Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

CHICAGO -- For the past two or three years, Jon Garland has been the focus of Hot Stove trade rumors where the White Sox are concerned.

In fact, the rumor mill had the right-hander all but traded to Houston during the final day of the 2007 Winter Meetings in Orlando. But when the ensuing season began, there was Garland, back on the mound for the White Sox, serving as a fixture within the team's deep starting rotation.

On Monday, those rumors finally became reality.

Garland, 28, was shipped to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in exchange for shortstop Orlando Cabrera and cash considerations. The addition of Cabrera provides the upgrade up the middle sought by the White Sox, with Cabrera recently capturing his second Gold Glove and driving in 86 runs while topping .300 (at .301) for the first time in his 11-year career.

Monday's move could make Juan Uribe expendable, move Uribe to second base or put Uribe into a utility role with the White Sox. Cabrera is a strong contact hitter, with just 493 strikeouts over 5,301 career at-bats, and could serve as the lineup's perfect No. 2 hitter after scoring a career-high 101 runs last season.

Cabrera, 33, earns $9 million in 2008, marking the final year of his current four-year deal. He has 112 career playoff at-bats, including hitting .200 against the White Sox during the 2005 American League Championship Series, and was part of the Red Sox 2004 World Series championship squad.

By moving Garland, the White Sox took $12 million off the books for 2008, while also seemingly opening a rotation spot for both John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- assuming general manager Ken Williams does not add another veteran arm to the rotation. Garland posted a 92-81 record and a 4.41 ERA in 246 games (223 starts) over eight years in Chicago.

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Quick question...

What teams might want Uribe? And for what role?

a team needing solid defense and a jerk and pull home run swing that should net 20 hr and 70 rbi's but can't do anything else at the plate.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
Yeah, I would've liked this deal A LOT more if it were done BEFORE the decision to pick up the option on Uribe's deal. Who in the hell is going to want Juan at $4.5 million? Or does Kenny actually want to pay a utility infielder that much?

Agreed. If you're thinking you'll get another first-round pick next year and clear money for some good purpose (Andruw Jones...), well, okay. It's not what I wanted, but okay. But the money you clear in this deal will be used to pay for...the backup to the guy you just traded for. Wtf kind of deal is that?

Ugh...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Quick question...

What teams might want Uribe? And for what role?

Who knows. Uribe might actually come in handy this season in a utility role. Unfortunately that's a lot of f'n money for a utility player but I think it's worth it to keep him instead of trading him for probably nothing.

whitesox.com story says:

"By moving Garland, the White Sox took $12 million off the books for 2008, while also seemingly opening a rotation spot for both John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- assuming general manager Ken Williams does not add another veteran arm to the rotation."

$12M is a lot...this is the Carlos Lee trade, and Jon Garland is no Carlos Lee talent-wise, imho. Of course, Carlos was a clubhouse tool...but didn't it seem as though Garland never quite enjoyed his time here anyway? Remember the "Judy Garland" references. Plus, all said and done, we just got a .300 hitting gold glove shortstop for Matt Friggin' Karchner.

So lighten up, fellas. Give Kenny some slack. It's NOVEMBER 19, not MARCH 19.

I still want Uribe moved. He's not going to give you good at bats late in the game, so his value rests with his defense.

The more I think about it, the more I like Cabrera, but I'm still a little disappointed with what we get back for Garland til I find out the cash.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
I still want Uribe moved. He's not going to give you good at bats late in the game, so his value rests with his defense.

The more I think about it, the more I like Cabrera, but I'm still a little disappointed with what we get back for Garland til I find out the cash.

Don't expect the cash to be that much...it rarely ever is.

QUOTE(buckweaver @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
    whitesox.com story says:

"By moving Garland, the White Sox took $12 million off the books for 2008, while also seemingly opening a rotation spot for both John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- assuming general manager Ken Williams does not add another veteran arm to the rotation."

$12M is a lot...this is the Carlos Lee trade, and Jon Garland is no Carlos Lee talent-wise, imho. Of course, Carlos was a clubhouse tool...but didn't it seem as though Garland never quite enjoyed his time here anyway? Remember the "Judy Garland" references. Plus, all said and done, we just got a .300 hitting gold glove shortstop for Matt Friggin' Karchner.

So lighten up, fellas. Give Kenny some slack. It's NOVEMBER 19, not MARCH 19.

Very few people are lamenting the loss of Garland. It just what we perceive the haul should be. Cabrera is a good player. But this says KW believes the 90 loss team was smoke and mirrors and we are closer to the 05 team than the 07 team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
    Who knows. Uribe might actually come in handy this season in a utility role. Unfortunately that's a lot of f'n money for a utility player but I think it's worth it to keep him instead of trading him for probably nothing.

i'd personally trade him for nothing.....not even a bag of balls....literally nothing as long as that 4.5 mil could come off the books.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
    I'm with you man, I like the deal. It always hurts to lose a quality starting pitcher but he had to be traded and we needed a real SS and a #2 hitter. I just hope the kid pitchers(Danks.Floyd and Gio) are ready and to quote Denny Green"be who we thought they were". But lets face it we weren't bad in 2007 because of the pitching as much as it was because of the hitting.

Why did he HAVE to be traded? He was the most consistent pitcher we had. Our rotation sucks now. Three question marks, a piece of crap (Contreras), and our ace. Danks and Floyd should NOT be both in there - trade someone to get a good pitcher or two.

Now we have two shortstops. Does one get moved to either 2B or 3B? Is this a precursor to a trade for Miguel Cabrera or another 3B?

For the record, I trust Kenny. Right now, as it stands, I don't understand this move. But I hope I do in the future.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
    You know what.......if you care.....I think we made a good trade for both teams. We have a GG shortstop and we have legitimate depth on the infield. I still think Uribe would be a GG 3B and the Sox can move both Fields and Crede this offseason if need be.

The only way we move Fields is if we can get Cabrera. You dont move cheap young position players in a system devoid of position talent for more old players who make lots of money.

Don't know if this has been mentioned -- forgive me if it already has been, I'm just seeing this -- but my first thought upon seeing this was (and I'm being completely honest here), "Hey, at least Cabrera is likely to be a type-A free agent at year's end while Garland would have to replicate 2005 to be type-A."

It's another 'meh' trade from Kenny. Cabrera is a valuable player and when compared to Garland, it seems like they're both of equal value, but I'd much rather see this team get younger, not get another 30-something year old.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
    Will do.

Can we disable your account then?

No one else seemed to be over-reacting, so I thought I should. I just think Cabrera is not what the Sox need -- Jon Garland + $7M(?) for a lifetime .320 OBP in second spot in the batting order seems like a terrible misuse of resources to me. I'm utterly unimpressed by Williams work over the last year -- not that he or anyone else would care. And of course Cabrera could hit over .300 again this season and I'll look more like an idiot than usual. But I just don't like Williams apparent plan. At all.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
    Why did he HAVE to be traded? He was the most consistent pitcher we had. Our rotation sucks now. Three question marks, a piece of crap (Contreras), and our ace. Danks and Floyd should NOT be both in there - trade someone to get a good pitcher or two.

Vaz isnt exactly a question mark, check again.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
    Well. We have saved ourselves at least 6 million bucks next season. Take uribe out of the lockeroom and we've saved about 10 million bucks.

That does sound nice - $10M to play with. Trade Uribe for, really, anything prospect-wise, and put Bourgeois/Getz/Ozuna in the utility INF role. Then go play with that $10M.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
    That does sound nice - $10M to play with. Trade Uribe for, really, anything prospect-wise, and put Bourgeois/Getz/Ozuna in the utility INF role. Then go play with that $10M.

With this young rotation we are in need of an extremely solid bullpen. Either that or we are looking to take on salary from someone, or using it for Rowand.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
    No one else seemed to be over-reacting, so I thought I should. I just think Cabrera is not what the Sox need -- Jon Garland + $7M(?) for a lifetime .320 OBP in second spot in the batting order seems like a terrible misuse of resources to me. I'm utterly unimpressed by Williams work over the last year -- not that he or anyone else would care. And of course Cabrera could hit over .300 again this season and I'll look more like an idiot than usual. But I just don't like Williams apparent plan. At all.

Could you share with us his plan? Because I sure don't know what it is.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
    Next Up:

Sign Andruw Jones

Trade for Crisp

Trade Crede

Sign/Trade for Reliever

LF Crisp

SS Cabrera

DH Thome

1B Kornerko

CF Jones

RF Dye

CA Pierzynski