Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
danks was a top 50 prospect in baseball heading into this year....broadway egbert and floyd at this points in their careers are nowhere near sniffing the top 100 let alone top 50....even after struggling in the second half...danks value (at least what it would be on the trade market) is quite a bit higher than those guys mentioned not named gio....gio and danks have a chance to be #3 starters....those other guys project as #5s

My point was why we do not need Micha Owings not really about Danks.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
My point was why we do not need Micha Owings not really about Danks.

i understand im just saying if we ship a guy like danks off in a trade (which is unlikely anyways) that owings would then slide in a take his role, and the value in acquiring a guy like owings in a trade for konerko would be that it would allow us to trade danks (or owings for that matter) right now

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Would they dare take just a chance on Anderson?

Eventually they may well do so. But right now, until Anderson shows something, or at least puts up decent numbers in AAA again...all they have to do is wait around and expect that eventually the Sox may DFA him so they can grab him for nothing or he'll run out of minor league options and we'll have to give him up for nothing that way.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Is there a way we can move Crede, Quentin and one of those AAA pitchers to the Rays for Crawford? They'd be smart to get a veteran, short-term 3rd baseman to keep the position warm for Longoria.

Iwamura isn't cutting it for you?

Just gotta say...

Wow, I'm happy about this trade. One of the few in the KW regime that I've immediately thought we've won (the Thome trade immediately comes to mind as another). Quentin's got a great eye, power and bat control and in a couple years could play like Bobby Abreu in his prime. The fact that we didn't give up Danks or Fields or anyone in the upper minors makes it even better.

I say stick him in right, Anderson in center (not gonna happen, but a guy can hope) and Dye in left and we finally have a respectable outfield (great defense, good hitting).

FWIW the guy on WSI who claimed he had a source in the arizona office and reported the quentin deal an hour before anyone......said that KW initially asked for chris young for PK and was promptly turned down lol

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
FWI, they're are going to be talking White Sox baseball coming up on MLB.TV's live coverage of the winter meetings. If they mention anything news worthy, I'll post it here. Should be tons of news on Quentin.

Thanks!

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
Writing has gotta be on the wall for Sweeney and Anderson doesn't it? It's probably been on the wall for a while.

The writing that has always been on the wall is that when and if they perform well they'll play for the Sox or be attractive enough trade. SWEENEY IS 22 YEARS OLD! HE'S 22 YEARS OLD. The guy we just got (which I am very happy about) is 25. There is certainly plenty of time for Sweeney to find himself on the Sox. Go out and dominate AAA, he hasn't done that yet.

Anderson was never going to go into the 2008 season with a spot on the team. He needs to prove he's healthy and prove he can hit in the minors. If he destroys AAA pitching (I'd like to see that) some other team will want him if we don't have room for him.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
The writing that has always been on the wall is that when and if they perform well they'll play for the Sox or be attractive enough trade. SWEENEY IS 22 YEARS OLD! HE'S 22 YEARS OLD. The guy we just got (which I am very happy about) is 25. There is certainly plenty of time for Sweeney to find himself on the Sox. Go out and dominate AAA, he hasn't done that yet.

Anderson was never going to go into the 2008 season with a spot on the team. He needs to prove he's healthy and prove he can hit in the minors. If he destroys AAA pitching (I'd like to see that) some other team will want him if we don't have room for him.

I tend to agree that Sweeney at least belongs in Charlotte again, unless some team wants him specifically and that helps the club in trade. But with him being at a low-ish point value-wise, but still with his potential, better to let him go into 2008 healthy and in AAA.

Anderson, well... I think he's just burned too many bridges at this point.

Ha, the White Sox get the guy I wanted (Quentin was my version of Chad Tracy from an off-season or 2 ago).

It sucks losing Carter since he's our best position prospect and has 30HR potential. But since he was only in low A ball this season, he's still got a ways to go.

But I love the acquisition of Quentin. He struggled with injury this season, with the shoulder issues he had. And I think he's got quite a bit of rehab to do still IIRC.

But he is young, and he'll be under our control for about 5 season. He's a plus defender in LF, he's got good plate discipline, and he should give you around .280 wth 20-25 HR's a season.

We're basically buying low on him. This time last season, after what he did for the D-Backs at the end of 2006, well it would have been VERY hard to get him.

Merkin on now:

- Quentin deal a good one, on the lines of Lee/Pods trade.

- Still in hunt for CF in Rowand or Crisp, not done in the outfield yet.

- Crede/Fields talk. Nothing new, issues has to be settled.

- No on Tejada, still in Cabrara race, but not on top off the pecking order.

- KW unpredictable, Colon and Garcia as examples.

- Impact of Mark/Dye not being on the market.

- Talking about O. Cabrara trade, major upgrade. Good clubhouse guy.

- Pen talk, comparing '05 to '07 pens.

- KW banking on the young starting pitchers.

- Talking about Jenks outs streak last season.

- Getting anything done this winter meeting, depends on Santana with Crisp.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Merkin on now:

just to clarify the lee pods deal was only mentioned along the lines of the quentin deal in that they were both deals that took place at the winter meetings

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – In one year, Carlos Quentin went from the Arizona Diamondbacks' right fielder for the next decade to a giveaway in a trade.

OK, the Diamondbacks received prospect Chris Carter from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for Quentin on Monday, and Carter is a 20-year-old with huge power potential. Yet a low-A first baseman, no matter how he projects, seems scant return on a hitter who put up huge numbers across the minor leagues, slugged nine home runs in his first 150 major-league at-bats and only struggled last season, an injury-hampered one.

Quentin's exit from Arizona was a given, with Eric Byrnes in left field, Chris Young in center and Justin Upton in right, and perhaps that drove down his market. Still, Carter, a power hitter with excellent plate discipline but a propensity to strike out, is two, maybe three years away, and in a weak National League the Diamondbacks are a starting pitcher away from being West division favorites. Packaging Quentin and Double-A outfielder Carlos Gonzalez could have brought that.

Instead, Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes went for potential, as the majority of Arizona's loaded farm system has graduated to the major leagues. Who knows? Carter may mash. Quentin may falter.

For now, though, the White Sox have their left fielder of the future while the hole in Arizona's rotation looks as big as ever.

Jeff Passan

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
just to clarify the lee pods deal was only mentioned along the lines of the quentin deal in that they were both deals that took place at the winter meetings

but it was mentioned on the lines of "who knew Pods would play a key part to a world championship." Showing the value of deals during the winter meetings.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Merkin on now:

So who gets traded for Crisp then? I've read the red sox are looking for good prospects. We wouldn't actually give up Gio/Egbert/Fields/DLS for Coco Crisp, right? Because if that's the case they can keep him. I'd give them Kyle McCulloch and a choice of a reliever. I don't think he's worth much more than that