. The problem is Egbert and Gio are unknowns, but it might be worth the risk when you consider how much money it saves us and how good Gio and Eggy look, also keeping in mind that perhaps we could sign a CF this offseason with that freed up money in this senario, filling yet another hole.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

If Jon Garland could be resigned at $ close to what Vazquez is signed for, I'd hold onto Garland and try my best to deal Javy. I could be wrong in that, but I still just trust Jon more after watching Javy pitch.

If that can't happen...then JG must go.

Either way, one of these 2 must be moved this offseason to clear some payroll room and make room for at least one of these young guys to come in.

I'd have dealt Jon at the deadline for a lot and I'd do the same over the off-season. All that said I still have tons of faith in Jon but you can see right now he's not quite right. He still isn't close to being as bad as Jose has been, although he has had a handful of hideous starts the past 4 weeks or so.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
I'd have dealt Jon at the deadline for a lot and I'd do the same over the off-season. All that said I still have tons of faith in Jon but you can see right now he's not quite right. He still isn't close to being as bad as Jose has been, although he has had a handful of hideous starts the past 4 weeks or so.

How exactly would you deal him for "a lot"? He'll be a rent-a-pitcher coming off a rough year with talk of a "knot" in the last two years?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
How exactly would you deal him for "a lot"? He'll be a rent-a-pitcher coming off a rough year with talk of a "knot" in the last two years?

Jon Garland is better then Jason Jennings and I assume he is considered better then Jason Jennings around baseball as well. And last time I checked, Colorado got a pretty good deal for him.

You don't trade Garland unless you're getting kings ransom back. We all know what he can do. Hell before this tough stretch he had an ERA of 3.15.

I have always been a big Garland supporter. He's just leaving the ball up right now that ends up going into the stands or hit hard.

As far as Contreras... no one wants him. When he's terrible he's TERRIBLE.

Only if a team offers you a good deal (e.g Bill Bavasi overpays).

I'm worried that his performances recently and the health of his shoulder will have decreased his value, from what it was at the deadline.