2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Over/under on Cubs homers tonight is 3.5 Facing Shawn Estes with the wind blowing out 20 mph will make for a long game.

3 pitches...1 HR

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow khal greenes HR woulda been gone no matter how the wind was blowing...how can the cubs justify keeping marquis in the rotation when they seem as though they have plenty of other options (gallagher, marshall, lieber)

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 13, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
LMAO, who chooses the singers of the seventh inning stretch? Seriously, one of the Duran Duran lead singers? How random

The 7th inning stretch at Wrigley is super lame. Plenty of Cub fans would agree.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 13, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
LMAO, who chooses the singers of the seventh inning stretch? Seriously, one of the Duran Duran lead singers? How random

sure beats the Fremd girls gymnastics team

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)

It was funny because I was watching the game with a friend I went to an 80's party with this weekend for about 5 innings. She was all dressed for it and I told her she "looked like a Duran Duran groupie". We both laughed and agreed that was rude of me to say, since Duran Duran was irrelevant even by 80's standards. So the game is on tonight, and shortly after I leave to go home, they show it's Duran Duran doing the 7th inning stretch. Immediately my phone rings and we laugh for about 10 minutes.

/random story

Anyways, Boers and Bernstein have been masters of Cub predictions this season. First they said how the Cubs would sweep Washington, and they lost 2 of 3. Then they said they'd sweep Cincy and they lost 2 of 3. Now, they say "Shawn Estes will get an ass waxing tonight" and the Cubs lose 4-3. Stay hot, fellas.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2008 -> 10:56 PM)
It was funny because I was watching the game with a friend I went to an 80's party with this weekend for about 5 innings. She was all dressed for it and I told her she "looked like a Duran Duran groupie". We both laughed and agreed that was rude of me to say, since Duran Duran was irrelevant even by 80's standards. So the game is on tonight, and shortly after I leave to go home, they show it's Duran Duran doing the 7th inning stretch. Immediately my phone rings and we laugh for about 10 minutes.

/random story

Anyways, Boers and Bernstein have been masters of Cub predictions this season. First they said how the Cubs would sweep Washington, and they lost 2 of 3. Then they said they'd sweep Cincy and they lost 2 of 3. Now, they say "Shawn Estes will get an ass waxing tonight" and the Cubs lose 4-3. Stay hot, fellas.

They also said they would destroy Livan Hernandez during the playoffs last year. That didn't work out.

I want to say first that I love listening to B&B, they really crack me up. But they also dont believe in anything that is unquantifiable(sp?). Bernstein rips on anyone who mentions anything to do with momentum, he just doesnt believe that there is such a force in sports. So when they make their arguments, they are mostly based on something that they can quantify, ie. the cubs will destroy the nationals because the nationals are 10 games under .500 and the Cubs are really good, the Cubs will destroy Livan Hernandez because he is a mediocre pitcher at this stage in his life and the Cubs feast on those types of pitchers. There are no such thing as big game pitchers or hitters that live for the big moments in their eyes, only a guy who was waiting for the right pitch at the right time.

And it isnt something that someone can explain to them. Peope have tried and have been shot down summarily. Its just one of their quirks

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
I want to say first that I love listening to B&B, they really crack me up. But they also dont believe in anything that is unquantifiable(sp?). Bernstein rips on anyone who mentions anything to do with momentum, he just doesnt believe that there is such a force in sports. So when they make their arguments, they are mostly based on something that they can quantify, ie. the cubs will destroy the nationals because the nationals are 10 games under .500 and the Cubs are really good, the Cubs will destroy Livan Hernandez because he is a mediocre pitcher at this stage in his life and the Cubs feast on those types of pitchers. There are no such thing as big game pitchers or hitters that live for the big moments in their eyes, only a guy who was waiting for the right pitch at the right time.

And it isnt something that someone can explain to them. Peope have tried and have been shot down summarily. Its just one of their quirks

i am in complete disagreement with lol. i hate B&B (every thing they say, every caller, every guest doesnt have to be made into a joke...they are on sports talk radio, not a comedy central roast), but their objective and quantifiable opinions are absolutely a huge plus in my book (even if they dont work out on occasion) ....after all, the rest of the entire world relies on things that are quanitifiable and justifiable with logic and reason

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 14, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)
i am in complete disagreement with lol. i hate B&B (every thing they say, every caller, every guest doesnt have to be made into a joke...they are on sports talk radio, not a comedy central roast), but their objective and quantifiable opinions are absolutely a huge plus in my book (even if they dont work out on occasion) ....after all, the rest of the entire world relies on things that are quanitifiable and justifiable with logic and reason

Thats fine to disagree, I dont mind. I just dont think everything can be decided by a number on a piece of paper, especially with baseball(the saying you dont win games on paper applies a lot in the game), and many times this is the basis of a B&B disagreement with a caller. As you say, some times they dont work out, and when that happens there isnt a lot of culpa mea out of them, they just move on and forget about it.

And you are right, everythign doesnt need to be turned into a joke with them

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
Bruce Levine reporting it's almost a given Edmonds will sign with the Cubs. An unlikeable cast of characters becomes even more unlikeable.

So, he refused to play in a real park, so that he can play in a relic.

The Cubs and Sox aren't that far apart in winning. The Sox just haven't been hitting much since late... 2006.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 14, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)

It's one of the things that makes them look dumb a lot too. I agree with a lot of what they say in regards to the numbers don't lie and sports aren't as complicated as people make them seem. However, the unquantifiable happens a lot in sports, that's why it's almost impossible to gamble really well on them, and it's also why people watch.

If sports were limited to the quantifiable exclusively, they'd be easy to predict and there'd be no point to watch. The weird s*** that happens in sports are why we love them, it's the truest and best form of reality television. I listen to B&B quite a bit and they are good and pretty funny, but their immediate dismissal of many senarios in sport are both stupid and make them look dumb, a lot.

As for Jim Edmonds.....he's beyond done. That move will crash and burn times 10, even if Pie can't hit, he's arguably a better hitter than the current, old Jim Edmonds and at least Pie can run and field well. Makes no sense to me at all, and that's even if I look at this with a fair perspective. I don't like the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but you don't send down your best defensive OF (by far) to sign a washed up and mediocre player when your in first place and lead the league in offense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Cubs obviously don't have much confidence in Pie. First Reed Johnson and now another old bum who's best days are well behind him.

Cubs fans really thought Johnson was going to keep up the .300+ BA and .400+ OBP

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 15, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
How do cub pitchers strike out at least one guy just about every inning. Zambrano I get but Lilly and Dempster and doing it to.

Because those 3 are a pretty good 3 man rotation? Dempser's batting average against is phenomenal. At this point, the only way I see them not cruising to the NL Central is if Zambrano or Marmol get hurt.