Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

Ummm guys. It's looking like the deal isnt a deal after all so why the hype?

If it turns out to be true then I have no problem trading Dye for Bailey straight up. Dye and his whopping .210 average with RISP will not be missed. Besides, despite Dye having a decent 08 season he was one of the problems (Thome, Swisher, Paulie, Dye) that couldnt drive runs in so I dont see what we would be missing if Dye's over paid ass was traded.

If this rumor is true then I say good f***ing riddence and see if Cinci would be interested in Paulie and Thome too. Im sick of seeing multi millionaires under achieving. If were going to have s***ty production then let it be from some younger kids that are eager to play.

The middle of the order sucked to say the least and was flat. Change is needed and it's time for Kenny to take out the trash as he has already started to do with Swisher and Javy. I can only hope there are more trades to follow soon.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:19 AM)

If it turns out to be true then I have no problem trading Dye for Bailey straight up. Dye and his whopping .210 average with RISP will not be missed. Besides, despite Dye having a decent 08 season he was one of the problems (Thome, Swisher, Paulie, Dye) that couldnt drive runs in so I dont see what we would be missing if Dye's over paid ass was traded.

If this rumor is true then I say good f***ing riddence and see if Cinci would be interested in Paulie and Thome too. Im sick of seeing multi millionaires under achieving. If were going to have s***ty production then let it be from some younger kids that are eager to play.

The middle of the order sucked to say the least and was flat. Change is needed and it's time for Kenny to take out the trash as he has already started to do with Swisher and Javy. I can only hope there are more trades to follow soon.

What on Earth are you talking about? After CQ, Dye was our biggest producer. For reference, he batted .269 with RISP (.210 RISP w/2 out). He couldn't drive in runs? .292/34/96 on a station to station team begs to differ, not to mention he was 2nd in the AL in extra base hits, something the White Sox sorely lacked. To say good riddance to Jermaine Dye is just despicable and classless.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:27 AM)
What on Earth are you talking about? After CQ, Dye was our biggest producer. For reference, he batted .269 with RISP (.210 RISP w/2 out). He couldn't drive in runs? .292/34/96 on a station to station team begs to differ, not to mention he was 2nd in the AL in extra base hits, something the White Sox sorely lacked. To say good riddance to Jermaine Dye is just despicable and classless.

Class is over rated but I would agree that Im despicable and so was the production of the 4-7 batters in the order which is the point here. I watched every game and saw Dye as well as the rest of the middle of the order leave runner after runner stranded on base. The .210 average was with two and thats my mistake for not pointing that out. At least you understood what I was getting at. The .269 with less than two out isnt much better and below league average. With guys like OC and Carlos getting on base Dye should have easily led the team in RBI and didnt despite Carlos missing almost the entire month of Septemeber.

Call it what you want and make any excuse you want but I call call it flat out pathetic.

One more thing. It's not what you hit but when you hit it. Dye didnt hit much when the Sox really needed him to and thats the point. If this rumor is true he will NOT be missed.

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:45 AM)
Class is over rated but I would agree that Im despicable and so was the production of the 4-7 batters in the order which is the point here. I watched every game and saw Dye as well as the rest of the middle of the order leave runner after runner stranded on base. The .210 average was with two and thats my mistake for not pointing that out. At least you understood what I was getting at. The .269 with less than two out isnt much better and below league average. With guys like OC and Carlos getting on base Dye should have easily led the team in RBI and didnt despite Carlos missing almost the entire month of Septemeber.

Call it what you want and make any excuse you want but I call call it flat out pathetic.

One more thing. It's not what you hit but when you hit it. Dye didnt hit much when the Sox really needed him to and thats the point. If this rumor is true he will NOT be missed.

He will not be missed by you, but by everyone else, yes.

I'll miss Dye.

He signed with the Sox for less than market value. He honored a verbal agreement with KW to sign even after Texas offered more money than the Sox.

He drove in the winning run in Game 4 (was MVP) of the '05 Series, gave his body up in RF all the time, and WAS a clutch hitter, no matter what anyone says.

PS he lead the team in BA last season and averaged over 30 HRs every year that he's been with the Sox.

I wish that Thome could go and he would stay.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 05:10 AM)
I'll miss Dye.

He signed with the Sox for less than market value. He honored a verbal agreement with KW to sign even after Texas offered more money than the Sox.

He drove in the winning run in Game 4 (was MVP) of the '05 Series, gave his body up in RF all the time, and WAS a clutch hitter, no matter what anyone says.

PS he lead the team in BA last season and averaged over 30 HRs every year that he's been with the Sox.

I could not have said it better.

How has Thome been under achieving? Ever since he's been near the top of the list in OPS for DH's every since he's been here and we've only been paying him around $8 million for each season. I assume you rather pay Travis HGHafner $13 million a year to see his OPS drop 200 points each season?

This trade will probably go through. Then KW moves on to his next moves and fills all the remaining holes in the lineup. First off,he signs Furcal.Then, he trades Broadway for Tavares. Finally,in his last move,he swaps Jenks to the Brewers for Corey Hart. The Sox just got younger, cheaper, and better. THe lineup looks like:

SS-Furcal

2b-Ramirez

LF-Quentin

DH-Thome

RF-Hart

1b-Konerko

C-AJ

3b-Fields

CF-Tavares

bench:Betemit, Getz,BA, Wise/Owens,backup C

SP:MB,Floyd, Danks, Bailey, Marquez/Poreda

RP:Marquez/Poreda,Russel/Carasco,Dotel, Thornton, Linebrink,Link(??)

I wonder if David Weathers accepting arb from the Reds.............they now will have to pay him around $4 million next year........had any effect on this deal. If the Reds are/were balking at the money, having to pay a 39 year old mediocre at best relief pitcher $4 million could have put a wrench into things.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
This trade will probably go through. Then KW moves on to his next moves and fills all the remaining holes in the lineup. First off,he signs Furcal.Then, he trades Broadway for Tavares. Finally,in his last move,he swaps Jenks to the Brewers for Corey Hart. The Sox just got younger, cheaper, and better. THe lineup looks like:

SS-Furcal

2b-Ramirez

LF-Quentin

DH-Thome

RF-Hart

1b-Konerko

C-AJ

3b-Fields

CF-Tavares

bench:Betemit, Getz,BA, Wise/Owens,backup C

SP:MB,Floyd, Danks, Bailey, Marquez/Poreda

RP:Marquez/Poreda,Russel/Carasco,Dotel, Thornton, Linebrink,Link(??)

Don't forget the added pieces to Colorado to get Street along with Tavares. He would be the closer in your scenario.

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)

good f***ing riddence to Dye? He's trash?

I'm speechless.

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:19 AM)

You're pretty much speaking only for you, but definitely not me as a Sox fan

This floored me. It's not like he drove in the winning run in the 8th inning to win the world series or anything like that. If you aren't going to miss JD, you are not a White Sox fan. The man has done just as much for our franchise in the last 100 years as almost anyone in our history. JD will be missed greatly, and I will hate to see him in another uniform.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
This floored me. It's not like he drove in the winning run in the 8th inning to win the world series or anything like that. If you aren't going to miss JD, you are not a White Sox fan. The man has done just as much for our franchise in the last 100 years as almost anyone in our history. JD will be missed greatly, and I will hate to see him in another uniform.

Or... like... won the MVP of that series, or anything like that

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:10 AM)
I'll miss Dye.

Agreed.

Besides CQ this season, Dye's probably been my favorite hitter for the Sox over the past few seasons. He never complained, he took less $$$ when he could have gotten a bigger pay-day elsewhere, and I think he's been argubly Kenny Williams' best signing as a free agent.

Made losing Maggilo Ordonez easier to stomach when we got similar production from JD.

If he was moved, I'd be sad for those sentimental reasons, but I know KW is trying to get younger here, which is what a lot of people have complained about over the past few years about our aging core.

I think Bailey + spect would be a good haul for Dye if you could get it, but then sign at least a LF to replace JD for 2 seasons.

A rotation of Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Bailey and Marquez / Richard looks better though.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:10 AM)
It's pretty much a perfect fit. If he's healthy, Homer Bailey is going to be a stud with the help of Don Cooper.

If Bailey can work out the kinks he could be our #1 starter in two years. He has that kind of stuff. If he was acquired now (without any other signing) I imagine we’d slot him fourth, with Floyd becoming the #2 option. So: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Bailey, CR/AP (I hope it’s AP)

:bringit

Fantastic analysis. You should start a blog.

I missed quoting the post, but whoever said I'd be happy if the deal is done, and happy if it wasn't was spot on. We would be a better team for 2010 and beyond for sure, maybe even 2009 depending on how Bailey bounced back. I would hate to see JD go as he has been a 100% class act his whole time here. He has gone about his business as an absolute professional no matter what.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:43 AM)
I missed quoting the post, but whoever said I'd be happy if the deal is done, and happy if it wasn't was spot on. We would be a better team for 2010 and beyond for sure, maybe even 2009 depending on how Bailey bounced back. I would hate to see JD go as he has been a 100% class act his whole time here. He has gone about his business as an absolute professional no matter what.

This team will be better in some areas for 2009, but KW is obviously planning a refresh of talent, which is the right direction for this club. Also this deal isnt a 1 for 1, it most definately includes other players from their side.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
This team will be better in some areas for 2009, but KW is obviously planning a refresh of talent, which is the right direction for this club. Also this deal isnt a 1 for 1, it most definately includes other players from their side.

We are heading in the right direction, there is no doubt in my mind. I would just hate to see JD leave on a personal level. I am a big fan of his, but can recognize when this makes the name on the front of the jersey better, and ultimately that is my #1 choice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
We are heading in the right direction, there is no doubt in my mind. I would just hate to see JD leave on a personal level. I am a big fan of his, but can recognize when this makes the name on the front of the jersey better, and ultimately that is my #1 choice.

Yeah, I have felt the same way about Crede the last year or two. Personally, I'm a big fan, but I realize its better for everyone involved for him to exit. It will be hard to see both of them go, at least for me.