Your official Cub predictions for '08?

shipps

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
With the mess that the Orioles have been over the past decade or so, sucking with players who don't make a lot of money is still a step above sucking with a few players making a good amount of money. At least maybe you're building something around guys like Markakis if you're sucking with guys who don't make much money.

I completely agree.

Maybe a couple of the Cubs guys pan out for the Orioles, whereas Brian Roberts alone doesn't really help them now or in the future.

If they parlay their highly-paid veterans into a decent amount of prospects and then get lucky with a fair amount of them, they might be able to rise back to relevance.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
I completely agree.

Maybe a couple of the Cubs guys pan out for the Orioles, whereas Brian Roberts alone doesn't really help them now or in the future.

If they parlay their highly-paid veterans into a decent amount of prospects and then get lucky with a fair amount of them, they might be able to rise back to relevance.

More than that, look how Tampa Bay did it. If they stink for a few years, they pile up top 10 draft picks, some of whom hit the big leagues at a reasonable cost. Suddenly they're looking at Markakis and Jones in the OF, both still cheap, a couple of other cheap guys in the IF, and the ability to sign a guy or two to fill holes.

You have to be patient, which Angelos has not been so far. But even in the AL East, a solid rebuilding plan can put you over the top.

There's a lot of "pie" related jokes you could use for Felix there.

As for Balta's post above, I completely agree. Just look at what people are predicting for the Rays this season.

But unfortunately, Angelos just has absolute no patience whatsoever for ebuilding. He knows that'll mean attendance will drop etc. and he'll lose money, so he doesn't want to go down that path, even though it's the right one.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I've completely missed this thread. I see it was started in February. Anyway, as much as I hate to admit it, I think the Cubs will win the pathetic NL Central once again. Now, if Ben Sheets AND Eric Gagne are healthy ( BIG ASS IF), I like the Brewers. And I know I'll be in the minority when I say this much -- look out for the Pirates this year. They've got some serious young talent, especially their pitching.

Note: The Diamondbacks will take the NL this year. Mark these words of JFL.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
The Soriano move to the 2nd spot is likely a sign of a Roberts acquisition.

It's also the dumbest place you could put him.

He should be a middle-of-the-order guy, not a #2 hitter.

I don't know if they have a true #2 hitter on their team, though. Maybe Fukudome could be that guy, but I haven't seen enough of him to say.

QUOTE(Jordan4life @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
Wow, I've completely missed this thread. I see it was started in February. Anyway, as much as I hate to admit it, I think the Cubs will win the pathetic NL Central once again. Now, if Ben Sheets AND Eric Gagne are healthy ( BIG ASS IF), I like the Brewers. And I know I'll be in the minority when I say this much -- look out for the Pirates this year. They've got some serious young talent, especially their pitching.

Note: The Diamondbacks will take the NL this year. Mark these words of JFL.

They were my words on February 25th in this thread but I agree with you completely.

Edited by Jenks Heat

• 4 weeks later...

Hilarious conversation I just had with cubs fans on the EL.

"The Sox are going to be terrible this year, they are so old, Konerko, Thome and Dye are declining with age and they areonly going to get worse."

me: "Well thats why the Cubs may be bad, all of your players are getting over 30, what about DLEE's age?"

"Lee is still young, he will probably get better this year."

me: "Lee is older than Konerko"

"Oh"

I think the Cubs will have just enough fire power to win the division. The Brewers pitching isn't that deep and is injury prone. It's funny that you hear Pinella say "no excuses" to start the season and then 2 games in complain about the weather, day games and have Dempster crying about the boos. I know it's early and Lou likes to tinker with his line ups but, you'd think he'd have worked out a few sets he was comfortable with in Spring Training. I think DeRosa is the best fit for the two spot in their line up.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
I had a Cubs fan try to explain to me that Henry Blanco is a great hitter on another forum I visit.

Hilarious

Only when he faces the whitesox, he always seems to crush us. As for the Cubs I definitely think they will be playoff contenders at the very least, Marmol and Wood are 2 filthy guys to end their games too.

• 5 months later...