Konerko to "get some rest for awhile"

Steve9347

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Seriously? Thome has been right up there with CQ and JD for the past 2 months.

My bad on Thome. I forgot how far he has come in June and July since coming into June with .183 BA and a .664 OPS.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
Paulie is going to get every chance in the world to snap out of his funk. The sox probably can't make the playoffs w/o Paulie carrying his weight offensively [as guys like Dye, AJ, Quentin, and Alexei will probably see their numbers drop]. Unless these guys keep up their hitting, and Joe, Swisher, and Thome get hot, the sox will need PK's bat. They certainly need a less intense PK, w/o all the bat throwing, and yelling at himself.

I don't think PK will sit for long if at all. I could see him getting an extra day off at least 1, 2 times a week though, if he's still struggling.

i think this is part of the problem. dude is wound waaaaaaay too tight right now.

Edited by thedoctor

I don't see why some people think this team is dead without Paulie. He's been crap all year and we are in first. We played awesome while he was on the DL. Back in '05 did anyone think the team would be a winner let alone wire to wire missing Frank pretty much the whole year?

also, off-topic, Ozzie needs to be more proactive with this pitching staff, if you see the sox with a commanding lead like yesterday and all of the sudden the wheels start coming off , pull him out and let the guys in the pen handle the rest of the game

Bulls***. Oz's strategy with the staff is fine. The starters have to get their head out of their collective asses and go into the seventh inning. If Clayton can't pitch five, don't start him, but you don't get somebody up after a hit and a walk in the fifth if he has a shutout going. I can't believe so many people refuse to blame the players and not the manager. It's so typical arm chair quarterbacking. If players can't produce, including pitchers, don't start them. They have to be able to go at least six innings.

Find a post where I haven't admitted Paulie has sucked. I don't condone booing of him or bashing of him because of what he has meant to the franchise. I said Oz should bat him eighth. I am saying it: Paulie has sucked this season. I blame the players. Swish also has sucked. Some of the relievers have been horses*** of late as well as the starters.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
I don't see why some people think this team is dead without Paulie. He's been crap all year and we are in first. We played awesome while he was on the DL. Back in '05 did anyone think the team would be a winner let alone wire to wire missing Frank pretty much the whole year?

The reason why they were winning wasn't because Paulie wasn't playing. It was the pitching. Most find it rather obvious that the pitching had to come down to earth at least a little bit. Now they need to score runs. They need Paulie to snap out of it. Its unlikely Wise will keep up the pace he's on, and offensively if Paulie is on his game,he's one of the better hitters on the team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
670 just played that little tidbit. Looks like we can start winning games again with Swish at 1st, and BA/Wise splitting CF duties. It's about time.

I kinda like that lineup better. I think it also makes the middle of the order much less of a base clog.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
Bulls***. Oz's strategy with the staff is fine. The starters have to get their head out of their collective asses and go into the seventh inning. If Clayton can't pitch five, don't start him, but you don't get somebody up after a hit and a walk in the fifth if he has a shutout going. I can't believe so many people refuse to blame the players and not the manager. It's so typical arm chair quarterbacking. If players can't produce, including pitchers, don't start them. They have to be able to go at least six innings.

I wouldn't mind seeing Egbert make Richard's next start. He's been coming around after his rough start after his injury.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
off-topic slightly (i do this a lot, sorry)

anyone notice how hard mauer hits the ball? watching that guy hit, his swing generates a lot of power, on linedrives, grounders, pretty much everything he hits, it looks very hard to field his balls in play beyond popouts

i heard Bill Melton mention that they purposely cut down when they hit balls low in the zone to keep it on the ground, using the fields speed to their advantage

there's no doubt that they tailor their hitting approach to that turf, it's a smart move that pays off year after year in banking on those home wins to keep them in the div. race..... it would be cool to hear a current/former twins player confirm this

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
i find it funny that everyone believes "The Sox need Konerko healthy and performing to be competitive this year"

we've done fine for 2/3 of the season without him, I don't see anything changing

putting Swish at 1st and BA in CF, this helps our defense out tremendously and limits the odds of us beating ourselves

also, off-topic, Ozzie needs to be more proactive with this pitching staff, if you see the sox with a commanding lead like yesterday and all of the sudden the wheels start coming off , pull him out and let the guys in the pen handle the rest of the game

edit: listening to the score, these guys are so unbelievably pro-Cubbies anti-Sox (Especially Bernstein and Holmes, to the point of being hilarious), it's hard to listen. The twins are flawed in as many areas as the Sox are, they're very similar to the Texas Rangers on the road, something about the Metrodome changes the complexion of that team, just as it changes the Sox complexion when they play at home. the Score guys give up so easily when the Sox start playing poorly, it's laughable. the way they approach the subject, is as if the Sox are 8 games out and it's unrealistic to expect the Sox to compete for the Division or WC

i seriously cannot take 90% of that station seriously anymore. were they this bad in 2005 when the Sox were losing their lead in the second half? i didn't start listening to the score until 2007

They didnt have the broadcasting rights til 06, but I agree with you on the 'pro-cub' nonsense they spout. With few exceptions, they lean toward the cubs. Cant stand Boers or Bernstein, and Holmes aims too much for every controversial topic he can think of for me to listen any length of time to him.

Edited by sox84

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
Any real surprise? Remember the whole lineup change rant in Tampa?

Give him to the end of the roadtrip.

The quote the Score had was from before the game yesterday. Paulie had a couple of decent ABs, so its not like Ozzie changed his mind this time.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
That's not the way it's printed. Give your dad some scratch, Ozzie! How much of that $23 million he made while playing do you think he still has sitting around?

Note: I am mostly kidding around. It may very well be that Ozzie's dad doesn't want his money.

He didn't mention that his dad owns the "Ozzie Guillen Theme Park" in Venezuela, and has a 11K sq ft house with a $10K/mo mortgage

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
The reason why they were winning wasn't because Paulie wasn't playing. It was the pitching. Most find it rather obvious that the pitching had to come down to earth at least a little bit. Now they need to score runs. They need Paulie to snap out of it. Its unlikely Wise will keep up the pace he's on, and offensively if Paulie is on his game,he's one of the better hitters on the team.

Well said

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
Nobody commenting on the fact that Konerko hit the ball pretty hard last night in a couple of at-bats, eh?

Great, he hit safely and had a moral victory (line out) in one game. Now let's see him string together four/five consecutive, multi-hit games. That's the only way I'll consider him out of his slump.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
PK is in the lineup tonight! :gosoxretro:

Lets predict what Paulie does today................I say 1-4, we lose and this controversy continues!

I'm hoping for something different though.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
And benching him for the time being is the way for him to show you this?

No, you just judge him over a series of two/three games. I don't care if it's unfair, either.

If he's 0-8, 2 GIDP and 3 K's over the stretch then you bench him for several days. Otherwise, what determines whether he stays around?

QUOTE (sox84 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
They didnt have the broadcasting rights til 06, but I agree with you on the 'pro-cub' nonsense they spout. With few exceptions, they lean toward the cubs. Cant stand Boers or Bernstein, and Holmes aims too much for every controversial topic he can think of for me to listen any length of time to him.

IIRC Bernstein is a Sox fan. There are times when you could come here and not know for certain if it's a Sox fan site or not, and that could be expected based on how the team plays. Fans become critical of their team with bad play.