You knew it was coming

fathom

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 03:39 AM)
I am really starting to think 05 was a fluke, fools gold.

KW, i dont care about your emotions being hurt, your job is to make trades and sign players. Stop making excuses.

KW, still playing patty cake with our emotions.

The Sox pitched well in 2005, so in that regard, it was a bit fluky. But they got outstanding defense all year and that very much aided the team's outstanding pitching. On top of that, the team was smoke and mirrors offensively; they were barely better than last year's White Sox who let Andy freakin Gonzalez get 200+ PAs. It does not change the fact, however, that it was a very well built team; there was no weakness in the lineup, the pitching staff performed very well, and the bench served its purpose throughout the year.

In 2006, a weakness was exposed in the offense in the second half in that they could no longer hit left-handed pitching. Add to it that the Sox had 3 terrible hitters in the lineup (2 returning players, surprise surprise), the rotation took a complete dump (this was also the time period where Garland started building up this overrated reputation that he still currently owns), and the bullpen imploded, and the Sox were a terrible team. In the first half of the year, the Sox were one of the best teams in the league, so they basically went 250 games of being the best team in baseball, and since the ASB of 2006, the team has completely been flipped around.

And he flat out didn't have enough pieces to make the trade for Cabrera - which does go against KW, but indirectly - and that signing Hunter for $90 mill is a mistake waiting to happen.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stolen from Cheat's blog, courtesy Joe Cowley

There will be some people in here who really like this

Asked about entering the season with John Danks and Gavin Floyd in the backend of his starting rotation, Williams responded, “Well, they’re in the back-end of the rotation now, but in 29 other rooms around the building right here these are two guys that everyone would want, and most people in the industry view as top-of-the-rotation guys. Our pitching is not going to be a problem this year. We’ll be fine in that area.’’

UHHHHHHH

andthen...

“[Gonzalez is] in a better position than last year in terms of his maturity level and progress, but he’s going to be behind John Danks and Gavin Floyd,’’ he said. “Gavin Floyd showed us last year that he’s ready for full-time big-league work, so did John Danks. The only reason that John Danks at the end of the season did not pitch the last few weeks is because we knew what we had.

...or his 6.41 ERA and 1.64 WHIP while allowing 2 homers per 9 in his final 18 starts, where he averaged 5 innings a start?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2007/12/high_praise.html

KW gets a bad rap sometimes, but those are straight up hilarious quotes because of how absurd they are.

From Williams---"And what we have started this season, I am proud of. Where we are headed is right toward being a well-rounded baseball team in all facets of the game.''

Williams isn't done adding to this team. He knows the sox need to improve just like all the Xbox GM's around here.

This guy is fricken delusional.

Williams remained confident his current roster possesses enough talent to contend.

"All this has done is put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us," Williams said.

Perhaps someone should point out the Sox record to Kenny Williams. If he thinks two players can be the difference between winning and losing 90 games in MLB, he is, as many have suspected for a long time, a fricken idiot. 2005 was a great year but apparently, Williams is not the genius architect he portrayed himself to be. He was just one lucky SOB.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
This guy is fricken delusional.

Perhaps someone should point out the Sox record to Kenny Williams. If he thinks two players can be the difference between winning and losing 90 games in MLB, he is, as many have suspected for a long time, a fricken idiot. 2005 was a great year but apparently, Williams is not the genius architect he portrayed himself to be. He was just one lucky SOB.

Haha he's definitley on something. Maybe its the "i cant make deals, good trades" crack? He is losing a ton of credibility. If every other team in baseball wanted Floyd and Danks im sure we could have added Cabrera... Eh i guess he is speaking very highly of his young cheap average to below average pitchers because thats all he has left in bargaining chips other than Crede and Uribe or maybe Fields. KW stop your whining and make a decent move.

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:41 AM)
So I should take the experts opinions who routinely pick the winners, don't they?

Uh, the reason I brought up the "experts" to begin with was because you said that "most people" saw us as contenders. Naturally, if most people did, then wouldn't the "experts" predict us to finish in playoff contention, rather than in 4th place for the most part?

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
Going into 05' I am pretty sure a lot of people saw us as contenders to win the division. It's natural, we came in 2nd the previous year and made some good moves in the offseason.

I am not saying I expected us to win the World Series but I saw no reason why we couldnt beat the Twins. Cleveland wasn't ready and were picked to win that division or be close for years. And come on Detroit or KC?

So you may be a casual fan to the extent where you need the columnists to make your mind up for you but I like to approach things the way I see them. It's not an uncommon thing. Try it, and you may want to check my history on some of that stuff.

I like how you question my fanhood, that seems like a common thing whenever someone realizes that they made a stupid comment. Read what I'm saying, most people that are involved with baseball (therefore what I assumed you meant by most people), didn't think we were going to do s*** in 2005. You saying "I thought we'd compete" just shows what your personal opinion was, and unless you've suddenly started being the person that speaks for the majority of baseball fans, it doesn't represent what "most people" believe. Sorry, but your statement that "a lot of people saw us as contenders to win the division" isn't true at all.

Furthering your ridiculous "experts" nonsense...How many of them picked us to finish 72-90 last season?

Actually, Baseball Prospectus predicted that we finished in 4th with a 72-90 record. I don't have the link exactly where they said that (someone much better than I can find it pretty easily probably), but here's a link where they thought we'd end up in fourth. I don't know the relevance of this, but they were dead on last year.

(EDIT: Here's the Soxtalk thread about it)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
This quote makes me really scratch my head and wonder what the hell he is talking about

"All this does is put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us"????

I am pretty sure the Tigers aren't worrying about us. Cleveland won the division last year. I think they are a little more worried about contending with Cleveland than they are with us. We will be contending with KC for last place.

That quote from KW indicates he probably is in dire need of therapy, and probably has forgotten what has taken place the last season and a half.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 05:31 AM)
From Williams---"And what we have started this season, I am proud of. Where we are headed is right toward being a well-rounded baseball team in all facets of the game.''

Williams isn't done adding to this team. He knows the sox need to improve just like all the Xbox GM's around here.

He isn't going to get the pieces he wanted, though. He doesn't have the money or prospects to compete with other GM's offers.

We're going to end up with more piece-meal deals like Linebrink for way too much money and a solid SP with one year for a solid, older SS with one year.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 05:18 AM)
Stolen from Cheat's blog, courtesy Joe Cowley

There will be some people in here who really like this

Asked about entering the season with John Danks and Gavin Floyd in the backend of his starting rotation, Williams responded, “Well, they’re in the back-end of the rotation now, but in 29 other rooms around the building right here these are two guys that everyone would want, and most people in the industry view as top-of-the-rotation guys. Our pitching is not going to be a problem this year. We’ll be fine in that area.’’

UHHHHHHH

KW gets a bad rap sometimes, but those are straight up hilarious quotes because of how absurd they are.

See, if that quote were true, Miguel Cabrera would be at 3rd base next year. That's my take on it.

Its embarrassing to be a Sox fan today.

He is a pompous jerk that is a failure. The team is a mess, the minor leagues a joke, and he handles PR like he's some sort of success. Point is, we now know how much input Roland Hemond had into 2005. Look whats happened since. These are ravings of a mad man and simply proves he has no thought process. He should be removed by the board of directors immediately

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)
That sums up my feelings. Especially the firesale should've occured in May or june and the Rick Hahn part.

Quality. Not many other words able to describe that.

I will probably print this out and bring it to SoxFest.

If I was going, I would either do one of two things:

A. Hire Lewis Black and have him b**** Kenny Williams out like he does President Bush

OR

B. Ask, "Kenny, why did you screw us over for the next few years? Honestly, you are a piss poor GM. When can we expect a decent trade and a better farm system? You piece of s***. Screw any of you who sticks up for him. Go White Sox. *Walks away and flicks him off as I do*"

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
This trade really really sucked and looks worse by the day.

Package Garland in some blockbuster.

Dumb trade.

Considering the fact the Sox traded Garland to free up $$ for Hunter, then have him sign with the Angels is even more laughable. The Angels basically traded Orlando for Garland and Hunter.

Although, the Angels must have been pissed when Torii said he would have signed for less to play in Ana at his press conference!

All in all, Kenny isn't the only dumb GM out there.

The quote about Danks is hysteical as well. KW is now desperately reaching out to all those who think he could do no wrong. There actually will be people who will buy some of this BS just because of 2005. These quotes really should be an embarrassment to the White Sox organization. They must think the fans of their team are stupid.

1. I agree with Rowand44, in that, honestly, does it matter what he says? Especially when he's notorious for not being straight-forward anyway?

2. The only thing in that article that bothers me is his comments about other GM's. Not that it isn't true, because he's probably right. But because for one thing, he talks too much about it himself. And for another, he's going to burn some bridges doing that, which serves no purpose.

3. Try to differentiate between Gonzales' words and Kenny's quotes. This is one of the reasons why I point out what awful beat writers the Sox have in the various papers. MG has a habit of surrounding quotes that are one thing, with conjecture and exaggeration of his own mind, to make it seem like things are being said that are not.

Williams remained confident his current roster possesses enough talent to contend.

"All this has done is put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us," Williams said.

If KW really belives this he needs to resign today! That is is arrogance at it's finest he looks like a 5 yr old.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
1. I agree with Rowand44, in that, honestly, does it matter what he says? Especially when he's notorious for not being straight-forward anyway?

2. The only thing in that article that bothers me is his comments about other GM's. Not that it isn't true, because he's probably right. But because for one thing, he talks too much about it himself. And for another, he's going to burn some bridges doing that, which serves no purpose.

3. Try to differentiate between Gonzales' words and Kenny's quotes. This is one of the reasons why I point out what awful beat writers the Sox have in the various papers. MG has a habit of surrounding quotes that are one thing, with conjecture and exaggeration of his own mind, to make it seem like things are being said that are not.

The quote in the Sun Times blog about the pitching staff, especially the quote saying the reason Danks sat down the last month was because the White Sox knew what they had and what they think they have is a top of the rotation starter is just delusional if true.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
The quote in the Sun Times blog about the pitching staff, especially the quote saying the reason Danks sat down the last month was because the White Sox knew what they had and what they think they have is a top of the rotation starter is just delusional if true.

Agreed. But it isn't, and he knows that.

He was sent down because he was struggling, he was tired, and the club wanted to see Floyd in action.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
It should be Rowand or bust at this point if we want to win anything in 2008. At this point, I don't care what it takes to get a player.

ROWAND IS MEDIOCRE!!!!

It's unfortunate that most White Sox fans believe he's great. It's also unfortunate that the FO of the White Sox thinks he's great.

The Sox really ought to sign Fukudome.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
Agreed. But it isn't, and he knows that.

He was sent down because he was struggling, he was tired, and the club wanted to see Floyd in action.

And more than anything, they were upset that he wasn't competing.