WOOT! THREE WAY TIE FOR LAST PLACE IN MLB!

kapkomet

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
If we don't establish it and drill it into people's heads, they're going to ask why we don't draft someone like Felix Hernandez. I still see the occasional "let's trade the top pick instead" post.

Ok, that's fair.

So for those who don't know you CAN NOT trade draft picks and you CAN NOT draft non-residents of the USA/Canadia/US Territories. High School players have to graduate and not attend any classes at college in order to be eligible, students at 4 year colleges must be either seniors or graduates or over the age of 20 and you can draft any Junior College player you like, doesn't matter if they're a freshman or Junior they're eligible.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 04:36 AM)
Hope for the future? One draft pick?

My gosh, how misguided some are.

Free agents ... victories ... foreign signees.

The draft? One pick? No way.

We're talking, having the opportunity of picking the best guy of 32, at least 20 times.

At least see the silver lining for once, because I doubt the Sox will be here again at least for another 15 to 20 years.

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
We're talking, having the opportunity of picking the best guy of 32, at least 20 times.

At least see the silver lining for once, because I doubt the Sox will be here again at least for another 15 to 20 years.

Exactly. I don't understand why people are in a fuss about this. It's a s***hole season, and the ONLY silver lining is we finally can get an impact player in the draft, which hasn't happened for 20 years. It's the only positive in what's been a terrible 2007 campaign.

If Tampa takes a position player no matter how great it is over an A rated pitcher they should be dismantled. Another bat would be great for them but at some point they need pitching of some sort. They are the anti-White Sox when it comes to drafting it seems.

Let's hope it pans out being the reason the Trialblazers took Sam Bowie instead of Jordan with the Sox getting the better end of the deal.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 02:36 AM)

Give it up. You're not going to change the minds of those that think a number 1 pick in the draft will put the Sox back in the World Series. You're right, but being right rarely matters in sports and in life anymore.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Give it up. You're not going to change the minds of those that think a number 1 pick in the draft will put the Sox back in the World Series. You're right, but being right rarely matters in sports and in life anymore.

Who actually believes one pick alone will place us back into the World Series?

The issue here is, looking past these last few weeks, what's better for the future of this ballclub -- winning every game for pride, or losing every game for the possibility of obtaining the 1st pick and having the entire field of talent available to us?

At worst (from my perspective), even a mini winning streak shouldn't knock us out of the Top 10. And judging from recent seasons, players such as Jay Bruce, Tim Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw were available around 10-12. We shouldn't all the sudden have no talent available when our opportunity comes to select. Hell, I'm expecting an impact player at whichever position; it's just easier to have our choice at #1 -3 than #7-10.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 03:36 AM)

Greg-

If it makes you feel better, there are some of us who still won't actively root against the Sox. But, I don't really care if they win or lose, either. If they win I'm happy, if they lose they get closer to a better pick and I am also happy. Works well either way, really. What is most important, to me, is getting playing time for some of the younger players - that should be the emphasis. And whatever they do, they do.

f it makes you feel better, there are some of us who still won't actively root against the Sox. But, I don't really care if they win or lose, either. If they win I'm happy, if they lose they get closer to a better pick and I am also happy. Works well either way, really. What is most important, to me, is getting playing time for some of the younger players - that should be the emphasis. And whatever they do, they do.

I agree with your position. What will be will be ... that's fine with me.

I just don't understand those who copy Cub fans and actively want us to lose.

I don't get it.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
I agree with your position. What will be will be ... that's fine with me.

I just don't understand those who copy Cub fans and actively want us to lose.

I don't get it.

Here you go:

Wins don't do anything for the franchise at the moment.

Losses could.

Understand?

Here you go:

Wins don't do anything for the franchise at the moment.

Losses could.

Understand?

No I do not understand.

a.) Wins may not do anything for the franchise "at the moment" as you say.

They can help young players' confidence for the future and please the fans who pay top dollar to see the team WIN, not lose to get some draft pick who the team might be too cheap to sign anyway and will be four seasons from even making the big league club.

b.) You say "losses could." Could is the key word. Since there's no guarantee, I prefer WINS.

So NO I do not understand.

Can you try again?

GO SOX!

I wouldnt really care where we picked as long as we made a good pick. But the sox have proved that they dont draft the best guys out there, and i think an oppurtunity like a #1 pick would force the sox to draft the best and not the most signable.

Nobody can deny that a team needs a good draft and development to succeed. Look at the Red Sox, yes they have expensive guys with heavy contracts but they can afford those because they have younger guys playing key roles cheaply.

I dont think KW and JR would ever pass up the next Pujols or ARod

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 04:24 AM)
No I do not understand.

a.) Wins may not do anything for the franchise "at the moment" as you say.

They can help young players' confidence for the future and please the fans who pay top dollar to see the team WIN, not lose to get some draft pick who the team might be too cheap to sign anyway and will be four seasons from even making the big league club.

b.) You say "losses could." Could is the key word. Since there's no guarantee, I prefer WINS.

So NO I do not understand.

Can you try again?

GO SOX!

Do you even realize how quickly college players who are drafted in the first few picks are making the majors these days? Guys like Braun, Lincecum, Zimmerman, Gordon, Troy T. Morrow, Verlander, etc. all made the majors within 2 years or so.